Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2013, 10:43 PM   #1

Shower leak

Hello anyone experienced this. I just bought a used 2013 Rockwood 2604. What a beautiful layout . I just started camping fall of 2011 with a 2006 27RLS Keystone Sprinter. Great camper but want newer with more amenities. Well I found out Forest a river products dont transfer warranty even if less than year old on used campers. I am going on my 1st trip with Rockwood 3-7-13. I de winterized yesterday. While doing so with water on in shower I noticed water coming out from under pan against bedroom wall and in front of shower door. I pulled deverter and no leak. Pulled sight plate under door on pan no water at drain. I noticed shower wall did not meet shower pan in corner under knobs and going down right rear wall. The wall didn't even connect to pan in corner. I called the service department at FR they said lip of pan was only 1/4 high for shower wall to set down over. What so short needs to be at least a 2" lip to deter back splash. Well I caulked today and will reinspect tomorrow after church. I hope this fixes leak. Dealer told me any problems I found on 1st trip out he would fiv. Just hate to take back 100 miles for something that could have been avoided. I hope I didn't make a mistake getting rid of my Sprinter for a few up grades but seems to be less quality . Have a great camping season
Hawg Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:36 PM   #2

Welcome, Royce!
Sorry to hear about the trouble.
Could be that your simple fix will work just fine and you'll be on your way to happy travels!
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:44 AM   #3

Thanks I surely hope so Twisity. Kinda got me a little concerned . Because original owner only kept this camper 3 months and traded because they didn't like floor plan. I love floor plan just hope this campers not a lemon as us old folks use to call cars that always had issues. Have a great Sunday
Old 03-03-2013, 09:24 AM   #4

Our 2012 2604, and several others had show leak issues, and it was an issue with improper caulking along the seam where the shower frame mets the bedroom wall. Simple matter of running a bead over existing bead.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #5

Thanks Lindy

I caulked the shower yesterday. I'm going to test the shower today and will post my findings or no findings I pray.. Was all else good to go wiyh your 2012 Rockwood 2604?

Thanks
Old 03-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #6

There was 1 other minor issue, when trying to grease the bearing the zurk fittings wouldn't take grease.It seemed the factory had somehow crushed the head of the fitting and the ball was not releasing to accept the grease, just a simple change of the fittings was all, and this summer will be our 3rd summer using it. You can see the number of night using it, and our main vacation is usally about an 800 mi round trip and then about 3-4 shorter 150 mi round trip trips, so we figure about 1500 miles a year towing it. Main reason we selected this floor plan was same as yours - walk thru bath with more floor space/room.

2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
F.R.O.G. member
Old 03-03-2013, 03:17 PM   #7

Thanks. I love ours. We camp at Lake West Point There are 4 nice camp grounds around the lake. We have camped 23 nights so far around the lake. I just went out to run shower. I ran water about 3 mins. Plus used plug to hold water. Saw no leaks during shower splashing on walls or during the draining after pulling plug. I believe the chalking of the seams worked. I can't understand why there isn't a high lip in shower pan for walk to set down in front of to help with this. FR told me lip was only about 1/4" high. If you dont mind what type of TY set up you have like Dish or Direct Tks again and have a great Sunday afternoon.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:16 AM   #8

All we've used in the past was Over The Air regular TV antenna set-up. Looks like in the next month or so I'll be getting the Dish Network "Tailgater" set up. We have Dish at home and like the service.

2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
F.R.O.G. member
Old 03-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #9

My shower did the same thing, new 2012 Grey Wolf - I caulked shower/pan seam and it helped. Talked to dealer service tech and he said caulk ALL seams. The vertical enclosure and all the screw heads. That took care of it. Just be sure to clean the areas to be sealed using acetone to get a good bond.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:05 PM   #10

BigTJohn, did you caulk the seam between the shower wall and the floor pan. My dealer said do not caulk this seam as it was left uncaulked so that is any moisture got behind the shower wall it has a way to escape, and that the shower pan extended up about 2" behind the shower wall.

2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
F.R.O.G. member
Old 03-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy View Post
BigTJohn, did you caulk the seam between the shower wall and the floor pan. My dealer said do not caulk this seam as it was left uncaulked so that is any moisture got behind the shower wall it has a way to escape, and that the shower pan extended up about 2" behind the shower wall.
X2
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:53 PM   #12

Yes. I caulked all seams. Used marine sealant 5200 which also bonds the pan and walls together. There is enough air circulation to dry any minor moisture under the pan or behind the wall. I check via the pan inspection plate. If there is anything, I can take the door trim off and check from there as well as get air circulating using a shop vac.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:07 PM   #13

I called Rockwood plant and warranty guy there said caulk all seams at pan. He said back lip only went up about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch.. Not very high. Wonder which tech is correct. I now I have double caulked and found no leaks. Will let y'all know how it goes after 3 day trip this weekend . Have a good week