RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 08-28-2020, 03:45 AM   #1

Sink Cracking

Discovered this in the camper. I want to stop it from traveling. Anyone have a good product or idea to recommend?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sink.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	237822  
DenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 06:27 AM   #2
Just Tryin' to Help

I'm assuming the sink is plastic or fiberglass.
"Stop drill" the crack and then epoxy it. If you don't know what stop drilling is just google it. Use a very small drill bit.

Equalizer Hitch w/ 4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2016(retirement): 920
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:32 AM   #3
NXR

Quote:
I'm assuming the sink is plastic or fiberglass.
"Stop drill" the crack and then epoxy it. If you don't know what stop drilling is just google it. Use a very small drill bit.
What he said. "Stop drilling" is drilling a very small hole at the current end of the crack. The new hole greatly increases the area relative to the crack and spreads the stresses out, stopping further cracking even though you drilled a tiny hole. We did this in aviation all the time.

I'd also look at why it's cracking. If the sink lacks a bottom support strap or brace, like all of mine lack, I'd be trying to install something to help support the weight another way. Our sinks are just epoxied to the cheapo counter top with a few cheapo brackets.

Ray
Old 08-28-2020, 08:34 AM   #4
Just Tryin' to Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
. We did this in aviation all the time.
Ray
What did you do in Aviation?
Army Helicopter MTP here.
Equalizer Hitch w/ 4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2016(retirement): 920
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 10:03 AM   #5
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboss View Post
What did you do in Aviation?
Army Helicopter MTP here.
I worked in corporate aviation for a quarter-century, avionics and electrical maintenance. I loved our helicopters. We had Bell 206's, Augusta A-109A's, and an MBB Bo-105 CBS. We were a service center for the Augusta's and I got the STC for installing the Ryan Stormscope.

I still remember our pilots were sitting on the ground in SE Indiana and asked ATC about the large cells near CLE. ATC asked how they knew they were there because they couldn't see them. The cells were there. The Ryan Stormscope was the very first invention to correlate lightning to storm severity. Now you can do that on a phone app. Paul Ryan was a true visionary.

My name is also on the very first STC approving the Bo-105 CBS for IFR operations under SFAR 29-3. Since that was a rigid rotor system no one thought it was possible due to the inherent flight characteristics. We were able to load it up with enough avionics to get it FAA Approved: LORAN-C, radar altimeter, dual horizons, Stormscope, dual compasses, backup electrical, etc. That and requiring two IFR-rated pilots for IFR ops made the difference.

Ray

Tags
crack, sink