Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2024, 01:33 PM   #1

Suburban Stock Hot Water Tank Anode

Had a new Suburban SW6DEL hot water tank installed last spring. Wondering if anyone knows if the factory tank anodes are Magnesium, Zinc or Aluminum? I'm thnking Magnesium since that's all that is shown on their website under the accessories section. Our park has very hard water and not only do the anodes wear quickly, there is also often a smell later in the season as the well gets depleted. I agree with the idea of regularly changing the anode, I usually do at least every two years, but thinking an aluminum anode can help with the odour and reduce the amount of "anode gravel" in the tank every year. A visual comparison dowsn't seem to help, they all look the same to my eyes and after a week in the tank they're discoloured anyway.
Old 05-11-2024, 01:38 PM   #2
Site Team

Magnesium. Let me get you link

I want to go to Bora-Bora, but Im too Pora-Pora.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 01:40 PM   #3
Site Team

See this link where we keep 5 videos that Suburban provided on youtube. The very first one is about the anode rod and Mark Polk explains that all their tanks come stock with a magnesium anode rod. He will also explain other things too you may find interesting.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...es-135977.html

Old 05-11-2024, 01:42 PM   #4

Awesome! Thanks WMTire. What I thought. I'll try an aluminum on my next change and see if any difference.
Old 05-11-2024, 01:45 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willhound View Post
Awesome! Thanks WMTire. What I thought. I'll try an aluminum on my next change and see if any difference.

Mark will explain the situations where you would use the aluminum one in that video. It's for water that consumes a magnesium one too fast. The video will explain the function which you may want to stick with the magnesium.

Old 05-11-2024, 01:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Mark will explain the situations where you would use the aluminum one in that video. It's for water that consumes a magnesium one too fast. The video will explain the function which you may want to stick with the magnesium.
Will check it out for sure. Consumption isn't a worry, except for the sludge, but aluminum might help with the odour. Will make my best guess after watching.
Willhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 03:24 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willhound View Post
Will check it out for sure. Consumption isn't a worry, except for the sludge, but aluminum might help with the odour. Will make my best guess after watching.

There is also a video in that link about the rotten egg/sulfur smell

Old 07-08-2024, 01:13 PM   #8

Reviving this thread to report an absolute win! A few weeks ago the rotten eggs smell came back big time...but only in the hot water. I ordered an Aluminum/Zinc anode (actually found a pack of 4 for $40 CDN) and after shutting off the bypass valves I drained the tank. The crap that came out of there reeked! Like a grey sludge. If you've ever been on the tidal flats on the intra-coastal in Florida at low tide, that's the smell. Flushed the tank until all the sludge out and installed the new anode. A week later and the hot water is perfect. The old anode came out coated in the deposits seen in the pic and if you run the greyish powder between your fingers all you smell is sulfur. A reaction between the sulfides in the hard water and the magnesium anode rod. A regular maintenance item for me will be to drain and flush the tank a couple times a year and change the anode. The anode shown in the pic was just installed 2 months ago....Thanks to all for the tips.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240703_174107_copy_2016x1512_1.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	263.5 KB
ID:	301793  
Willhound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anode, hot water, suburban, tank, water, water tank