Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2024, 05:24 PM   #1

sewer equipment issues

In testing all of our equipment in preparation for a long trip, I experienced two problems that I can't fix. I'm hoping the collective wisdom of this forum may lead to resolution.
  1. My Rhino sewer hose leaks at the twist-on connection. Specifically, water seeps out between the outside of the end of the hose and the threads on the inside of the end fitting. I've taken it apart and cleaned both the hose and fitting, gooped silicone (plumber's) grease on the inside threads, and tried to pack the same stuff into the joint where the back half of the fitting is attached to the front half of the fitting to allow rotation. The latter step didn't accomplish much but it's not leaking there.

Still, it seeps. What steps can I take or what material can I use to stop that leak? Only one fitting out of four leak. Is there some kind of caulk I can goop between the inside of the thread and the outside of the hose that will stop the leak but not prevent my disassembling it? I need to be able to do that should the hose itself spring a leak and require replacement. That's happened before.
  2. I have a macerator pump. The bayonet fittings lock onto the sewer drain connection on the trailer but not the corresponding male connections of Rhino swivel fittings. The Rhino male end is too large to fit between the bayonets on the macerator pump. I actually broke off one of the bayonets that hook around the pin on the drain (whatever you call those). The remaining three maintain a seal on the trailer drain, so it's good for now. I have a replacement pump housing but am reserving that for when I break off another of the hooks.

The female ends of the same swivels properly fit on the outside of the trailer drain and on male ends of other swivel fittings.

My purpose for the elbow and swivel is to monitor the output from the tank. What do other macerator pump owners use to connect to the trailer drain? Do you just connect directly? If you use a clear elbow of some sort, what brand is it?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 06:38 PM   #2

I use a clear section of pipe between the trailer outlet and the maceration pump mostly for entertainment but it helps to know when the black tank is empty.

Not sure what all your hoses and drain pipes are for. The macerator pump has a 3/4" ID output hose between it and the campground sewer (or whatever I'm dumping in). That's the extent of the hoses. No need for a Rhino or other 4" sewer hose or stinky slinky the grey water will run right thru the macerater even when the motor is not running. I only run the pump if I need to macerate the sewage and/or pump it some distance like into a toilet when I get home. Grey valve can stay open most of the time, fill that tank the day before needing to dump, then use it to flush the system after the black tank is pumped out -- just like without a maceration pump.

I installed a 12v power outlet at the black valve area so connecting to power is easy.

-- Chuck
Old 06-18-2024, 08:23 PM   #3

I also use a macerator system and don't see how-when- or where the large slinky hose fits into any macerator system, ... I use the Sewer Solution, in fact I'm still using the same SS pump that I got for our first trailer in 2013, yep 11 yrs no problems, because there's no gears to clog up, no motors to over heat, no electricity needed, ... a water jet is used to breakup solids and paper, and push everything thru the 3/4" ID hose, ... we also leave the gray tank valve open full time because we don't need the gray water to flush out a large hose after the black tank has emptied, ... allowing the water jet to continue to spray for another 1/2 min. or so after the black tank is emptied, does a good job of cleaning the pump and discharge hose, ...

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 10:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
I use a clear section of pipe between the trailer outlet and the maceration pump mostly for entertainment but it helps to know when the black tank is empty. ...
That's all I'm trying to accomplish with the elbows. I happen to already own a clear elbow so it's what I attempted to insert between the outlet and the pump. I tried other attachments, none fit. (All are Rhino.)

Quote:
... Not sure what all your hoses and drain pipes are for. ...
The issue with the leaking hoses is independent of the pump. The variety of "drain pipes" is addressed above.
Quote:
... The macerator pump has a 3/4" ID output hose between it and the campground sewer (or whatever I'm dumping in). That's the extent of the hoses. No need for a Rhino or other 4" sewer hose or stinky slinky the grey water will run right thru the macerater even when the motor is not running. ...
We typically camp where we don't have hookups, at least not sewer hookups. When we go to a dump station on the way out, it's easier to just hook up a simple 4" fitting and open a valve. My pump is for when I need to transport the tank contents without transporting the trailer.

