Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2012, 11:31 PM   #1

Soft spot in bathtub floor???

I have a 2008 Wildwood LA and I used the shower for the first time yesterday and noted that while stepping in the front right side corner the plastic/fiberglass tub floor feels like there is no support under it. Is this normal? The rest of the floor feels slightly uneven, but is supported...unlike the right front which just feels as if there is nothing under it and it causes the plastic/fiberglass to buckle when stepped on. What do you guys think?
kicker0927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:40 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Probably not supported. I have fixed several, where the factory cut way too much for a drain line, or water line, or something. They will cut once, and make sure it works, even if way too big. Only way to fix, remove the tub and and add support. Not as bad as it seems, as long as you can get on the floor and loosen the drain line through the access hole. If your tub has plastic surround, usually held with caulking behind, be careful, but will pull loose from the wall without much trouble, just go slow.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:01 AM   #3
Just a member

Same in our Rockwood. Had a peek inside the access cover (you should have one too) and all the shower pan stiffeners are supported. We've had no issues otherwise and suspect that the condition is just one of those idiosyncratic light weight RV things.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:09 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandl View Post
Same in our Rockwood. Had a peek inside the access cover (you should have one too) and all the shower pan stiffeners are supported. We've had no issues otherwise and suspect that the condition is just one of those idiosyncratic light weight RV things.
I think so too. I have a spot where the shower pan has some "give" and it has been there since "new." I will keep an eye on it to make sure it does not get bigger as that might indicate the drain is leaking.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:18 PM   #5

We all know that each camper unit is different, so here's my story: i purchased a seven (7) year old FR Grand Surveyor about a year ago. One of the first things I noticed was the "soft floor" of the little bath tub when I stepped in to it. Now consider that I am at/near 180# so there's the first problem. I pressed against the floor with my hand going over the entire floor, soft almost everywhere I put my hand. I do have an access panel on the front of the tub, maybe four inches between the toilet and this access panel. I removed the toilet for more room, then the access panel for inspection and found that there was at least 1 1/2" gap between the tub bottom and the floor. These RV tubs are certainly not household quality for sure. The solution I used is one that I have used in my business as a "Household HandyMan". I place two garbage bags within each other, then place them strategically below the tub in the "void" space. On this situation I used two locations. I then use a can of "Great Foam" (expanding foam) with a length (to suit) of 1/4" clear tubing attached to the nozzle and held with duct tape. I used a wooden paint stirrer to tape the end of the clear tubing to so I could guide the end of the tubing while the foam was filling the garbage bags. This foam will fill in the void beneath the tub and once it hardens it will be firm. I watch the foam so as not to allow too much in one area that might push up on the tub bottom. Doing this tub in the camper was a lot easier than doing one in a home because of the access panel. The one's I do in homes I usually go in from the back area of the tub by removing the baseboard in another room to make a small access panel. This has worked for me and now my tub does not have that "spongy" feeling. I hope this helps someone.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Great idea. This "repair" is on my "To Do" list for this Fall.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:09 PM   #7

I appreciate all the input. While at the camper this weekend, I removed the access panel and seen that under the tub was a thin layer of foam on top of a piece of plywood that was held up by 4 legs cut from 2x4's. One of the legs had shifted out of place and went into the cutout near the piping from the shower faucet, thus making that section of the tub feel as if there was no support under it. So I repositioned the foam/plywood support and made sure the 2x4 leg would not move anymore and the whole tub is supported now. It was as simple as that. My camper is at an RV park and I don't travel with it, so it should not move anymore. Problem solved. Thanks!
Old 08-26-2012, 10:26 PM   #8

Click image for larger version

Name:	003 (2).jpg
Views:	223
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	18732

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	18733

Name:	DSCF2196.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	18734 This is what I found under the shower floor! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:28 PM   #9

Yep, similar to mine. One of the 2x4 legs moved over time and was above the cutout hole so left that side of the tub floor unsupported. I moved back in place and all fixed.