Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-29-2020, 10:24 PM   #1

Shower drain leaking

Back again for help. We have a 2016 FR 26RKSS. When camping last month we noticed water coming from under shower and onto the floor of the bathroom. We have a free standing shower, no tub and have had no problems for 4 years. I opened the access panel under the shower and saw that the leak was coming from the u-joint under the drain. Long story short, the joint has a compression fitting that fits to the tail piece of the shower drain. OK, then, I changed the compression o ring and fit it back in place good and tight. Still leaked. So, went above the u-joint and took off the tail piece. This also has a small o-ring and I replaced it. Got everything back good and tight and yes, it still leaks. It seems that the water is actually coming from above these pieces of the puzzle, but there is nothing above these except the drain itself. That's going to be the next thing I take off to see if it's split or broken somehow. However, if anyone has had something like this and has had success in repair, I'm certainly open to suggestions. Would love to go back camping again in a couple of weeks and would like to use the shower. Thank you all.
Jack Lloyd
Lodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 10:33 PM   #2

Here's my go to, for non pressure applications.
This is not recommended for ABS Type thread applications though!

I had similar problems as well. But, other members may chime in on your situation. Click image for larger version

Name:	25631_RectorSeal_1.jpeg
Views:	71
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	224199
Old 03-01-2020, 07:03 AM   #3

Thanks. I was told this was ABS piping, but I really don't know what ABS is anyhow. Guess I'll do a little research on that too. Just looks like black PVC to me.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:44 AM   #4

Since you have worked your way from the trap up to the top of the flanged tailpiece beneath the drain, the only thing left is the drain/strainer itself. Replace the drain and seal it to the top of the shower base, beneath the drain flange with latex caulk. In most cases, putty is used to seal these drains, but in cases like this, latex caulk will be better.

As far as Rectorseal No. 5 goes, it isn’t a good idea to use it on any type of plastic, whatsoever.

Bruce
Old 03-01-2020, 07:54 AM   #5

Yep, that is what the plan is. You know the frustrating thing is, I'd probably just change out the entire assembly, but finding all the right parts seems to be difficult. I did however find the seals at a plumbing supply place right down the street from me. I think I'll take ALL the parts with me when I get it ALL off and just buy all brand new parts and start over. I don't think it would be expensive and then I'd know there was nothing else that could be broken and didn't quite fit. Now that I think about it, seems that is a good idea. I've spent too much time already messing with the thing and it's time to fix it. It's really frustrating trying to find parts on line. I don't really know where RVers get their DIY parts. Our camping dealers around here are not very helpful so far. Thanks for your reply.
Old 03-01-2020, 08:46 AM   #6

As far as Rectorseal No. 5 goes, it isn’t a good idea to use it on any type of plastic, whatsoever.

According to Rectorseal website, it can be used on PVC.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200301-084124_Google.jpeg
Views:	81
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	224216

Follow nomad297 reccomendation though
Old 03-01-2020, 09:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapex View Post

According to Rectorseal website, it can be used on PVC.Attachment 224216
It may say that, but In my four decades of plumbing and fixing things that have gone wrong, I can assure you that Rectorseal No. 5 does not play well with PVC or any plastics other than polyethylene. Rectorseal No. 5 is the only pipe dope I use for general plumbing applications, but when plastic threads are involved, PTFE tape is the best way to go. Rectorseal No. 5 will make PVC brittle over time.

Bruce
Old 03-01-2020, 09:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
It may say that, but In my four decades of plumbing and fixing things that have gone wrong, I can assure you that Rectorseal No. 5 does not play well with PVC or any plastics other than polyethylene. Rectorseal No. 5 is the only pipe dope I use for general plumbing applications, but when plastic threads are involved, PTFE tape is the best way to go. Rectorseal No. 5 will make PVC brittle over time.

Bruce
Agreed Bruce! It's rather interesting how certain products work in the plumbing industry!
Old 03-03-2020, 10:45 AM   #9

Drain fixed

Good morning,
Just so you know, I've learned a lesson in this repair. It's best to use the suggestion that the Bible gives us about not putting NEW wine in OLD wineskins. I went to the local plumbing supply which happens to be on the same street I live on and they had all new parts top down. It took all of about less than 30 minutes to put it all in, lock it down and test it. Didn't leak and I was happy. Yeah, Some things can be repaired with new stuff attached to old. But, I suppose when possible to change it all out, probably best to do that especially when it doesn't cost too much to replace it all in the first place. Saves money and time in the long run. Oh well, maybe it's not too late to teach an OLD dog new tricks.
LLoyd

Tags
drain, leak, show, shower