Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2012, 10:39 AM   #1

Sewer hose problem

Hi, I decided to buy a good sewer hose and purchased the Rhino 20 ft hose. (2 10 ft lengths.). I haven't had to combine the hoses yet but my problem now is the connections, which are very easy twist type, don't fit through the hole supplied in the floor of the compartment. Any suggestions in how I can fix this? I don't think they screw off easily. Does anyone have this type of problem. The kit is the brown hose with orange connections.

Thanks!
Bensonsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #2

I bought the Rhinoflex 15 foot hose kit, found the same problem (2011 Sunseeker 2300), and returned it. The tightening tabs made the connector about 1/16 of an inch too wide to fit through the hole.
I think this is unforgivable that a heavily promoted company can't do enough research and make their products fit.
Another problem with Rhino products is that the purchases must tighten the connectors to the hose. Why?
I'm also looking for a suitable 15 foot hose.
davegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:04 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not understanding your question. Where are you trying to fit the hose? Is it storage in a 'docking station'? What is the camper?

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:10 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Dave, I think there valves are in a cubby and the hose runs out the bottom .
So that's "safe" from thiefs lol .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
I'm not understanding your question. Where are you trying to fit the hose? Is it storage in a 'docking station'? What is the camper?

Dave
The Sunseeker 2300 is a class B motorhome. There is a closed storage compartment which contains the black and grey sewer hose outlets. At the bottom of the compartment is a hole through which the sewer hose can be passed.
If you stationary in the same location for several days, you might want to leave the hose connected to the dump, but have the compartment with the controls locked.
Apart from that, the flow out of the hose might be better if the hose passes through the hole rather that out the compartment door.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:41 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegood View Post
The Sunseeker 2300 is a class B motorhome. There is a closed storage compartment which contains the black and grey sewer hose outlets. At the bottom of the compartment is a hole through which the sewer hose can be passed.
Interesting...if there's a spill at the sewer connection, where does it go?

If you really like the hose, how about trimming the connector tabs down a bit with a dremel so that it passes through the hole?

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:53 AM   #7

Davegood, I agree. These compartment holes are undoubtedly a standard size. You'd think that would have been a huge consideration when developed. Not too bright. I had already thrown my other hose out and had to use the Rhino. The only thing I can think of doing is to use the other section of hose with the end not yet attached to any connector and not use the elbow. Maybe I can use a sewer ring to keep it stable on the sewer hole at the campground.

Anyway, I appreciate everyones input. I think I'll write Rhino and see if they have a solution. I'll keep you posted if a remedy is suggested.

Happy and safe traveling.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:55 AM   #8

PS...the Sunseeker is actually a class C. FYI.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:15 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensonsmom View Post
Hi, I decided to buy a good sewer hose and purchased the Rhino 20 ft hose. (2 10 ft lengths.). I haven't had to combine the hoses yet but my problem now is the connections, which are very easy twist type, don't fit through the hole supplied in the floor of the compartment. Any suggestions in how I can fix this? I don't think they screw off easily. Does anyone have this type of problem. The kit is the brown hose with orange connections.

Thanks!
How about increasing the size of the hole in the compartment? You can also make a larger cover for it if necessary. Then all the standard hose fittings will work.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:36 PM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
I had the same problem with the RHINO sewer hose---

I did not have a compartment to pass the hose through but my 4" storage
PVC pipe I mounted under the RV for sewer hose storage was just about 1/4" too small for the hose. My fix was, cut off the tops of the locking knobs with a hack saw, cut the "EARS" or "TABS" on the orange fittings off by about 1/2 of what sticks out with a hack saw. I locked a "JOINT" of the hose together to see just how much of the locking knobs I could cut off but still be functional.

Look at the pictures close, you will see what I am talking about.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ROCKY & MODS 004.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	17195   Click image for larger version

Name:	ROCKY & MODS 006.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	17196   Click image for larger version

Name:	ROCKY & MODS 007.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	17197  
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
I did not have a compartment to pass the hose through but my 4" storage
PVC pipe I mounted under the RV for sewer hose storage was just about 1/4" too small for the hose. My fix was, cut off the tops of the locking knobs with a hack saw, cut the "EARS" or "TABS" on the orange fittings off by about 1/2 of what sticks out with a hack saw. I locked a "JOINT" of the hose together to see just how much of the locking knobs I could cut off but still be functional.

Look at the pictures close, you will see what I am talking about.

You did a great job, but why should one have to modify a product when they should have made it right the first time? I'm sure many many class C (sorry for earlier error) motorhomes like the Sunseeker 2300 have similar size compartment openings (or bumper/pvc openings). Only by refusing to purchase these items will the companies be motivated to make the slight changes to their designs.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:42 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegood View Post
You did a great job, but why should one have to modify a product when they should have made it right the first time? I'm sure many many class C (sorry for earlier error) motorhomes like the Sunseeker 2300 have similar size compartment openings (or bumper/pvc openings). Only by refusing to purchase these items will the companies be motivated to make the slight changes to their designs.
Or FR could make a change to the Sunseeker compartment hole to fit what is on the market which makes more sense.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #13

I purchased a larger "deck plate" (that's what boaters call them) and enlarged the hole with a sabre saw. Works great. From previous discussions on here, I understand FR is now going to make the hole bigger. Its not really their fault, its Rhinoflex that has not followed the standard. Search Amazon and you will find sources to purchase or check a marine supply store.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvBill3 View Post
I purchased a larger "deck plate" (that's what boaters call them) and enlarged the hole with a sabre saw. Works great. From previous discussions on here, I understand FR is now going to make the hole bigger. Its not really their fault, its Rhinoflex that has not followed the standard. Search Amazon and you will find sources to purchase or check a marine supply store.
I agree. 4" deck plates are a standard measure. Rhinoflex is only 1/16 to 1/8 inches too wide. They should have researched. They also should know how to supply a sewer hose that has the fittings secured at the factory and not hide their leaking problem by saying the consumer didn't tighten the fittings sufficiently.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:44 AM   #15

Thank you Daisy Boykin for your help and illustration. I will try this. I must agree with the others in resenting the fact I have to improvise in using their product when it should fit in the first place. But I so appreciate all your help. This forum has been invaluable! You are all wonderful!