Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2021, 09:39 PM   #1

Suburban Water Heater Trouble shooting

I found this thread on YouTube for trouble shooting the suburban water heater with dual power. Very informative.

I also discovered what the light on the water heater switch means. This is the switch inside the RV on the cabinets with a red light next to it. my 2010 Wildcat. When the light is on that means that the water heater is trying to light. When light goes off that means that the burner is lit, has timed out?, or that the tank has reached the thermostat set temp. It is labeled "Reset" but does not mean a reset is needed. The light being out does not mean that the water heater is not working, it just means it is not trying to light now. Be sure the gas is on and run gas to the stove to clear the lines. Be sure you have 12 volts or more. I also discovered that I can leave the AC switch on and use the WH 110V breaker to turn the water heater on or off. easier than going outside and removing the cover. Cheers
MontanaWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:47 AM   #2

This is something that is often overlooked on the PDI by the dealership showing the rig to the buyer during sale. I think Youtube videos are great as long as you take them with a grain of salt.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaWill View Post
When the light is on that means that the water heater is trying to light. When light goes off that means that the burner is lit, has timed out?, or that the tank has reached the thermostat set temp. It is labeled "Reset" but does not mean a reset is needed. The light being out does not mean that the water heater is not working, it just means it is not trying to light now. Be sure the gas is on and run gas to the stove to clear the lines. Be sure you have 12 volts or more. I also discovered that I can leave the AC switch on and use the WH 110V breaker to turn the water heater on or off. easier than going outside and removing the cover. Cheers
In our tt, it meant that the wh had lit when the light went off. You could usually hear the gas light. Now if it goes off and then the light goes on again, it means a failure to light on propane.
You shouldn't have to go outside or use the breaker to turn the wh on. There is usually a switch inside the rig to turn the wh 'on' using electric.
What kind of wh do you have? Most will run on both electric and propane which makes it faster to reheat the water in the tank.
Old 04-09-2021, 05:37 PM   #4

I can’t find a switch to turn the electric on the water heater I do have a red switch behind the stove that I don’t know what it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9A7CFE90-F004-49A7-BEAD-9FF4C681DF1F.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	251598  
Barryv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 05:42 PM   #5
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barryv View Post
I can’t find a switch to turn the electric on the water heater I do have a red switch behind the stove that I don’t know what it is.
We have NO idea what kind of RV you have, so there’s no hope to help resolve your problem with your mystery switch, or if you even have an electric water heater.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 05:46 PM   #6

Sorry about that it’s a 2016 Coachman clipper 17 FQ.
Old 04-09-2021, 05:56 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
It would help if you posted make and model number of WH.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 06:16 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:

If you have a Suburban brand tank type water heater in your RV, then this thread link below may help you locate the switch for the electric heating element (if equipped)

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ore-36197.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 06:20 PM   #9

Model SW6 D
Serial #151307885

Thanks
Old 04-09-2021, 06:23 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Model SW6 D
Serial #151307885

Thanks

That model is propane (Direct Spark Ignition) only. If there is no E in the model number after the D, then you do not have an electric heating element.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 04-09-2021, 06:28 PM   #11
Site Team

Here is a screenshot from an Suburban repair manual. I've always chuckled at their spelling of "explination"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2021-04-09 WH_Service and Training Manual 11 pdf.png
Views:	56
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	251603  

Old 04-09-2021, 06:33 PM   #12
Site Team

Here is a more detailed breakdown:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2021-04-09 Model Number Breakdown.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	303.1 KB
ID:	251604  

Old 04-09-2021, 06:43 PM   #13

Thanks everyone, helped a lot.
Old 04-09-2021, 07:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
In our tt, it meant that the wh had lit when the light went off. You could usually hear the gas light. Now if it goes off and then the light goes on again, it means a failure to light on propane.
You shouldn't have to go outside or use the breaker to turn the wh on. There is usually a switch inside the rig to turn the wh 'on' using electric.
What kind of wh do you have? Most will run on both electric and propane which makes it faster to reheat the water in the tank.
I have a 2010 or so Suburban water heater. The 110 AC switch is on the outside of the tank under the outside cover, just below the gas valves. There is no switch inside the rig for AC power except the AC breaker. The inside switch is for 12 volt and Propane. So I considered that the breaker could be used as the inside switch. The light on the DC switch had me confused. It is off when the thermostat has reached its set point and also off when the propane has lit. It is on when the unit is ready to light/ trying to light.
MontanaWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:34 PM   #15

I did figure out what the red switch was for, The original owner put a fan in the fridge and the switch turns the fan off and on.

Tags
heater, suburban, water, water heater