Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2016, 09:27 AM   #1
Cadiz Couple

Sewerage Dumping Question

My Rockwood 8310 has two different sewerage dump valves....the "normal" one in the middle of the chassis to dump black and gray tanks....and a second one at the rear of the chassis that only dumps galley waist water. RV Parks only have a single sewer access pipe in which to insert the trailer's flexible dump hose. This two-separate dump valve configuration on the trailer causes an inordinate amount of redundant sewer-dumping procedure work, especially because of the poor design of the trailer that puts the galley drain valve essentially inaccessible, far underneath the slid-out living room. I can dump the black and gray tanks while my wife finishes up inside the trailer, but then I have to wait until she finishes and the living room is slid back in before I can re-attach the flexible hose to the galley dump valve and dump that tank. This procedure essentially doubles the unpleasant sewer dumping work.
My question: Inasmuch as the waste water from the galley tank is simply non-hazardous soapy water from washing a few dishes, is it permissible to simply leave the galley dump valve open so that it dumps, as used, small quantities of dish-water, directly onto the ground at RV parks?
Does anyone have a better solution?
Cadiz Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 09:43 AM   #2
WFD

Simple answer......absolutely NOT! While back in the day when we tented many people would dump their dish water in the bushes...that is not acceptable today. Not to mention many RV parks will evict you for doing so. Often that grey water from the sink is the smelliest, greasiest, dirty water. Would not be too pleasant if everybody in your situation started doing that. People coming in behind you would not be too pleased.
Now some people in here have talked about this in the past and may come in here and provide insight, but some of them have extended their piping to come up to the front where the rest of your sewer pipes are.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:49 AM   #3

Talking

No,not a good idea. You need 2 sewer hoses and a wye adapter, a slunky or 2 to make it connect and go down hill into the drain at a fhu site. At dump station you you have to empty 1at a time. If everyone dumps gray tanks at the site think what a sheet mess the sites would end up like 6weeks into the season. ..lots of flies and stinky from whatever food residues go down your sinks
I normally hook up the waste hoses before I put the slides out, just because
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 09:51 AM   #4
Site Team

No dumping on the ground!
This comes up fairly often and usually results in heated discussion.
Around here- eastern US you should not dump gray water!
It contains food particles and grease and can attract bears and other
critters plus it's often smelly.
Short answer NO.

Consider a waste water tote for that tank. Hook the others to the
camp ground sewer and use the tote to empty the hard to reach tank.
I actually walked away from a rig we were considering due to that exact
reason.
I didn't want to deal with 2 different dump valve locations.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 10:00 AM   #5
Always Learning

A "Y" (wye) and extra hose makes it easy.

LearnToRV: My camper has 2 sewer hookups
Old 11-05-2016, 10:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadiz Couple View Post
My Rockwood 8310 has two different sewerage dump valves...
My question: Inasmuch as the waste water from the galley tank is simply non-hazardous soapy water from washing a few dishes, is it permissible to simply leave the galley dump valve open so that it dumps, as used, small quantities of dish-water, directly onto the ground at RV parks?
Does anyone have a better solution?
A suggestion would be, since you state the dish water used in the sink galley is a very minute amount, would be to carry a 5 gallon bucket and empty into the bucket and then down the sewer drain. May take 1 or 2 trips but would be an easier alternative than to re-hooking up the tubes.

But at no time is it acceptable to just drain your dish water onto the ground. One mans "clean dishwater" is another mans "greasy dishwater". Not good if we all just dumped and left it.

We must think of others, and others think of us, as we all share common camping space. A great motto is to "leave it better than you found it".

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 10:31 AM   #7
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
A "Y" (wye) and extra hose makes it easy.

LearnToRV: My camper has 2 sewer hookups
X2

Wye's are your friend...

I dump grey water on the ground when I am at home, however we are meticulous about wiping down the dishes prior to washing them to keep the grease and food particles to a minimum. I also live on 40 acres and the gray water is going to help water the garden.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 10:41 AM   #8
Mod free 5er

For about $25 and 4 hrs labor you can hard plumb the back tank into the front dump elbows. Been there, done that. Works great.
Old 11-05-2016, 11:29 AM   #9
2016 Rockwood 8325SS

I have the same set-up on my unit. I use a Wye and connect two hose's leaving the galley valve open. This works as long as your sink in the kitchen has a trap. I hook up the sewer hose before I open my slide out. I then do not have to go under the slide while camping. Works great! After closing the slide before leaving the site I just close the T-Valve
Barstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 11:53 AM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
For about $25 and 4 hrs labor you can hard plumb the back tank into the front dump elbows. Been there, done that. Works great.

Assuming the second sewer connect is only for gray water (which very well could be for the OP's trailer).
Old 11-06-2016, 09:42 AM   #11
Cadiz Couple

Thanks to all....first for educating me, a newby, to the fact that it is NOT okay to dump galley water onto the ground.....and secondly for the suggestions of using a wye in the flex pipes----or----permanently connecting the galley and gray drains. A permanent connection sounds like it would be the best solution---if it works... but I'm wondering if there would be enough slope between the two drain valves to properly drain the galley tank, and if, when parked, the galley end is lower, then some gray water might flow backwards into the line from the galley tank. A separate but related sewer annoyance on my Rockwood 8310 is that the galley drain valve has not been located quite near enough to the edge of the trailer to be easily reached, AND, even much worse, it has been positioned beneath the slid-out room, so that while it is somewhat hard to reach when the room is closed, it is impossible to reach and when when the room is extended. Seems like Rockwood could just as easily have positioned the valve closer to the edge of the trailer and a couple of feet more toward the rear so as to be behind the slide so as to always be easily reached,..oh well, it is what it is. I'm thinking that first, I ought to:
1. Extend the galley drain valve closer to the edge of the trailer and behind the slide-out room, where I can then, with the slide room either in or out, easily attach a new flex hose to a wye on the main flex hose.....or.....
2. Use a hard pipe to permanently connect the galley and gray water tank lines up-stream from the gray water valve....and just live with any problem of the new line not always completely draining.
Comments and recommendations are requested. Thanks, Gordy
Cadiz Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:56 AM   #12
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
As OC said....plumb them together......mine works great, 1 hose, no wyes.....at the front hose connection, where the galley tank would connect, we both added a gate valve, so there is no chance that the grey water will backflow to the galley tank...and, if one uses a cap for the galley tank that has a garden hose fitting, you can use a garden hose to empty galley tank.....2 different ways to do it
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 05:28 PM   #13
World Wide Wanderer

A possibility to the hard to reach valve issue might be to install an electric dump valve. The switch can me mounted where it is convenient and will work with the slides in or out.

My current motor home has 3 gray dump valves (2 are for the same tank) and a black valve. Eventually I am going to replace them with electric and eliminate one of the gray valves. Barker, Valterra and Drain Master are the main three on the market. I like Barker, but there is nothing wrong with the others.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 06:51 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Assuming the second sewer connect is only for gray water (which very well could be for the OP's trailer).
So is mine, the rear tank is the galley tank and the center one is also grey which is connected to the black tank. I just hard plumbed from the rear tank to the center tank elbow. Use one hose, one connection and can dump all 3 tanks.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:08 PM   #15
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
So is mine, the rear tank is the galley tank and the center one is also grey which is connected to the black tank. I just hard plumbed from the rear tank to the center tank elbow. Use one hose, one connection and can dump all 3 tanks.

Yep, in your case- it's the best solution.