Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2019, 05:54 PM   #1

Sewer Hose Question - Emptying Up Hill

We're in our fourth season of camping with a TT and I noticed that a fair number of CGs have the sewer outlet higher than the TT grey/black drain outlet. We just bought a new TT and it doesn't look a lot higher than the last one.

Because of this I have been using the Sewer Solution that uses water as a macerator and to push waste up hill through its sewer hose. I want to simplify what I'm doing so I don't have to switch the grey hose from the Sewer Solution to the black tank rinse valve and back (I usually rinse several times) so I was thinking of switching to a Rhino.

Given that when the waste stops emptying you're going to be left with that portion of it that can't make it uphill to the sewer outlet, what is your technique for cleanly draining the remaining waste even if it is grey water (if I do it right)?
ScenicView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:45 PM   #2

Any takers on this one - what to do when the sewer connection is higher than the sewer hose? Maybe more of a problem for TTs than MHs.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:58 PM   #3
Scoundrel

So far I've only had this happen once and that was just a few weeks ago. I noticed the issue as soon as I pulled in so I just piled up a few extra Lynx Levelers and drove up on them to raise the TT drain outlet.

Its a simple enough solution if you have the extra levelers on hand. Maybe someone else will chime in with their solution.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 03:06 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScenicView View Post
We're in our fourth season of camping with a TT and I noticed that a fair number of CGs have the sewer outlet higher than the TT grey/black drain outlet. We just bought a new TT and it doesn't look a lot higher than the last one.

Because of this I have been using the Sewer Solution that uses water as a macerator and to push waste up hill through its sewer hose. I want to simplify what I'm doing so I don't have to switch the grey hose from the Sewer Solution to the black tank rinse valve and back (I usually rinse several times) so I was thinking of switching to a Rhino.

Given that when the waste stops emptying you're going to be left with that portion of it that can't make it uphill to the sewer outlet, what is your technique for cleanly draining the remaining waste even if it is grey water (if I do it right)?
I simply start at the sewer port on the R/V lifting the hose about waist high and head towards the in-ground sewer port "walking' the arch of the hose towards the in-ground dump pipe. You'll need to do this several times to 'clear' the hose.

And, if the in-ground port doesn't screw in, you may need a helper to stand with their foot on the in-ground connection to keep the weight of the hose and the liquid from pulling it out and making a mess.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 03:07 PM   #5

I’ve seen this a lot in New England. I think the sewer connection is raised up by design so the system doesn’t get flooded by rain or melting snow.
Old 05-04-2019, 02:48 PM   #6

I'll huff, and I'll puff...

Quote:
Any takers on this one - what to do when the sewer connection is higher than the sewer hose? Maybe more of a problem for TTs than MHs.
If all else fails I simply unhook the hose from the valve-end of the RV and blow into the damned thing until it's empty. Works everytime and clears out the campground in no time! So, two prob's solved...that, and then no more noisy neighbors! :signhav efun:

PS: Actually I would say just as much, if not more, a problemo for RV's as
the valve service tends to be as high, or higher, than TT's in my experience.
GOOD QUESTION THO!
PixelBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 03:06 PM   #7
"Curmudgeon"

Send a message via MSN to Trawlerphil Send a message via Yahoo to Trawlerphil
There's always the "saws-all" option?
Trawlerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 03:43 PM   #8

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand what you're doing. I do understand the uphill problem. Which grey hose do you mean? Which black tank rinse valve?

If you're talking about getting fresh water into the black tank through a black tank cleanout and the Sewer Solution at the same time, you might want to consider getting another water hose and a y-connector for the fresh water campground faucet. That way you could put water into one or both hoses at the same time. If you already have a y-connector at the faucet, buy another one for the cleanout.
Old 05-04-2019, 04:37 PM   #9

I must agree with 5picker, I have done the same thing
and have been at a few campsites similar to ScenicView.

Start at TT outlet, disconnect & lift the hose quickly, then walk the length of the hose with your latex/rubber gloves over to the sewer outlet in ground. Should be emptied after one time if done correctly. Then I just Connect my rinse hose for each section then disconnect each section of hose till completely cleaned and removed from ground outlet.

Be careful not to let black water mainly or grey water splash or drip onto you or clothing. If so wash your body thoroughly, then change your clothes, washing at first chance.

Stay Safe, Enjoy your travels
KEN9XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 05:19 PM   #10

We always check with a carpenter's level to see if the in-ground sewer receptacle is above the level of our sewer discharge connector. If so, we raise our trailer on leveling jacks until we are above the in-ground receptacle. Has happened once in 45 years!!

