Old 04-03-2017, 01:10 PM   #1

Stumped by the toilet? I think?

We have had our Rockwood 2109s in storage for the past four months. I last checked it in February to make sure nothing had moved in and everything appeared to be fine. When we arrived today to take it out of the storage building I immediately noticed that many of the dryer sheets we had scattered on the floor to keep the mice out were now pink. Nothing appeared to be coming from under the sinks but I was able to trace some small streams of antifreeze back to the toilet. The thing that has me stumped is that there appeared to be antifreeze splashed on the top and outer sides of the toilet as well as in the shower. There was also a small plastic waste basket that was tipped over in front of the toilet which also had splashes of antifreeze on the inside. The toilet itself is still full of antifreeze just as I left it after winterizing. How the heck does antifreeze get splashed around a bathroom and then run out into the kitchen?

Old 04-03-2017, 01:34 PM   #2
Site Team

Maybe a silly question, but did the storage facility require you to leave a key with them. Does it look like someone had been inside. There are only a small number of RV lock key types, so it is possible someone with a key was inside. Did you see any signs of rodents. Antifreeze is sweet and can attract animals to drink it. If toilet lid was open one could have gotten in got wet and roamed around the TT.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 01:39 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Did you see any signs of rodents. Antifreeze is sweet and can attract animals to drink it. If toilet lid was open one could have gotten in got wet and roamed around the TT.

That was my first thought as well.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 01:43 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

My wife always cleans up the pink stuff from the shower and sinks after we winterize.
With that said, it hasn't been uncommon (in the last several units we've owned) for the shower head to drip some antifreeze out at some point over the winter. But... it has only ever been a few drops, nothing enough to splash out of the shower area and/or run across the floor.

I hope nothing broke but you'll likely know when you pressure it up for the first time.
I'd be using a watchful eye when you do.

Best of luck!
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=83
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:22 PM   #5

All of the above crossed my mind but my thoughts are that if the shower head was leaking things should have been contained in the shower. I can see no sign of any rodents and that wouldn't explain two or three small streams of antifreeze which leaked to the kitchen. The people at the storage facility had no access to the camper and I'm sure it was locked. I just can't come up the answer. As I said earlier, there was antifreeze on the top rim of the toilet (toilet seat was closed), the flush pedal as well as the inside of a tipped over waste basket which was facing away from the toilet. I think if there was a critter in there it must have been the size of a small dog. Maybe I had better not tell the wife about this................
Old 04-03-2017, 05:11 PM   #6

Good idea lol! Doesn't take much of a critter to make a big mess. If you can, put air to the fresh water system to check for anything that may have broke. Air makes a lot less mess than water if something was broke.
Kenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Maybe a silly question, but did the storage facility require you to leave a key with them. Does it look like someone had been inside. There are only a small number of RV lock key types, so it is possible someone with a key was inside. Did you see any signs of rodents. Antifreeze is sweat and can attract animals to drink it. If toilet lid was open one could have gotten in got wet and roamed around the TT.
Bob, I think you mean SWEET, not sweat and I would agree, rodents had a drink and wandered around...

RV antifreeze is non-toxic anyway.

SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote