Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2021, 09:45 PM   #1

Tank fills from city connection again

Getting tired of this happening every time I go to use the city water connection. This time it hasn't cleared yet, no matter how many times I have alternated running the pump and then trying city again. Would it hurt anything to put a separate check valve in the line from the pump outlet where it connects to the common pex line? I hate to replace a pump that works otherwise if there is a cheaper, better solution. I am about to wish I had my old trouble free trailer back.
lah2420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 10:11 PM   #2

You should put the check valve on the inlet side of the water pump. The reason is that if the internal check valve in the pump is leaking by, and the check valve is on the outlet side of the pump, pressure will bleed off through the internal check valve of the pump and cause the pump to cycle on and off when there is no water demand. If the check valve is on the inlet side of the pump the pressure will not bleed back into the fresh water tank and the pump will not cycle.

There are also rebuild kits available for some pumps.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 05:54 AM   #3

Thanks. It is just aggravating that I have had more trouble in 3 months than I had in 11 years. I know there is a kit for this one. It is just maddening that it even needs attention. I will probably pull the pump after this trip to see how much trash os in the head. Just venting frustrations.
Old 06-17-2021, 09:33 AM   #4

If I was going to pull the pump anyway, I would replace it with an upgrade. Solve your problem, frustration, and get better water delivery for fairly cheap
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 01:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lah2420 View Post
Getting tired of this happening every time I go to use the city water connection. This time it hasn't cleared yet, no matter how many times I have alternated running the pump and then trying city again. Would it hurt anything to put a separate check valve in the line from the pump outlet where it connects to the common pex line? I hate to replace a pump that works otherwise if there is a cheaper, better solution. I am about to wish I had my old trouble free trailer back.
Speaking of my set up with our 34QS m/h. I have a water manifold, there are 3 inlet water connections! One for filling the fresh water tank & it has a one way valve, one for city water & the other for rinsing the black water tank! That being said, if you have more than one way to use water, maybe they are mis labeled? I would think that the city water hook up would in no way be connected to your on board pump & wound not add to your fresh water tank! Hope this helps!
Snoopy
snoopy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 01:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy1 View Post
Speaking of my set up with our 34QS m/h. I have a water manifold, there are 3 inlet water connections! One for filling the fresh water tank & it has a one way valve, one for city water & the other for rinsing the black water tank! That being said, if you have more than one way to use water, maybe they are mis labeled? I would think that the city water hook up would in no way be connected to your on board pump & wound not add to your fresh water tank! Hope this helps!

Snoopy
All water pumps utilize a check valve that keeps the water from going back into the fresh tank, especially when using shore water pressure. This check valve can fail or get stuck in an open position, allowing city water pressure past it and into the tank. I believe this is what the OP is referring to.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 02:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lah2420 View Post
Sounds like there might be a small piece of trash fouling the check valve.

Pumps are easy to disassemble and clean check valve as well as it's seat.

Before I spent money on a new pump or auxilliary check valve I'd try servicing the pump first.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 03:08 PM   #8

tank fills from city connection again

I stopped this with an adjustable pressure regulator for a while then it started happening again so in stead of fooling with check valves or new pump I cut the line running to the fresh water tank and installed a shark bite cut off valve. now nothing goes to fresh water tank unless i want it to.

2018 Rockwood 2606WS
2005 dodge ram turbo diesel
Easymoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 03:42 PM   #9
Flyboy1950

This always worked for me

I’ve only had that happen twice over the years, but off this forum, I copied this answer and it has worked for me:

To stop water pump from slowly filling fresh water tank while connected to city water:
Shut off city water
Open faucet until water stops running
Shut off faucet
Turn on water pump
open faucet and run water for a minute
Shut off faucet
When pump stops running, turn off pump
Turn on city water
This procedure will reseat the water pump back flow valve. Remember: Do not run pump when city water on.
Sbosserman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 03:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbosserman View Post
I’ve only had that happen twice over the years, but off this forum, I copied this answer and it has worked for me:

To stop water pump from slowly filling fresh water tank while connected to city water:
Shut off city water
Open faucet until water stops running
Shut off faucet
Turn on water pump
open faucet and run water for a minute
Shut off faucet
When pump stops running, turn off pump
Turn on city water
This procedure will reseat the water pump back flow valve. Remember: Do not run pump when city water on.
It usually works unless there's "junk in the pump".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 05:08 PM   #11

I installed a separate check valve.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 07:55 PM   #12

On my unit 2020 Forest River Unit,I didn't have a problem with either city water or the water pump filling the tank when hooked up to city water; However after I disconnected city water the pump didn't want to start up. There was water in the tank. After a bit of turning pump on and off, opening and closing faucets it started working again. Not sure what happened? Valve stuck for awhile?
Foothills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:57 PM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy1 View Post

Snoopy
Maybe this will help you understand there IS a connection in the plumbing between the city water and the pump...Click image for larger version

Name:	plumbing_03.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	257251

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 09:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foothills View Post
On my unit 2020 Forest River Unit,I didn't have a problem with either city water or the water pump filling the tank when hooked up to city water; However after I disconnected city water the pump didn't want to start up. There was water in the tank. After a bit of turning pump on and off, opening and closing faucets it started working again. Not sure what happened? Valve stuck for awhile?

I would suspect that there was still pressure in the lines, thus preventing your water pump from kicking in until the pressure fell below the turn on pressure for the pump.
phipps33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank