Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2020, 04:50 PM   #1

shower leaking

During a recent two night camping trip, I noticed water leaking near the dump valves. Closer inspection revealed the gray water was coming from above the Coroplast. The water smelled like the shower I had just taken.
Pulled the convenient inspection panel from beneath the shower and found a cracked P-trap.
Nice how Forest River conveniently glued the P-trap threaded fittings to make the repair oh so easy. Kind of like FR expected the trap to break and making sure anyone attempting a DIY repair will go to the dealer. Why am I repairing out of warranty, 18 month old plumbing on an RV used 6 times?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drain.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	261.3 KB
ID:	240921  
Old 10-10-2020, 05:46 PM   #2
Part-Time Campground Host

I think I've lost track of all the repairs we've made to the camper.
The good side of this (if there is one) is I've learned tons of stuff about our camper and the repairs I've made should last for years.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1687
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 11:39 AM   #3
NXR

That looks like impact cracking because there seem to be other small ones. Either it was installed and stressed because it was tightened and pulling on the piping or it's flexing a lot when you're standing in the shower or when driving.

Have you looked at whether either was the case? Maybe some spray foam underneath the P-trap could reduce the movement if it's from bouncing down the road.

Ray
Old 10-13-2020, 09:13 AM   #4

I removed the damaged p-trap and found the downtube was cocked sideways when it was glued together. Hopefully the mangled plumbing assembled by the "experts" at Forest River was the cause of the failure. I managed to build another identical p-trap thanks to $57 worth of black ABS plastic. The bare p-trap alone was $24.95! The damaged trap is on the right. I'll be driving back out to storage to put it back together.
It has also occurred to me my 210lb weight on the shower pan also stressed the plastic. I'll check into that. The pan always had a squishy feel when I walk on it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ptrap1.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	241081   Click image for larger version

Name:	ptrap.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	284.2 KB
ID:	241082  
Old 10-15-2020, 08:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
That looks like impact cracking because there seem to be other small ones. Either it was installed and stressed because it was tightened and pulling on the piping or it's flexing a lot when you're standing in the shower or when driving.

Have you looked at whether either was the case? Maybe some spray foam underneath the P-trap could reduce the movement if it's from bouncing down the road.

Ray
While I was looking at the lack of engineering and assembly quality of the shower pan support, I realized you could be right. It appeared the lack of structure under the shower pan stressed the ABS fittings and caused it to crack.
I removed the shower walls and shower pan and discovered a big chunk of the shower pan support was cut out and missing. No wonder why my shower pan felt "squishy". It appears the Forest River "plumbing technician" cut out the support so the pan could be dropped in with the P-trap in place. No need to try to connect plumbing through a 5"x8" hole, right?
I cut a 22" by 36" sheet of plywood and screwed proper length 2X4 supports under it. Now the shower pan is supported with no soft areas.
I have so much fun fixing Forest River quality.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	shower support.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	241218   Click image for larger version

Name:	shower support 1.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	241219   Click image for larger version

Name:	shower support 2.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	241220   Click image for larger version

Name:	shower support 3.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	241221  
Old 10-27-2020, 07:00 AM   #6

Nice job! Looks like you put it back together the way it should have been done to start with.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 07:15 AM   #7

For anyone needing to do a plumbing repair, keep Furnco brand plumbing products in mind. Their flexibility makes them great to work with.
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 07:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinfever97 View Post
For anyone needing to do a plumbing repair, keep Furnco brand plumbing products in mind. Their flexibility makes them great to work with.
Fernco! Youroo!!
Old 10-28-2020, 08:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinfever97 View Post
I'll keep that in mind, my repair included parts from an RV supply store and Lowes.

Tags
leak, show, shower