Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2020, 01:34 PM   #1

Shower grab bar mounting MBS 2400

My wife needs some help when using the shower in our 2019 MBS2400W Sunseeker. I want to mount a grab bar on the shower wall between the faucet and shower head to help her standing in the shower. I think if I remove the wall panel on the opposite wall behind the shower I will have access to the wall studs and can locate exactly where to mount the grab bar. My thought is to add a 1/16 inch thick metal plate between the wall and stud to strengthen the wall and screw connection, then replace the wall panel. Has anyone else had to do this and what issues did you encounter?
medalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 01:56 PM   #2

removing a wall panel seems like allot of work to accomplish the desired results. I think my first priority would the location of the grab bar to facilitate your wife's standing (easiest for her). I would then mark the mounting holes drill small pilot holes thru both walls and place a doubler made from wood or metal that will spread the load plus act as a mounting space for something like clothes hooks to hide the doubler. just something to think about.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 02:13 PM   #3

I chuckle when I hear “wall stud” mentioned in regards to RVs. In my Sunseeker, I don’t think the interior walls contain any lumber larger than a 1x2. While the 1x2 is stronger than the 1/8” wall paneling alone, don’t expect much strength in the “studs”. You may need to add significant backer beyond what’s already there.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:23 PM   #4

That’s exactly what I plan on doing probably with a 2 x 4.but I am concerned about exactly what’s behind the wall panel which I have not removed yet. I was hoping someone on here might have opened up the wall and could offer some comments on how they might have mounted a handle in the shower.
Old 01-22-2020, 02:09 PM   #5

I will be watching this thread with interest. We recently had a bar installed in our new walk in shower in our home and it literally will support my portly frame with ease. I cannot imagine any wall in our MH strong enough to even hold a bar much less support anyone using it.
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 03:06 PM   #6

ADA and most building codes require a grab bar and it's fasteners to support 250 lbs. of shear. Minimum. We always used 300 lbs. as our standard. I doubt that any interior wall in any RV could meet that requirement. Could the wall be reinforced enough? Hard to say without opening it up. For me, I think it is worth it to try. Check how the wall is attached at floor and ceiling. Adding fasteners in the floor should be easy if it has a 5/8" underlayment. The ceiling connection is harder - - many times it is just screwed into 1/4" luan (or similar) over foam. I would recommend trying to wedge open the top plate a bit - - 1/4" or so, if possible - - and squirting some adhesive ( I like epoxy ) and adding more screws - - coarse threaded screws and short. The epoxy will be the primary connection but the screws help to inhibit any initial movement. Look for epoxy that is vibration resistant. After the wall itself is secure, you can reinforce studs and add backing where needed.

P.S. - - I would use wood as a backer so I could use a SS screw to mount the grab bar but if you decide to use a 16 gauge sheet (1/16") I would mount the grab bar before replacing the wall panel you remove. IMO 16 gauge strips out to easily so I would use a SS machine screw so I could add a lock washer and/or a lock nut on the back side to keep everything secure. Just a suggestion.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:12 PM   #7

gastan, we're not trying to build the grab bar so it will totally support my wife. All she needs is something to hold onto as she steps into the shower and out. She sits on a shower chair in the shower. I believe if we can reinforce the wall with a 2 x 4 secured to something else in the wall (top plate, side studs etc) that will be sufficient for her. She's small and doesn't pull on anything very much.
I guess I'm going to have to pull the wall panel down to see exactly what's behind there if no one else has done something similar and will share their experience. Using a machine screw completely through the wall is a good idea also, thanks for the suggestion.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:48 PM   #8

If all you need is a handhold for balance, why not install a piece of clear Plexiglas or other smooth surface material using these Hollow Door Anchors (https://www.lowes.com/pd/TOGGLER-5-P...cluded/3183811) and then use a suction cup grab bar similar to this (https://www.lowes.com/pd/MHI-Safe-er...ome/1000983222). I use these anchors for mounting a lot of different things in our MH.

2019 Georgetown GT5 31R5 w/2016 Chevy Colorado Toad
Days Camped: 2017 - 45, 2018 - 52, 2019 - 70, 2020 - 32, 2021 - 16
Papaduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:04 PM   #9

She needs the bar mounter vertically right between the shower head and water handles. I don't think I could put plastic in there and make it waterproof. Besides, I don't trust the suction cups to hold her and prevent a fall. Too risky for me.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:04 AM   #10
Weekender

Grab Bar

It might be possible to find a stud with this - Walabot DIY Plus - Advanced Wall Scanner, Stud Finder - for Android Smartphones - DY2PBCGL01 It works with an Android cell phone to show what is in the wall. It is about $50 on Amazon. I haven't used one but the right up sounds good. I am thinking about buying one.
burks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 11:19 AM   #11

If you do take off the shower panel, you may find in a wall like a shower the type of construction I found within the backrest wall of my Sunseeker dinette.

It is nothing more than 1 x 4 furring grade lumber, actual dimensions 3/4 x 3 1/2 inches. I took pictures, unfortunately can not add them for some reason.

I added 1 x 6 line bracing as backing for grab bar railing to help us get in and out. I used a Krieg pocket hole jig as the joinery method along with wood glue and some strategic L bracket placement.

Good luck with your project.

Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by medalguy View Post
My wife needs some help when using the shower in our 2019 MBS2400W Sunseeker. I want to mount a grab bar on the shower wall between the faucet and shower head to help her standing in the shower. I think if I remove the wall panel on the opposite wall behind the shower I will have access to the wall studs and can locate exactly where to mount the grab bar. My thought is to add a 1/16 inch thick metal plate between the wall and stud to strengthen the wall and screw connection, then replace the wall panel. Has anyone else had to do this and what issues did you encounter?
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 12:14 PM   #12

Thanks. I did remove the wall panel on the wall behind the shower and found wires everywhere and 1x2 “studs” in the wall. I relocated the wires and cut some 1x8 poplar into pieces that I could wedge into the wall space and used glue and screws to secure everything. I then mounted a 24 inch grab bar on the shower wall right above the controls and everything feels very tight. I then replaced the wall panel and I’m done. She tried the grab bar and says it’s fine and tight. All she needs is something to hold onto to steady her getting in and out of the shower. And this will work. Not as bad as I thought it would be to install.
Old 03-15-2020, 12:35 PM   #13

Great to hear, another project completed!
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:50 PM   #14

A follow-up on this post. We took our rig out last weekend and tried everything out. The grab bar is rigid enough that my wife can use it to assist her in stepping into and out of the shower, and it's very sturdy. We also replaced the standard shower wand with an Oxygenics and that helped too.

Tags
mount, show, shower