Old 06-18-2024, 10:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
I also use a macerator system and don't see how-when- or where the large slinky hose fits into any macerator system,
They don't. The two issues are independent.

Quote:
... I use the Sewer Solution, ... a water jet is used to breakup solids and paper, and push everything thru the 3/4" ID hose ...
That requires water. My use of the macerator is under different conditions, possibly including no hookups on remote public land, most recently servicing the trailer in a storage lot. (I used the process as a test that everything is working and that I have everything I need.)

I pump the effluent into a portable tank in the bed of my truck. It has a side waste gate which I orient toward the tailgate. I drive to the dump station which could be 2 or 20 miles away. Depending on the circumstances, I might dump the tank by gravity or with the 12V pump, connected to my truck battery.

I have a 30 gallon water bladder I can use to carry fresh water back to the trailer on the return trip. I use the fresh water pump and external antifreeze port to pump the water from the bag in the bed of the truck backwards to the fresh water tank.

Old 06-19-2024, 07:44 AM   #6

Quote:
When we go to a dump station on the way out, it's easier to just hook up a simple 4" fitting and open a valve.
What we do as well. Just find a non leaking drain setup. The smoother the dump hose interior the better it will work and clean up. Sewer Solution like Fella10 mentioned is our normal -- wait for it -- sewer solution on full service campsites. No giant, ugly sewer hoses to trip over.

-- Chuck
Old 06-19-2024, 09:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
What we do as well. Just find a non leaking drain setup. The smoother the dump hose interior the better it will work and clean up. Sewer Solution like Fella10 mentioned is our normal -- wait for it -- sewer solution on full service campsites. No giant, ugly sewer hoses to trip over.

-- Chuck
Oh yeah, at a dump site is a whole different situation, ... I have a short setup of slinky hose just for dump site dumping, I wouldn't begin to try and use SS at a dump station, ... one time we were at a camp site where the in-ground sewer line was only three feet from our trailer sewer dump pipe, then and only then did I use the short slinky setup at a full hookup site, ... other than that one time, I've never used anything but the Sewer Solution rig in our eleven yrs. of camping with three different trailers, ...

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 10:04 AM   #8
D W

Don't know about your macerator pump, but you probably need new gaskets, and a need to reset the collars on the hose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camco 39834.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	301122  
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 02:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Don't know about your macerator pump, but you probably need new gaskets, and a need to reset the collars on the hose.
The gaskets are new. I reset the collars but one still leaks between the inside thread of the collar and the outside of the hose.

Is there a sealant I can use on the threads to reduce leakage, but still be able to disassemble them as needed?
Old 06-19-2024, 02:37 PM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
The gaskets are new. I reset the collars but one still leaks between the inside thread of the collar and the outside of the hose.

Is there a sealant I can use on the threads to reduce leakage, but still be able to disassemble them as needed?
Just like you, I fought a leaking fitting on my Rhino for a year using all kinds of tips/tricks/gaskets/sealants. Nothing worked. I emailed Rhino, explained my woes and they sent me a new fitting and I've not had a problem since. I experienced very competent customer service.

FWIW, I also have three 45º clear Rhino ells and one of them has leaked since day one. But, for <$10 at Wally World, I'll not fight that battle.

My point, Rhino is a good hose/brand but they've had some issues.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 04:11 PM   #11
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post

I don't know of any sealant. What I found out with mine about 3 years ago when it started leaking, the hose turns one way to seat in on the bayonet coupling while the collar turns in the opposite direction to tighten against the hose. you almost need three hands to get it seated. I had to get my bride to spare that 3rd hand. lol I made a promise to myself that if it started to leak again I would just get a new hose. It's currently on it's 8 year.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote