Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2017, 04:51 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 32
Suburban DSI Water Heater Issue

Hoping someone can help out a newbie. I have a 2018 Forest River Heritage Glen 300BH. The water heater is a six gallon Suburban DSI propane model with the supplemental electric switch on the unit.

We've had the trailer a few weeks and the water heater was working fine. Suddenly last weekend, no hot water. I checked propane levels, which are fine. I then checked thermocouple. Seems to be working because it allows gas through. DSI clicks but burner does not light. I know the thermocouple is working to allow gas through because I can light the burner manually, but it shuts off after about five seconds.

I removed the igniter and it was a little sooty but otherwise looked fine. I cleaned it off and still nothing.

At this point, I figure it's a bad igniter / flame sensor or the wire from the flame sensor rattled loose from the board. I haven't yet opened the panel inside the coach to check the latter. I also don't have my multimeter to check the voltage and don't want to simply ground it for fear of frying the board.

Has anyone ever seen one of these igniter / flame sensors go bad that quickly? It looks fine (no cracks, visible damage, etc.). Any other suggestions would also be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Lou
lapoldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:08 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
SeaDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Idaho
Posts: 7,669
any electronic device can fail right out of the box. Does the heater work in the electric mode? If it works on electric and not propane I would lean toward something on the control board if the igniter is in good shape.
__________________
Retired Navy
Jake my sidekick (yellow Lab) 10/04 - 05/20
2017 RAM 2500 CC 4X4 Cummins Diesel
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:16 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,179
Trp resetting the 12V upper limit switch. Check to be sure to thermalcouple is in the flame.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:54 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 32
It works in electric mode.
lapoldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:56 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 32
Pardon my ignorance, but how do you reset the upper limit switch?
lapoldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 02:14 PM   #6
Scoundrel
 
HangDiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Colorado/Florida
Posts: 1,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapoldo View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but how do you reset the upper limit switch?
__________________
2014 Micro Lite 19fd
2015 F-150 5.0L V8 XLT Crew Cab, 4x4, Tow Package, 36 gal tank, 3.55 locker, 1891 payload, Integrated Brake Controller, Roadmaster Active Suspension

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 02:26 PM   #7
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 24,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapoldo View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but how do you reset the upper limit switch?
Jennifer Terry with Suburban, explains resetting the ECO/Thermostats in this FAQ:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...de-135974.html
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

I'm trying to keep up with the Joneses, but every time I catch up, they refinance.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 05:53 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
modaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Green bay
Posts: 121
I have the same suburban water heater. Getting ready to leave the camp site , while taking a shower, I ran out of water using the GAS mode. When I got home I tried to lite the water heater in GAS MODE with no water in the tank. No dsi spark . After checking all connections I found nothing to get the dsi to click. I then connected the water hose to the TT , filled the hot water tank and the dsi functioned, I now have it working again . Any ideas what the problem was .
modaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 05:58 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 5,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapoldo View Post
It works in electric mode.
I'd look to see if Thermocouple is aligned with the flame. If Thermocouple doesn't sense heat quick enough it triggers the gas valve shut off.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:25 PM   #10
jkoenig24
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Box Elder, SD (formerly NY)
Posts: 767
Do you have an OUTSIDE shower? If the outside water valves were left open (water was shut off on the handheld unit instead of at the "regular" knobs), you will NOT get hot water out of any inside faucets.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:42 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapoldo View Post
Hoping someone can help out a newbie. I have a 2018 Forest River Heritage Glen 300BH. The water heater is a six gallon Suburban DSI propane model with the supplemental electric switch on the unit.

We've had the trailer a few weeks and the water heater was working fine. Suddenly last weekend, no hot water. I checked propane levels, which are fine. I then checked thermocouple. Seems to be working because it allows gas through. DSI clicks but burner does not light. I know the thermocouple is working to allow gas through because I can light the burner manually, but it shuts off after about five seconds.

I removed the igniter and it was a little sooty but otherwise looked fine. I cleaned it off and still nothing.

At this point, I figure it's a bad igniter / flame sensor or the wire from the flame sensor rattled loose from the board. I haven't yet opened the panel inside the coach to check the latter. I also don't have my multimeter to check the voltage and don't want to simply ground it for fear of frying the board.

Has anyone ever seen one of these igniter / flame sensors go bad that quickly? It looks fine (no cracks, visible damage, etc.). Any other suggestions would also be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Lou
See page 10 for DSI system explanation and troubleshooting.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Suburban Hot Water Heater Service Manual.pdf (3.55 MB, 80 views)
__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:06 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 32
Thanks

Thanks for the replies everyone. Thermocouple has not tripped. Outside shower was not left on. Heater functions fine in electric mode. Thermocouple is in the flame. It was working for two weeks then just decided to stop working. I can light it with a BBQ lighter but the flame goes back out after about 5 seconds. That's why I'm assuming an igniter/flame sensor failure or a fault on the board. I didn't have a chance to pick up a new igniter yet, but will let everyone know when I do.

Lou
lapoldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:36 PM   #13
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 24,438
Please keep us informed of this. I have been noticing a rash of bad circuit/control boards being reported on the forums lately. I'm wondering if yours is one of them too.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1539404

2 different members in this thread stated they had bad boards in new RV's

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1469951

2 More different members in this thread, both having to replace boards within days/weeks of RV purchase

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1490249
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

I'm trying to keep up with the Joneses, but every time I catch up, they refinance.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:54 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Iwannacamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,839
If the igniter is clicking but no pilot lighting(and there is gas present) then the spark isn't getting to the igniter or it is weak. I read here about bad boot/connection and voltage leaking from igniter wire. If it is like mine i would look 2 places. One where the boot connects to the igniter. The second is where the ignition wire comes through the sheet metal panel(mine is siliconed in) and a good place for voltage leaks. Couple cheap checks.
__________________
2017 Puma 297RLSS
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 diesel SMOKER!!
I love puns, irony and tasteless jokes...
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:22 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
modaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Green bay
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by modaholic View Post
I have the same suburban water heater. Getting ready to leave the camp site , while taking a shower, I ran out of water using the GAS mode. When I got home I tried to lite the water heater in GAS MODE with no water in the tank. No dsi spark . After checking all connections I found nothing to get the dsi to click. I then connected the water hose to the TT , filled the hot water tank and the dsi functioned, I now have it working again . Any ideas what the problem was .


Does anyone have a comment?
modaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:31 AM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 32
Guessing board short or loose connection. Suggest you check clip in connections at board. The ride home could have jarred it back into place.

I finally got a chance to replace the igniter / flame sensor on mine over the weekend. Still won't heat on propane. Igniter clicks but that's all. Can manually light but goes out after five seconds. Opened the access panel and verified that all connections to the board were tight. Still works on electric mode. Has to be a bad circuit on the board. Back to the dealer it will go.
lapoldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:35 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
modaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Green bay
Posts: 121
Thanks for your reply. Where is this board located .
modaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:59 PM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 32
Mine was stuck on top of the water heater with double sided tape. Not sure where yours is, but on my 300BH, you can access the water heater by removing the lower drawer in the bunkhouse. I was able to reach in and check the connections.

Lou
lapoldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
heater, suburban, water, water heater

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:18 AM.