Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2024, 10:47 AM   #1
Debbeers

[SOLVED] Rockwood Roo 23ss water issue (2011)

Hi- not sure this is how to do this post (newbie) but we are trying to figure out why no water comes from any of the hot water taps -none of them- bathroom, either shower (shower head isn’t on) or kitchen- not a drop of water not a whooshing sound for air and the pump doesn’t even come on- cold water is fine...
The freshwater tank is full-We cannot figure out what is missing that we cannot get any water unless the bypass valve is turned on-then its not hot or even warm….
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV1.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	352.3 KB
ID:	301092   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	358.5 KB
ID:	301093   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV3.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	314.1 KB
ID:	301094  
Old 06-18-2024, 11:17 AM   #2
Site Team

Moved thread from the Welcome Mat section to the Plumbing, Water Systems and Fixtures sub-forum since the OP's post is specific to that sub-forum and not an introduction post.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 11:27 AM   #3

Ok...let's get more info for everyone to chew on :

1. Is this a new problem after operating Ok or are you getting to know your new-to-you unit?

2. Is it the same using on-board tank and city water?

3. If you open the pressure relief valve on water heater, what happens?

4. Make and model of water heater?
Tlmgcamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 11:39 AM   #4
Debbeers

Water Issue

thats fast- ok here we go !
1. Is this a new problem after operating Ok or are you getting to know your new-to-you unit?
new to us- they hadnt used it yet this season-it was still winterized
2. Is it the same using on-board tank and city water?
fresh water only- havent tried the city water
3. If you open the pressure relief valve on water heater, what happens?
its has water come out - it doesnt gush or make hissing noise though....
4. Make and model of water heater? Suburban... model not sure I am at work....
Old 06-18-2024, 11:45 AM   #5
Site Team

Based on the pictures, your valves appear to be set correctly at least.

Based on your last sentence:
Quote:
we cannot get any water unless the bypass valve is turned on-then its not hot or even warm….
It sounds like the water heater is either not on or not working.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 12:00 PM   #6
Debbeers

Water issue

Hi I am not as worried about heating the water as I am to having it come from the taps first....
I can turn on all the hot water taps and not a drop comes out- the cold water works just fine though...
Old 06-18-2024, 12:16 PM   #7

Agree that the valves look correct in the pictures. I would carefully open the pressure relief valve or turn the pump off and open the low point drains and then remove the anode rod from the water heater.

Then you can get an idea what is going on. Only a guess, but maybe one of the valves is broken, so the handle moves but its not actually opening? If you have water going in but not coming out, its the hot valve and if nothing is coming in its the cold valve. Other than a bad valve, could be a blockage if you have good flow through the bypass, but that seems unlikely.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 01:30 PM   #8
Debbeers

is there a hose I am missing that would have been turned on/off for winterizing- I am not sure how you get the antifreeze into the system with this set up- our other trailer had a separate hose we just put into the jug itself...
Old 06-18-2024, 05:52 PM   #9

To all trying to help the OP: There is no water coming out of the hot side of the faucets. If the valves were in bypass to avoid sending pink to the water heater, then there should be unheated water (because its bypassed) coming out of the hot side of the faucets. Of course, this is based upon the valve setup in my trailer, which may be different from OP
Old 06-19-2024, 11:04 AM   #10
Debbeers

Checkvalve?

I am thinking it might be a check valve if it has such a thing- is this it?? .sorry sooo not a techy....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	check.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	261.2 KB
ID:	301125   Click image for larger version

Name:	checkvalve2.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	241.1 KB
ID:	301126  
Old 06-19-2024, 12:12 PM   #11

I.have not worked with pex piping, which is in the photo. However, that looks like a basic fitting to connect the pex to the water heater. The water hoses are set up so you can isolate the water heater so in can be drained rather than filled with pink when winterizing. On my trailer, when you isolate the water heater, the water from the source (tank or city) goes to the hot water piping without going through the heater. This allows for pink to fill the hot water pipes without needing to fill the hot water tank. If in bypass, cold comes out of the hot side of the faucet. If not in bypass, and the heater is on, hot comes out of the hot side of the faucet. As long as there is a water source, something will always come out of both sides of the faucets.

