Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2021, 01:16 PM   #1

Shut off valves

So I just purchase my first rv and have a lot to learn. I am using it for the first time and need some help. I went to fill my holding tank (not knowing I didn’t need to because the park has a water source) and water was pouring out of the drain under the trailer. I bought a shut off valve and I was good, for now. I then hooked the hose to the inlet of the trailer and again water was pouring out from a different valve. Again I added a shut off valve and was good again. Yay, I had water in the trailer. When I went outside I hear water running. Walked behind the trailer to see water pouring out of the side of the trailer where you fill the holding tank. So I have looked everywhere in the trailer for some sort of shut off between the inlet and holding tank. I am currently pumping water from the holding tank until I can find this valve. I have had many people look for these valves without success. I have a 22 ft Surveyor 2017 and the manual that has not been very helpful. I purchased this used from an estate. Help please.
Tocasio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 01:53 PM   #2

I’ll try to help.

There are typically four drains where water can come out. There is a fresh water tank drain that is used to drain fresh the fresh water tank. I suspect that was the first one you discovered. There is another drain associated with the fresh water tank and that is the overflow vent / drain. It’s purpose is to allow water to escape from the fresh water tank when you fill it full. This keeps you from overfilling the tank. It also allows air to enter the tank as water is used in order to keep the air pressure constant in the tank. You generally do not want to cap this drain.

Then there are the low point drains, one for hot water and one for cold water. Many times these are adequate from red and blue pecan tubing. There purpose is to allow water the is in the plumbing system to drain out. This is typically done during winterizing.

There will be one other drain in the hot water heater. This drain is used to drain the water out of the hot water tank for purposes such as winterizing. Depending on the model of hot water heater you have this drain may have the anode rod screwed into it.

Then there are the black and gray tank drains but these are controlled by the sewer tank valves.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-23-2021, 02:51 PM   #3

Do you have a screw on cap to close the inlet to your fresh water holding tank off, if so put it on and use the water pump and see if your getting water to all outlets in the Trailer, some pumps will not pump/ run until you cap or close these inlets off outside, the only shut off valve to your holding is the water supply from outside on the pedistal, if the fresh w/tank is full let it overflow until it stop by itself. If and when it stop close it off with the inlet cap then hookup to your city water supply for normal use, try not to exceed 45 psi water pressure and use a water filter as much as possible....Good Luck
clydeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
valve