When flushing, we attach a transparent, 45-degree angled plastic connector between our sewer dump hose and the outlet from our trailer. We always dump black water first while using the flushing connection into the flushing circuit in the black tank to loosen any Klingons that might be hiding in the black water tank. After a few minutes, the discharge flow shows clear, so we open the grey water tank drain valves. After the flow of waste water subsides, we close all drain valves and connect a freshwater flushing hose to the 45-degree elbow and blast freshwater into the trailer drain hoses and the external sewer drain hose. We then shut off all water flow and inspect the transparent hose elbow. If there is residual waste water visible in the elbow, we have a problem. We cannot disconnect the sewer hose without spilling waste water. About all we can do is place a large bucket under our sewer discharge connector, put on the gloves, and hope for the nest. So far so good.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 06:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
I'm not sure I understand what you're doing. I do understand the uphill problem. Which grey hose do you mean? Which black tank rinse valve?

If you're talking about getting fresh water into the black tank through a black tank cleanout and the Sewer Solution at the same time, you might want to consider getting another water hose and a y-connector for the fresh water campground faucet. That way you could put water into one or both hoses at the same time. If you already have a y-connector at the faucet, buy another one for the cleanout.
You hook the grey hose up to the sewer solution and turn on the water while emptying the black and grey tanks. The force of the water will push the waste uphill. It works great, but takes more time to then switch the grey hose to my black tank rinse connector and then back to the Sewer Solution - rinse and repeat.

It sounds like there's no substitute for walking the hose in these situations. I'm thinking of trying out rigid hose supports like the Camco rigid sewer hose support kit.
Old 05-04-2019, 06:27 PM   #12

Quote:
.... It works great, but takes more time to then switch the grey hose to my black tank rinse connector and then back to the Sewer Solution - rinse and repeat. ......

Use a garden hose "Y" w/valves, ... connect one side to the SS, then run a short hose up to the flush unit, ... then it's just opening and shutting the valves, ... that's how I use my Sewer Solution, simple and easy, pumping to a raised elevation is one(among many) of the great advantages of the SS over slinky, ... we'll be at a campground tomorrow, I'll try to post pics of my setup either tomorrow or Monday, ...

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 06:47 PM   #13

Quote:
We're in our fourth season of camping with a TT and I noticed that a fair number of CGs have the sewer outlet higher than the TT grey/black dra noin outlet. We just bought a new TT and it doesn't look a lot higher than the last one.

DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT blow into the end of the hose....We have to cover all the bases on this forum lately...
mbbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 06:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I simply start at the sewer port on the R/V lifting the hose about waist high and head towards the in-ground sewer port "walking' the arch of the hose towards the in-ground dump pipe. You'll need to do this several times to 'clear' the hose.

And, if the in-ground port doesn't screw in, you may need a helper to stand with their foot on the in-ground connection to keep the weight of the hose and the liquid from pulling it out and making a mess.
This is exactly what I had to do with several campers (same brand - Sunline) that sat low to the ground. It is time consuming but works. Save the emptying of the gray water last to help to rinse out the hose. Thankfully now that I have a new camper that sits high off the ground, I will not have that problem.
Rmstack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 07:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post

EXACTLY what I do.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:36 PM   #16
Multi-Slacker

I do, and have done, exactly what 5picker and the Sargeant-Major and others do - walk the hose.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
Use a garden hose "Y" w/valves, ... connect one side to the SS, then run a short hose up to the flush unit, ... then it's just opening and shutting the valves, ... that's how I use my Sewer Solution, simple and easy, pumping to a raised elevation is one(among many) of the great advantages of the SS over slinky, ... we'll be at a campground tomorrow, I'll try to post pics of my setup either tomorrow or Monday, ...
I use a 4 way splitter at the water source. Each outlet has a backflow device. Just connect 3 hoses. SS has dedicated hoses as is the FW hose.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 04:36 AM   #18

[QUOTE=fella10;2088114]Use a garden hose "Y" w/valves, ... connect one side to the SS, then run a short hose up to the flush unit, ... then it's just opening and shutting the valves, ... that's how I use my Sewer Solution, simple and easy, pumping to a raised elevation is one(among many) of the great advantages of the SS over slinky, ... we'll be at a campground tomorrow, I'll try to post pics of my setup either tomorrow or Monday, [\QUOTE]

That's a great idea to use with the SS.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:39 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
I use a 4 way splitter at the water source. Each outlet has a backflow device. Just connect 3 hoses. SS has dedicated hoses as is the FW hose.
The splitter makes a lot of sense and would certainly speed things up.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post

Waiting for the photos. I am lost as to how a water hose would empty the black water tank waste to a higher elevation into the dump sewage pipe that is higher than the black water valve.
Rmstack is offline   Reply With Quote