It might take some contortions to see it all, but it could be helpful if you could create a schematic of the system so we can trouble shoot for you. Pictures do the trick on a lot of inquires but it's tough to see everything in the tight quarters where these systems are typically located
Old 06-19-2024, 12:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lajoie View Post
is there a hose I am missing that would have been turned on/off for winterizing- I am not sure how you get the antifreeze into the system with this set up- our other trailer had a separate hose we just put into the jug itself...
No - I'm pretty sure your model is the same setup as ours was. The valve to use the anti-freeze inlet is before the pump. It switches the pump suction from the fresh water tank to the connection on the side of the trailer that is labeled 'winterize'. So if you are getting cold water from the tank, this isn't the source of the problem.

I don't think there is a check valve in that line to the water heater. There would be a check valve on the pump and one on the city water inlet, so again, if you have cold water flow and the valves at the water heater are set correctly (which it sure appears they are) there should be nothing other than a physical obstruction to stop the hot water flow. Either one of those valves two valves is broken or there is actually something caught in there which doesn't seem likely, but certainly possible.

Old 06-19-2024, 01:03 PM   #13
Debbeers

change from winterize to get water?

hi you mentioned here-

No - I'm pretty sure your model is the same setup as ours was. The valve to use the anti-freeze inlet is before the pump. It switches the pump suction from the fresh water tank to the connection on the side of the trailer that is labeled 'winterize'. So if you are getting cold water from the tank, this isn't the source of the problem

maybe the "valve" isn't changed over to get it off winterize- I dont know where too look for that- maybe that's why there is no water??
I only get cold water from the cold water tap- NO water at all from hot water taps....
Old 06-19-2024, 01:15 PM   #14

Quote:
I am thinking it might be a check valve if it has such a thing- is this it?? .sorry sooo not a techy....
Yes, there is a check valve on the cold inlet of the water heater tank.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 01:21 PM   #15

Quote:

maybe the "valve" isn't changed over to get it off winterize- I dont know where too look for that- maybe that's why there is no water??
I only get cold water from the cold water tap- NO water at all from hot water taps....
That valve is definitely set correctly - you would get no water, hot or cold, if it was in the winterize position. You can probably follow it from the side of the camper where it comes through the wall. It T's into the line coming from the fresh water tank and a single line from both sides of that winterize valve goes into the pump. Water coming out of the pump is going to your cold sides of the faucets.

I'm confident that isn't the issue. You would have no water at all if it was set wrong.

One other thing - don't turn the electric switch for the water heater on until you get the problem figured out. If the WH is not full, you can burn out the electric heating element.

Old 06-19-2024, 01:27 PM   #16

Quote:
I don't have your rig, so I don't know your controls.
Do you have a way to switch from 'city' to 'normal' to 'winterize'? ( or something similar)
As others have said, it sounds like something is set to 'winterize' to bypass the water heater. If you have a way to switch, I'd cycle through all the options to the setting you need to run off the fresh water tank. It's possible a valve got stuck.
If you're near a city water connection, try that to see if it gets you hot water.
Old 06-19-2024, 01:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Do you have a way to switch from 'city' to 'normal' to 'winterize'? ( or something similar)
As others have said, it sounds like something is set to 'winterize' to bypass the water heater.
No - The OP does not have a central panel with a setting that would bypass the water heater. There is a manual valve buried in the compartment where the plumbing lines are that switches the pump suction from the fresh tank to an intake port on the side of the camper. If this is set wrong, there is no way to have cold water flow. There is also a manual bypass valve to the WH, as shown in the pictures. Bypass on, OP has cold water on both sides of the faucet, as you would expect. Bypass off, and inlet/outlet valves of the WH open, nothing at all from the hot sides of the faucets. On this rig, there is no way that issue is from the winterize valve.

Old 06-19-2024, 02:11 PM   #18

There are 2 bypass valves at the heater. If the valve on the inflow side is not on bypass, water can go into the heater. If , at the same time, the valve on the outflow side is in bypass position, water can't leave the heater. that might be the issue. The valve handle points in the direction of flow being allowed. Again, it's difficult to see in the pictures and not being able to trace the pipes to figure what is what
Old 06-19-2024, 03:53 PM   #19
Debbeers

change from winterize to get water?

hi you mentioned here-

No - I'm pretty sure your model is the same setup as ours was. The valve to use the anti-freeze inlet is before the pump. It switches the pump suction from the fresh water tank to the connection on the side of the trailer that is labeled 'winterize'. So if you are getting cold water from the tank, this isn't the source of the problem

Old 06-19-2024, 03:55 PM   #20
Debbeers

these are the handles I can change

does this help?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	zfacsfam.png
Views:	16
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	301133  

Tags
2011, 23ss, rockwood, rockwood roo, roo, water