Old 07-29-2020, 08:49 PM   #1

Sewer smell after dumping black tank

My 2003 36 RLTS smells of sewer gas only after I dump the black tank. I have been living in full time for the last six months, just started having this problem about two weeks ago. I dump my tank every 5-6 days, any suggestions or comments will be greatly appreciated.
spagnolia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:13 PM   #2

Sewer Smell

I'll start off with my usual first response: "You do know what goes in there, right?"
Here's what I do: I use that orange stuff all the time. Put in more than I think I need. I let it fill a longer period than every 2-3 days. There are only two of us.
When draining, I never open the toilet. I use the washer system on a tap without a pressure reducer. Really sprays it out.
I put a full dose of Orange stuff in the toilet, then after all is done, I drops that down the chute.
If you don't have an irrigator/flush system, then you are stuck with having to open the toilet to spray inside with the wand. BUT: don't turn on the vent fan. Ever.
Finally dump perhaps 3 gallons of water into the tank, after all done, so that solids have something to float in.
Get a turbo gizmo that goes on top of the vent tube up on top of the RV, works wonders.
Keep a small amount of water in the pot, so it seals fully. Most of that gas coming in is coming through the trap seal.
Tiger Force Medic, 68/69
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:45 PM   #3

Are you flushing the tank after you dump it? The smell could be from solids that did not flow out when you dumped it and the suggestions from Hankpac should take care of it if that is the cause. I have been quite happy with Happy Campers tank treatment for odor control.
Cricket RX5 Golf(?) cart
DougW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 03:19 AM   #4

Like most of us, you probably leave your gray tank valve open all of the time. If an AAV on your gray water system is going/gone bad and its spring is getting weak, if you don’t close the gray tank valve when you dump your black tank, the pressure created by dumping the black tank will push the nasty air out of the AAV on the gray water system. You need to replace your bad AAV, but for the interim, if you just close the gray tank valve before you dump your black tank, the smell probably won’t be so bad.

Also, if you have a clothes washer hookup that you don’t use very often, the water in the trap will evaporate and leave a clear path for gasses to escape.

Bruce
Old 07-30-2020, 07:24 AM   #5
PhD, Common Sense

I donít know that most of us keep the gray valve open all of the time. I donít.

Your gray water has value to you later! After dumping the black water, switch the hose over to the gray and dump it. That will rinse the black out of your hose, leaving the relatively less harmful and less gross gray residue in your hose, which you may or may not choose to rinse.

If you leave your gray valve open all the time, and if you create the situation described in the above post, then the smell can be created in the manner that nomad297 related.

I recommend keeping the gray valve closed until you are ready to dump the black. If you must dump earlier, keep enough gray so that you will have about 2/3 at black dump time.

Just the way I do things. Others feel differently.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:44 AM   #6
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Leave your gray water valve close till your ready to dump black. If gray fills up before black then drain part of it so now when you dump back you can use the gray to flush hose. Also if you have a black tank flush here is what i do. I partially drain black tank then shut valve and turn on black tank flush. I do this several times. After flushing then shut valve and then drain gray. Next pour in toilet chemical and add about a gal of water. I've done this for a lot of years and never had any smell issues. Good luck. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 30
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:52 AM   #7

Thanks for the reply

Thanks for all the replies, I had a dirt dauber nest under cap inside of vent stack.
spagnolia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 01:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spagnolia1 View Post
Thanks for all the replies, I had a dirt dauber nest under cap inside of vent stack.
Wrap a small piece of door screen around it secured with a tie wrap, NO more mud daubers!

Even so, if it is just you and DW you are dumping too soon. And as others have said, after dumping black tank dump a full grey tank behind it to wash out the entire hose so nothing is init to cause those lovely aromas to come wafting back into the camper through the grey tank either.

Plenty of advice, but let me be the next to tell you DO NOT leave even the grey tank open. YOU want it to flush the hoses.
Old 07-30-2020, 01:34 PM   #9

Whenever I see Dirt Daubers hanging around I make sure to look trailer over real good. The damage those suckers cause is unreal.
Understand using WD-40 will kill wasp and also used to prevent future wasp nest
in the treated area.
Wondering if treating the underside of all vents with WD-40 would prevent Dirt Daubers from building in the first place.

Gary

Nothing lasts forever, So live it up,laugh it off, take chances, & never have regrets, because at one point, everything you did was exactly what you wanted.
GlowPlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:40 PM   #10

If you think you still have build up then a bucket/bag of ice down the toilet after dumping and a short drive to slosh around then dump again may help.
kawboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlowPlug View Post
Whenever I see Dirt Daubers hanging around I make sure to look trailer over real good. The damage those suckers cause is unreal.
Understand using WD-40 will kill wasp and also used to prevent future wasp nest
in the treated area.
Wondering if treating the underside of all vents with WD-40 would prevent Dirt Daubers from building in the first place.

Gary
Most of the Wasp/Hornet sprays claim that they prevent future nest building.

Seems to work as all the nests I've sprayed over the last dozen years have not been rebuilt. When I bought my house I had dozens of nests built up in the soffit's and once sprayed the buggers don't come back.

While chasing them out of vents it might be a good idea to check inside the A/C cover too.

"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, tank