Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2022, 09:15 PM   #1

SW6DE Inconsistent Lighting

I have a new TT that has been used for a few weeks where I’m experiencing water heater issues when operating on propane. I’ve watched many YouTube videos and read many posts but can’t resolve my issue.

The DSI light regularly comes on, and I can usually get it to light after resetting a few times after it goes through the 3 attempt/lockout cycle. Once lit, sometimes it is good all day, lighting several times through the day before the DSI light comes back on. Today, I couldn’t get it to light after 5 reset attempts. If I try tomorrow, it may work, it seems random.

When it is going through the 3 attempts, I hear the “thud” which I believe is the gas valve opening, and clicking from the igniter. Sometimes it “almost” lights, and I hear a pop/backfire sound, before it ultimately fails to light. When it does light, I can definitely hear the flame/burning in the tube… it never lights then goes out after a few seconds. When it lights, it’s fine…getting it to light reliably is the issue. It seems to me like a propane issue, and I’ve tried the lighting the stove trick…the stove works fine. I’ve switched tanks. What’s odd is that after a day of successful use, the issue pops up again, so it doesn’t seem like an air in the line situation. I’m stumped, any ideas?
jpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 11:04 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Have you checked/cleaned the burner tube?

Insects, especially spiders love to spin webs in them and often create issues just as you describe.

There's a cleaning brush available just for this purpose.

Days Camped: '17=38 '18=49 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=95
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 06:44 AM   #3
Part-Time Campground Host

Mine does the same things. I've cleaned it and it still does those exact things, but it is random.
I've found that if I open the door (let it hang down) it lights first time, every time.
Only thing I can think of is wind direction? It's been like this for years.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1317
cboss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 07:21 AM   #4

Thanks for the tips, I’ll try them out!
jpaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light