Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2022, 09:12 PM   #1

Suburban Hot Water Heater

I canít get my hot water tank to light on propane. When Iím at the tank I hear the valve open and can smell propane but donít hear it try to light. The water tank works just fine on electric.

Iíve tried all the gas appliance in the trailer and the all work fine.

Any ideas??
chad.weiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 10:03 PM   #2

Did water splash

Did water splash on the front of it? Try blowing off the electronics, look for loose connections, is there a gap from igniterís tip to where it jumps to metal? If igniters tip rattled loose and is touching -no click-no spark-no light. Look for simple first then maybe igniter is bad.
Mjeronimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 07:44 AM   #3

The igniter provides a flame presence feedback signal to the board. What I' ve found is a bad ground. Remove the heat shield, loosen the flare nut at the flame tube, remove the nut holding the igniter to the burner chamber. Wire brush the rust and oxidation from those areas. Take a piece of scotch brite and gently take the oxidation from the igniter and ground. Reassemble all. AND report back!
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 12:45 PM   #4

Tried all of the above and no luck. Kinda upsets me since this is a brand new unit that was still winterized which means the dealer never checked it.

I notice a few other small things that were fixed prior to delivery but clearly they missed the ball in this one
Old 05-22-2022, 12:47 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad.weiman View Post
I canít get my hot water tank to light on propane. When Iím at the tank I hear the valve open and can smell propane but donít hear it try to light. The water tank works just fine on electric.

Any ideas??

Just to be sure, you are trying to heat it with propane....with the tank water cool inside? What I am getting at, is the propane will not come on if the water is already heated from the electric element.

If people could burn calories from jumping to conclusions, obesity wouldn't be a problem.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 12:58 PM   #6
Site Team

Read post #15 in this thread link below to make sure your DSI spark ignitor cable has a good wire connection to the electrode:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post1828302

The other end of that same spark cable (orangish rust color) connects to the module board. It also could have come loose there too. Post #26 in the same thread link above will show the module board.

If people could burn calories from jumping to conclusions, obesity wouldn't be a problem.
Old 05-22-2022, 12:58 PM   #7

Quote:

Any ideas??
Seems you can smell propane when the gas valve opens but no spark . control board bad won't be the first one . get a small dinosaur board perfect replacement order the cover with it .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 02:59 PM   #8

If it's brand new go back to dealer for warranty service . Go to library and check manual should be at least 1 yr maybe more
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 09:21 AM   #9

Iíve tried all of your suggestions to no avail. For now I still have hot water through the electric part of the tank. I appreciate all the tips though, thank you.

Iíll bring it back to the dealer to fix now since itís still under warranty. Just peeved that I have to drive out there when they should have caught this pre delivery. Thank god theyíre only 15 min from my house
Old 05-23-2022, 11:45 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Iíve tried all of your suggestions to no avail. For now I still have hot water through the electric part of the tank. I appreciate all the tips though, thank you.

Iíll bring it back to the dealer to fix now since itís still under warranty. Just peeved that I have to drive out there when they should have caught this pre delivery. Thank god theyíre only 15 min from my house
Are you aware that you can use an independent RV shop or mobile RV technician? You just have to get pre-approval from FR and be willing to be reimbursed. Also the WH has its own separate warranty.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 08:05 PM   #11

Heh, heh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Just to be sure, you are trying to heat it with propane....with the tank water cool inside? What I am getting at, is the propane will not come on if the water is already heated from the electric element.
Heh, heh, that one got me last week. Arrived at the trailer when it was 96 degrees outside, hotter inside. Put the food in the refrigerator (already on), turned on the propane, got good flame at the range, turned on the water heater and stuck my head out the door to listen for tick-tick-tick-whoomp as I always do. Nothing. Repeat. Nothing. Turned on the electric switch instead.

I was thinking about it today. It's cooler. Turned off the electricity. Let it cool for few hours. Drew a couple of gallons of hot water into a bucket. Turned on the DSI switch and tick-tick-whoomp.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 06:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Are you aware that you can use an independent RV shop or mobile RV technician? You just have to get pre-approval from FR and be willing to be reimbursed. Also the WH has its own separate warranty.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app

If you contact Suburban they may even send you a new board you can install yourself and save more downtime or so your mobile RV tech can install it for you.
Old 05-24-2022, 07:32 AM   #13
dotsonjc

Check your 12v system

Read through the posts and didn't see any mention to check your battery & fuse. Igniter should be running off 12v, and if the battery is dead (or turned off with a disconnect) or the fuse is bad you won't get spark.

Past:
2012 Coachman Freedom Express 22DSX
dotsonjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 12:08 PM   #14

Thanks everybody for your responses. I've tried everything other than checking the board. I contacted the dealership and as frustrated as I am they have been good about getting this problem fixed quickly. I'll let everyone know what they find when I bring the trailer in next week.
Old 05-26-2022, 12:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Thanks everybody for your responses. I've tried everything other than checking the board. I contacted the dealership and as frustrated as I am they have been good about getting this problem fixed quickly. I'll let everyone know what they find when I bring the trailer in next week.
This may be the exact thing you need to do. I had a similar issue on mine where the igniter wouldn't spark. Of course, took the whole exterior side of the WH apart to no avail. Went on a 6 night trip using electric only. After getting back, looked at the control board (backside of WH inside the trailer) for a part number to replace it myself and found the igniter wire jiggled lose and disconnected. Reconnected it and it has worked flawlessly ever since.

Here is my write up from my facebook post on it:

Just a PSA: Our trailers get towed and rattled down the road. If something worked on your last trip and doesn't now, it may be a simple fix. We used our trailer in April and it had been parked since. Last week, testing the day before a 6 night trip, the propane side of the water heater was not working. We used the electric side all week without issue. Through a process of diagnostics, the thermostat was fine, it was getting propane but wouldn't light. It was either the ignition module (looks like a spark plug) or the control board. This morning, I went to test the control board to see if I needed a new one. Low and behold, through our 9,300 miles of towing the trailer, the ignition wire had come loose off the coil. After plugging it in, flipping the switch, the sweet "click, click, woooosh" sound happened. We are back in business for $0 repair cost. Bottom line, it may very well be something simple that can disable an entire system in the trailer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	214392231_357932839042725_4798071672763884498_n.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	273963

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 01:03 PM   #16

I only had a quick peak at the backside of my tank but dumb me I didnít check if it was tight. Itís a real pain in the cherokee as the water tank is on the driver side under the bed/closet.

Iíll keep you posted
Old 05-26-2022, 11:24 PM   #17

I've had the switch go bad on a Suburban.
RussPastuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 12:51 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:

Any ideas??
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussPastuch View Post
I've had the switch go bad on a Suburban.

Russ, if you are talking about the switch for the electric heating element on your Suburban (which are known to go bad).....then that's not the OP's problem. They stated in their OP that their water heater works fine on electric.

Old 06-09-2022, 07:18 PM   #19

So it turns out it was the board on the water tank. It was replaced under warranty. Thanks for all the help!
Old 06-09-2022, 11:18 PM   #20

Quote:
So it turns out it was the board on the water tank. It was replaced under warranty. Thanks for all the help!
Thanks for letting us know you solved your problem.

Good luck in future and be safe -

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, hot water, suburban, water, water heater