Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2010, 08:05 PM   #1

Exclamation Surprise after sanitizing fresh water tank

Spent the weekend sanitizing the fresh water tank with a bleach solution. After 2 flushes of the tank, I closed the drain valve and filled up the tank. The next day, I noticed a small water spot on the ground under the drain valve. Looks like the valve seal has developed a leak maybe due to opening/closing the valve during flushing.

Do I now have to replace the slide valve on the drain? I hoping the leak will eventually stop...

--Ryan
Old 08-24-2010, 08:27 PM   #2

Drain valves are probably three dollars. Go buy a new one and be done with it.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by agoodhi View Post

Do I now have to replace the slide valve on the drain? I hoping the leak will eventually stop...

--Ryan
Looks like it. I don't think it'll stop.

RV fresh water tank drain cock.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn View Post
Drain valves are probably three dollars. Go buy a new one and be done with it.
$3, not mine. My fresh water tank drain valve is the same type used on the black/gray holding tanks.

--Ryan
Old 08-25-2010, 04:28 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Never seen a slide valve used for a fresh water tank drain. Are you sure you are looking at the right valve? Not saying you aren't right, just never seen it, course there a lot of other things I've never seen, like an honest politician.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:29 PM   #6

I thought mine was leaking one time so I kept tightening the cap until it stopped. Turned out I had just overfilled the tank and it was running from the overflow down to the lowest point which was the drain cap. Real fun came after the next trip when I went to drain the tank again. Never guessed I was turning it that tight. Old Guys
Old 10-18-2010, 04:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by old guys View Post
Turned out I had just overfilled the tank and it was running from the overflow down to the lowest point which was the drain cap.
Bingo! It was just overflow water from the inlet. Tanks are still full and no more leaks.

Anyone know how many drops of bleach for a 60 gallon tank, I should be putting in to keep the water in the tanks free from bacteria? Yes, I keep my tanks filled year round for emergencies/natural diasters.

--Ryan
Old 10-18-2010, 11:17 PM   #8

Are you using city water or well water? City should be chlorinated all ready shouldnt have to add bleach to it .Well water may be a different story,i would think only a tablespoon should help it some and not be to strong, but this is only a guess.Maybe check with local water guys and see what they recommend
Old 10-19-2010, 06:00 AM   #9

Pathogens be gone.

Rule of thumb is one cup of bleach for every 60 gallons of water. I haven't been able to find if this is a safe level for drinking water so I just use this measure to sanitize and then drain.

What You Need to Know About RV Fresh Water Systems--Part 2
Old 10-19-2010, 07:47 AM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
$3, not mine. My fresh water tank drain valve is the same type used on the black/gray holding tanks.

--Ryan
Could this be the galley tank drain? The fresh water drain should be a white spigot with a leaver on top.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:16 AM   #11
Site Team

With and already sanitized tank, if you're adding chlorinated water there's no need to add extra. The chlorine won't degrade out of the sun if there's no organics to oxidize.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:29 AM   #12

Quote:
I keep my tanks filled year round for emergencies/natural diasters.
Wish I could do that... I'm new here, so most of you don't know me, I'm a Fire Instructor PT, as I've been in the Fire Service for 39 years now, but my FT employment is as Chief of Response fo the NYS Office of Emergency Management!

If I tried that for "emergencies/natural disasters", I'd have a 35 gakllon block of ice for 3 or 4 months out of the year! (I dokeep mine filled from April/May until mid to late October, fo that purpose....

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:31 PM   #13

i have used both city and well (untreated) and not had a problem. there is no sunlight to promote growth. it would probably depend on the mineral content as to how much smell u get.
to be on the safe side, try the tablespoon/tank to start. if u can smell anything the next day, i would leave it there.
when i lived closer to the coast, i did the same thing. when i filled at home, it was from the well. my tank was drained from jan till april. during the other times, i doubt that water sat in it more than a month at a time. that may account for me not having a problem with it. my well water is very low to nonexistant in sulfur content.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote