Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2019, 08:29 PM   #1

Shower drains into black tank????

I purchased a 2019 East to West 25krb. We did a test run yesterday and discovered the shower was not draining. Turns out it was draining into the black tank??? I tested this several times by running the shower and then draining both the grey and black tanks. Sure enough it is plumbed into the black tank. This can't be correct, right? This is my first travel trailer and I am completely new to this. I will see the dealer but not until Monday. Can anyone shed sone light n this for me? Thanks in advance!!
ttoomey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:26 PM   #2
Retired Old Fart

Could they have put the wrong valve in (swapped positions - grey handle is actually on black tank, etc...)?

Are both drain lines to the dump valve the same size? I have a different FR brand, but my grey is a smaller line from the tank to the valve also.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:19 AM   #3

Probably as stated. Wrong handles. Gray drain is 1 1/2". Gray will transition into 3" for dumping. Black is 3". Sinks do drain into black tanks sometimes. It is by design. Showers only drain to gray.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:37 AM   #4

it's doubtful that any factory would intentionally plumb the shower(gray water) into the black tank, instead of the gray - as others say, you may be 'thinking' you're pulling the gray tank when you are actually pulling the black tank, or vice versa - the handle colors are not necessarily indicative of the 'color' of the tank... gray is 1 1/2", black is 3" sized tube. The handles can easily be reversed to 'solve' the problem. I believe they simply unscrew.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:07 AM   #5
Site Team

We have seen examples on this site of showers being intentionally plumbed into black tanks but I don’t have time to search for the posts.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:31 AM   #6

I checked and the handles are correct. It was obvious when I dumped the black tank because of the blue water.

I have little doubt that the shower does drain into the black tank. That leaves me with the question, now what? Will they fix it? I have had the camper less than 2 months. This was the first time I was able to test everything because of the weather in South Dakota. Thanks for all the advice and responses!
Old 04-21-2019, 07:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttoomey View Post
I checked and the handles are correct. It was obvious when I dumped the black tank because of the blue water.

I have little doubt that the shower does drain into the black tank. That leaves me with the question, now what? Will they fix it? I have had the camper less than 2 months. This was the first time I was able to test everything because of the weather in South Dakota. Thanks for all the advice and responses!
Yes they have to fix it. Close the gray gate valve. open the black. Empty it. leave it open. Run the shower. report back. you may have two gray tanks.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:44 AM   #8

I have done that and it definitely comes out of the black tank. It’s crazy that someone would do it this way. The quality of the construction is above normal on the East to West. Especially in the price range. That’s why we bought it. I am just shaking my head on this.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:11 AM   #9

Quote:
I have done that and it definitely comes out of the black tank. It’s crazy that someone would do it this way. The quality of the construction is above normal on the East to West. Especially in the price range. That’s why we bought it. I am just shaking my head on this.
So the gray tank is not plumb to anything or just not the shower.?
Old 04-21-2019, 08:13 AM   #10

It’s is plumbed to the bathroom and kitchen sink, that’s it. Makes no sense.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:15 AM   #11

Quote:
It’s is plumbed to the bathroom and kitchen sink, that’s it. Makes no sense.
If you met the people that build these things and the people they work for it would all come to you.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:23 AM   #12

I suppose it could be a good thing. Our gray always fills faster than the black and additional water in the black tank can be a good thing as long as it isn’t causing your black tank to fill sooner than you would like. But the water from showering is considerable and I imagine that could be a problem in your case. I have read of the bath sink being plumbed to the black tank many times, but I can’t remember reading where a shower was plumbed to it. I don’t doubt what you are saying is true and I think it is something you should have looked at.

Bruce
Old 04-21-2019, 08:30 AM   #13

Thanks. I am going to contact the dealer on Monday.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:51 AM   #14
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I too recall reading of some bath SINKS being plumbed to the black tank intentionally but not a shower.

As mentioned, showers produce a large amount of waste water and I would not want that going into my black tank UNLESS I was at a seasonal site where dumping was never an issue.

I also wouldn't want the chance of the black tank overflowing in the shower pan where it could easily run out on the floor. Yes, it could happen on those where the sink is plumbed into the black tank but not as easily as they are higher and you also wouldn't have the possibility of standing in crap as it backed up!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:55 AM   #15

Totally agree! I hope the dealer steps up and fixes the issue. The entire shower will need to be removed. It’s not going to be an easy job.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:57 AM   #16
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Totally agree! I hope the dealer steps up and fixes the issue. The entire shower will need to be removed. It’s not going to be an easy job.
Best of luck.
Let us know how you make out with your dealer.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 01:29 PM   #17

In my Cardinal the bathroom sink (actually in the bedroom) dumped into the black tank. I found out the hard way. (Use your imagination). Dealer said it was designed that way. You may get the same answer when you ask.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 01:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewie View Post
In my Cardinal the bathroom sink (actually in the bedroom) dumped into the black tank. I found out the hard way. (Use your imagination). Dealer said it was designed that way. You may get the same answer when you ask.
FR and the dealer will have that answer as well, even if OP's unit is the only one that has the problem. They will state his is 'special'.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 02:12 PM   #19

I too have seen other posts on this site stating that sink or shower drained to black water tank. Not sure of the logic (FR, if you're monitoring this, please step in) but ease of plumbing shouldn't be a reason. I was concerned our shower might also drain to BW until thoroughly checking, and it's not. (The shower sits directly above the BW tank so it would be a reasonable - though unwanted - design choice.) Unfortunately, I strongly doubt this was a construction error. Caveat emptor. This is definitely a question I'll ask if/when we purchase our next rig. Too bad this isn't described in the pre-purchase spec sheets.
Blog for our trailer trips: www.jackandaprilblog.com
jackconn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 02:44 PM   #20

I think that there's few, if any, ways for this to be 'accidental'... as the engineering on each of these units are specific to where the drains are located, and where and which side the tanks are located. Sometimes, for certain floor plans, you can see that it would be next to impossible to have the shower drain anywhere else. Some rigs have a separate gray tank for certain situations, but not all have the room for a second tank,etc.

Provide you exact year, make, model and the floorplan from the manufacturer's website and we may be able to give a clearer picture if this is the case.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, drain, show, shower, tank