Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2014, 12:44 PM   #1

Shower pan lack of support.

A year and a half ago (April 2013) my wife and I bought a new 2013 Surveyor SP240. So far the workmanship and quality seem to be good and we have only had a few problems. This past week that changed when the shower started leaking. At first I thought something was loose and it would be a quick fix until I opened the cover on the front of the pan.

Here is a picture of the opening I have to work thru. the glasses are there for scale.
[IMG][/IMG]

I read some instructions for installing a shower pan and it is supposed to be well supported. The following pictures show what I found.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

I'm wondering about the quality of other things in the camper and what others may have found?

One of the symptoms of the poor job in supporting the shower pan are the floor of the shower flexing while standing there.

I'm going to talk to the dealer tonight and will try to update this thread as to what happens and the fix.
gswartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 12:58 PM   #2

My 2013 2109S Mini Lite is just like that. I cut a small piece of 2x2 lumber, a small piece of 1x4, and used construction glue and a couple of wooden shims to snug up an additional support. Even that small change made a huge improvement. I can feel that the floor is more secure now and I am 200 lbs. I am afraid we have to treat these units as a hobby. There is always something to improve.

All of the major appliances in my Mini Lite work flawlessly, heat, air, refrig, microwave, water pump, TV. It is these small out of sight things that FR seems to install as cheaply as possible. But this shower pan is a simple improvement anyone can do.

Have fun!
GlacierGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 12:59 PM   #3

I have the same problem. Please let us know what the outcome is. If ours cracks I may try and remodel it with a custom shower pan and enclosure.
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:13 PM   #4

Wonder if you could add some strength by spraying some of that expandable foam from a can in a few select locations to provide some support. Of course you would want to avoid doing so over any wiring or cables that maybe run under the shower pan.

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrjen View Post
Wonder if you could add some strength by spraying some of that expandable foam from a can in a few select locations to provide some support. Of course you would want to avoid doing so over any wiring or cables that maybe run under the shower pan.

This is what builders do in new home construciton to set the shower or tub one piece and give it support and is what I would do in this case.
Nights camped 2015 - 46
Nights camped 2016 - 43
Nights camped 2017 - 2
5 hole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
show, shower