Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2016, 12:04 PM   #1

Strange water issue 2008 Flagstaff Ultra Light

First, Hi all I'm new here So, my wife and I purchased a 2008 FS UL last year. We used it several times with great success, not missing our tent at all. Last year we took it on a 6.5 hour trip to a site with full hook ups. Every time we had taken it out before we always used supplied water hook ups never the on board tank. This time hooked up to the water, water was welling up from the floor right in front of the rear door/bed and soaking the carpet and furiously dripping in front of the rear stairs. On the second day I tested it by disconnecting from the water supply and the welling significantly dropped off and the dripping all but went away. I looked underneath and there is nothing there, no pipes, no tanks, nothing. on the interior is just a thin single panel wall between the pantry and the bedroom. For the life of me I just don't understand how this is physically possible. I have not hooked it up to a hose since, since it was the last trip before winter. This does not happen when I use the tank on board and water pump, I tested it. I'm afraid to wet the floor again like that because of rot issues. Has this happened to anyone before and is there an explanation?
Vitruvianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 12:42 PM   #2

Man, that seems weird. The water pump should be pressurizing the plumbing all the way back to the check valve at the city water connection. That's what makes it weird. You might want to post the exact model of your TT; hopefully someone with the same model can help.

I've attached a drwg of "typical" RV plumbing.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RV Plumbing pic.pdf (118.1 KB, 91 views)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 12:51 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

So if I understand... your problem occurs when you are hooked up to city water and does not happen usong the fresh water tank/pump.
Everything worked OK last year but first time out this year (hooked to city water again) it has a leak somewhere.

Did you winterize last year or is that not necessary where you live?

Can you hook a compressed air line to your city water connection and 'listen' for leaks?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 12:51 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Oh... and welcome to the forum!

Old 03-11-2016, 12:52 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, it's definitely weird. The model is a 2008 Flagstaff Ultra Light 26FS travel trailer. Could it possibly have been a leveling problem? I remember we had a tiny cant in that direction but didn't seem enough to bother anything to that degree.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:55 PM   #6

That is correct. I have used the FW tank in testing for the leak and for winterizing. We also took it out several times (6-7) last year before the issue happened. It was the last trip last year in the fall, I haven't even de-winterized it yet but plan on it soon which I'll need the city water connection. Thanks!
Old 03-11-2016, 12:59 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

OK, so you haven't tried it yet this year... correct?
Maybe you 'think' it doesn't leak on the pump/fresh water tank because you didn't leave it pressurized very long to winterize.

Can you drain the antifreeze and hook a compressed air line to the city water connection?
50 PSI or less of course.

Old 03-11-2016, 01:09 PM   #8

I'm pretty sure I can't with the air thing, not equipped properly. Yes I haven't tried it since winterizing last year. You could be right on the pressure thing with the FW tank, I did only run it for a half hour/45 minutes for my test and for winterizing.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:21 PM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

If the water was 'welling up' as you originally said in your original post, I would think a half hour to 45 minutes on the pump should have at least produced a sign of a leak.

Do you have any idea what the water pressure was at that last place you stayed with the city water hook up? Maybe it was so high it pushed water past a fitting connection somewhere? Do you use a regulator?

Without knowing what plumbing (and as you said, if any) is at that area, we are all just guessing at suggestions.

Hope you find it.

Old 03-11-2016, 01:25 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

When you hooked up to city pressure, did you have a pressure regulator or restricter installed? Might be that you were fine all along, but that one campground might have had high pressure that ruptured a line/fitting.

The other possibility is that you might have a blank tank flush system, and this is what you hooked to instead of city water? Mine are right next to each other so if the labels ever wore off it could be possible to get them mixed up.

And another possibility is that someone may have installed a valve on the incoming city water line (as part of a winterized kit maybe or perhaps their check valve had failed) that might have been closed. When you connected the city water, it might have been leaking at said valve.

And yet another possibility Is that the city water connection was backfilling the FW tank and the overflow from the FW tank is leaking.

Only way to know for sure is to open up the panel and trace the city water line in to where it should Tee close to the FW pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 03-11-2016, 02:19 PM   #11

Well, I have no black tank flush system, there is no water going into the FW tank when it's connected to city water, I do not have a pressure regulator just a filter (getting one right now though), and I took a set of pictures to show exactly what and where I'm talking about but don't have a url to post from. The spot is approx 4-5 feet in front and 2 feet to the side of the FW tank. the only possible thing to leak in the area would be the drain pipe from the kitchen to the WW tank and that would have to be pressurized to spray water upward and through metal which is definitely not likely. There is an AC vent in the wall that is next to the water spot, but we weren't using the ac. The water pump is right next to the FW tank I believe. For the FW tank and or pump to be the origin is not possible because it would have had to flow 4-5 feet forward to the spot passing under the bed. Under the bed was dry. There was also no water on or around either the pump or FW tank. I'm not trying to be dismissive and I know just about jack and s^&* about travel trailers, it just seemed to originate from the front and/or the bottom of the camper. It gets more and more surreal as it goes on. I guess I'll just hook it up and see what happens then go from there.
Old 03-12-2016, 03:54 PM   #12

fwiw. had a similar with my 14 Flagstaff 832 IKBS on 1st trip out Had tested (limited, not sustained) city water hookup and good results, but. the check-valve in the pump went south (or was defective). allowed the water to back-feed into the FW tank. which happened to have a loose overflow hose connection and allowed water to run back (outside the overflow hose).. into the trailer. all over bathroom floor under the sink, under the wall over towards BR slide out. and in general make a bit wet mess. New pump fixed things along with tightening that connector to the overflow hose. No problems since. it was under warranty, but in that instance I had to front the cost of the pump and FR paid me back.
that MAY or MAY not be similar to your problem, but might be worth checking.
woody9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitruvianman View Post
Well, I have no black tank flush system, there is no water going into the FW tank when it's connected to city water, I do not have a pressure regulator just a filter (getting one right now though), and I took a set of pictures to show exactly what and where I'm talking about but don't have a url to post from. The spot is approx 4-5 feet in front and 2 feet to the side of the FW tank. the only possible thing to leak in the area would be the drain pipe from the kitchen to the WW tank and that would have to be pressurized to spray water upward and through metal which is definitely not likely. There is an AC vent in the wall that is next to the water spot, but we weren't using the ac. The water pump is right next to the FW tank I believe. For the FW tank and or pump to be the origin is not possible because it would have had to flow 4-5 feet forward to the spot passing under the bed. Under the bed was dry. There was also no water on or around either the pump or FW tank. I'm not trying to be dismissive and I know just about jack and s^&* about travel trailers, it just seemed to originate from the front and/or the bottom of the camper. It gets more and more surreal as it goes on. I guess I'll just hook it up and see what happens then go from there.
I hate to say it but the only way you will find this leak is to hook the hose back up. Make sure you hook up a regulator first though! Some CG have very high water pressure that can cause problems! A regulator stays on my hose all the time. They are not that expensive and can save a lot of problems. Too high pressure can cause a fitting to leak that normally wouldn't leak.

Also keep in mind water leaks can travel and show up anywhere. Often where you wouldn't expect them to show up.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flagstaff, light, water