Old 07-19-2020, 04:20 PM   #1

Sulfur Smell from Water Heater

Have been catching up on house maintenance lately. One of my recent projects was to replace the anode rod in my house's hot water heater.

While looking for the proper anode rod for my unit I ran across some information regarding Magnesium vs Aluminum vs Aluminum/Zinc rods.

According too the "pro's" Magnesium is the preferred metal for "City Water" and Aluminum for "Well Water". Apparently Aluminum or Aluminum/Zinc rods do a better job of fighting the sulfur smell.

The "Pro's also suggested that when replacing the annode rod the heater would benefit from a shock treatment of Hydrogen Peroxide. On a residential heater it's easy to pour a couple bottles of Peroxide in the anode hole. On an RV I suppose one could pump it into the hot water tank through the antifreeze port without changing the winterizing valve positions. Since the hot water tank is now empty it will be the one that gets most if not all of the liquid being pumped in.

Anyone else run across this info before?

"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water, water heater