Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2021, 07:39 PM   #21

Stuck check valve

This may help some, my brother in law has a nice Mallard TT and he noticed his fresh water tank filling up in time to stop this. He was hooked to the campgrounds city water connection. So he started using his water pump for the remainder of this camping trip.
Well the next time he hooked up to city water again the check valve wasn’t stuck any more.
I know he hasn’t changed his water pump and since he now exercises it with the pump and then again city water it’s still working.

Many good suggestions here but honestly I would replace the pump assembly and put it behind you if it was my trailer.

On another note we camp many places and some have city water connections and some don’t, every time I’m on city water I’ll check my Emory fresh water tank just to be sure it’s not stuck too.
Old 10-22-2021, 12:34 AM   #22

I installed a check valve on the FW inlet side of the pump to prevent city water from over-filling the tank. There is a check valve in the pump but it has gone out twice. Check valve is an easy installation.
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 12:46 PM   #23

My season is over, but I did install a shut off valve on the outlet side due to ease of installation. I also bought a new pump off Amazon, but there was not enough time to install. Next year I'll swap out and see if I can fix the old pump and then I'll keep it as a spare. I may even install a check valve if I'm feeling particularly froggy.

2019 Flagstaff Microlite 25LB
2021 Silverado 3500 HD CCLB
2018 Escalade ESV
2009 CTS-V
mpouls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 05:55 PM   #24

Update: I installed the new pump off Amazon before our trip to Iowa in May and things went well. I wound up having to replace the surge board on the Watchdog from that trip but other than that nothing eventful. A couple weeks later we are getting ready to leave for Myrtle Beach and I test out the pump before leaving and it doesn't work now, smh...

So we use water bottles and cups of water out the jug as we make our way to our destination for bathroom breaks. I found some time today at the campground to swap the new pump out with the old and it fixed the problem. So I'm glad I kept it. I took the new pump apart but don't really see anything that would suggest why it doesn't work. I should have took the old one apart before I reinstalled it to see the check valve. Oh well, lol, at least we'll have water for our trip back when we leave. Time to buy another pump

2019 Flagstaff Microlite 25LB
2021 Silverado 3500 HD CCLB
2018 Escalade ESV
2009 CTS-V
mpouls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 03:21 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Very good point. Check valve failure is not the number one failure item, but if it fails when hooked up to city water while camping it’s a PITA.
Seems like if mine failed hooked up to city water while camping I would just turn off the city water and turn on the water pump. How much of a PITA is that?
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 03:42 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
Seems like if mine failed hooked up to city water while camping I would just turn off the city water and turn on the water pump. How much of a PITA is that?

Mine did this last weekend. I just drained it, installed a shut off valve as I NEVER plan on using the fresh water tank.. But in the event all I have to do is turn it on at the pump and all is good. .. I had water shooting out the vent of the fresh water fill. That won’t happen again..
dsjohns71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 06:34 PM   #27
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyleach
I installed a check valve on the FW inlet side of the pump to prevent city water from over-filling the tank. There is a check valve in the pump but it has gone out twice. Check valve is an easy installation.
This external check valve has been reported to work great by many people: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._title_3?psc=1

The price recently has gone up to all of $7.

Ray

Tags
tank, valve, vent