RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 06-18-2020, 10:43 PM   #1
Green Horn

Suburban water heater

Quick question just to see if it working correctly.

Here is my question, slash me being peraniond that’s things are breaking.

2015 29IK

We arrive turn the water heater switch on, the red light comes on (DSI FLT) not sure what it stands for, just know it’s means the hot water heater in on, go out to make sure it “fires” up, all is well. But I keep thinking to myself this water should be hotter at some points during our stay (we never run out of hot water).

So tonight I went out as everyone was getting a shower, the heater never fired on the propane side, I do have the the switch turned on for electric “backup” but still I thought would kick on.

Im I missing something or this normal?
Thanks
kevin211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 02:08 AM   #2

Your red light should come on momentarily while WH tries to light. Once it does, the light should go off. If it doesn't go off, then that means that the WH did NOT light. It will try this 3 times then "lock out" & not try again and the light will stay ON until you turn the propane side off.
If you're using both propane & electric to heat the water then it should heat up faster. Just because the propane side is not firing up during use may just mean the the electric side is doing a good job or the water temp. hasn't dropped enough for the heater to fire up.

Also, the electric side can be used alone not just as a "backup". If you're at a campground & hooked up to the proper power requirements for your RV (30 or 50 amp), why not use their electric to run the WH and save your propane?
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 07:27 AM   #3
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
Your red light should come on momentarily while WH tries to light. Once it does, the light should go off. If it doesn't go off, then that means that the WH did NOT light. It will try this 3 times then "lock out" & not try again and the light will stay ON until you turn the propane side off.
If you're using both propane & electric to heat the water then it should heat up faster. Just because the propane side is not firing up during use may just mean the the electric side is doing a good job or the water temp. hasn't dropped enough for the heater to fire up.

Also, the electric side can be used alone not just as a "backup". If you're at a campground & hooked up to the proper power requirements for your RV (30 or 50 amp), why not use their electric to run the WH and save your propane?

Thanks for the reply, just thought as people got a shower that it would be using “fire” to heat the water that is coming in to replace what is used.
Old 06-19-2020, 08:09 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

DSI FLT stands for Direct Spark Ignition Fault
rracer did a good job of describing how it works.

When using BOTH methods of heating (120v and LP) it is very possible the electric element will keep the water hot enough (during NORMAL use and once heated from cold) for the LP side to never kick in until the water gets fairly cold again.

We use both when showering and my DW can take her shower and the LP side doesn't kick in until I get about 1/2 way through mine.

We've also tried it while doing dishes and the LP side never comes on.

It just depends on how much water you use all at once. (or very quickly)
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=21
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:08 AM   #5
Site Team

The six posts in this Suburban FAQ thread link below may help explain a lot of things on the operation of your water heater

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ore-36197.html

I often say to myself, "I can't believe that cloning machine worked."
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 01:44 PM   #6
Green Horn

Thanks everyone, we are good, I got my paranoia u set control, ran enough water to confirm that the LP is “firing” when needed...

Tags
heater, suburban, water, water heater