Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2012, 09:09 AM   #1

Tank Sensor Question

So I've been doing all the reading about how these sensors never working correctly. I have a brand new Flagstaff and my Black tank, even while using the GEO method, goes from 1 light to 3 and stays there. This past weekend I emptied, added water softener and detergent, and when I got home, it still reads 3/4 full.

Now for my question. Why isn't this a warranty issue? Basically, the probes don't work. They (Forest River) know these are junk and can't be trusted. Has anyone ever taken their new camper back to the dealer to have this fixed? To have a more accurate sensor setup installed under warranty?

Just curious!
2013 Flagstaff 26RLSS
2012 Days Camped - 20
Sailfish Bret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:18 AM   #2

Sensors

We have a 2008 Georgetown 374 Motorhome and since day 1 the sensor system for all tanks has a mind of its own. When I dump the black tank( all lights lit) and power flush...two lights are lit most of the time....I think that if anything happens to be near the sensor, it thinks the level is there.....previous motorhome experience is similar...good luck

George
ynott96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:37 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I dropped mine off last week for several seemingly small issues. One of them being the fresh water tank sensor has never worked correctly. It goes from full to empty, with nothing in between. This has caused me, in part, to burn up 2 water pumps. Since there is nothing to block a fresh water tank sensor, paper/waste, the system has to be faulty or not wired correctly. Just wonder how many of these instances could be the cause on the black tanks.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:38 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailfish Bret
So I've been doing all the reading about how these sensors never working correctly. I have a brand new Flagstaff and my Black tank, even while using the GEO method, goes from 1 light to 3 and stays there. This past weekend I emptied, added water softener and detergent, and when I got home, it still reads 3/4 full.

Now for my question. Why isn't this a warranty issue? Basically, the probes don't work. They (Forest River) know these are junk and can't be trusted. Has anyone ever taken their new camper back to the dealer to have this fixed? To have a more accurate sensor setup installed under warranty?

Just curious!
Bret ,
Try this.
Fill black tank with about 5 to 10 gallons of water than put a couple of big bags of ice down toilet the drive around.
There may be a dried piece of tp hanging on sensor.
Or fill black tank with water then do geo method drive around a bit then let sit for 3 or 4 days then drain.
Other suggestions will come I'm sure.
Good luck
Ron
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:39 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrost65
I dropped mine off last week for several seemingly small issues. One of them being the fresh water tank sensor has never worked correctly. It goes from full to empty, with nothing in between. This has caused me, in part, to burn up 2 water pumps. Since there is nothing to block a fresh water tank sensor, paper/waste, the system has to be faulty or not wired correctly. Just wonder how many of these instances could be the cause on the black tanks.
Most fresh water pumps can be ran dry without harm I'm wondering why's yours burnt up ?
Old 08-14-2012, 09:40 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailfish Bret View Post

Just curious!
because it's an Industry-wide issue that all brands of RVs have. you can't call it a FR issue.

basically, their side would be that perfect black tank maintenance would resolve the issue. if you would just keep the TP off the sensors, they would work correctly.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:51 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Most fresh water pumps can be ran dry without harm I'm wondering why's yours burnt up ?
Could have been due to the fact it was a couple hours after I realized the tank was dry and the pump was still running. Our pump can only be heard if it's completely quiet inside. Our outside kitchen faucet was to blame for the first pump. Closing the hatch door swiftly, can turn the faucet handle on just enough to run a steady stream of water. Found that out the hard way. Noticed on the 2013 models, they are putting single handle faucets on. I'm thinking someone else has noticed this also.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:58 AM   #8

Unfortunately, this issue is what you call "normal" for an RV. Sigh.....

If you are lucky enough to get the offending piece of tp or poop out of your tanks by using a Hydroflush elbow, ice, Calgon, tornado rinse, etc., this is still going to be an ongoing thing to deal with.

After inquiring about it here and getting many good suggestions, I ordered Horst probes for our black tank. Only about $35 for the set. Just arrived and have to go pick them up at the PO. I am really not sure why RV manufacturers just don't install Horst probes or equivalent. I'm sure if they bought them by the tens of thousands, there'd be a hefty discount and the end cost to the RV buyer would be next to nothing. I for one would have no problem with paying another $20 - $30 for a set of probes for at least the black tank to prevent the tank false readings.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:41 AM   #9

My camper actually came with a black tank flush installed. I ran it for almost 10 minutes yesterday after emptying the tank. Next I added the water softener and detergent.

Last trip out, it registered empty but after one day, it was already showing 3/4 full. Same with this past weekend. Maybe the probes are at the end of the pipe-run where the paper just lands on it - don't know. I hear those that say it's an "industry-wide" issue and not a FR problem but when you're under warranty and your A/C craps out (pun intended), do we say that's not a FR problem because they didn't make the A/C?

Based on what I've read to date, everyone excepts it as a "standard" problem and the dealers and FR get the pass. Mine will likely get a pass as well since they are 2 hours away from me. If they were closer, I think I'd press a little harder. Not that I want to be a jerk about it but when we spend our hard earned money on these toys, I for one am of the belief everything should work. It is after all, less than 3 months old.

As everyone has pointed out, it's a known issue that everyone pretty much deals with. What I'm hearing is; the industry puts products in the tanks knowing full well they will not work properly. Something doesn't seem right about that, especially when there are products on the market that actually work.

Thanks for everyone's response,
2013 Flagstaff 26RLSS
2012 Days Camped - 20
Old 08-14-2012, 12:04 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

My thoughts on this are as follows.
Although I do look at my gauges for reference I've been camping long enough that I know when I either need to dump or grab the tote for removing 20 gallons.
As a rule if your using the fw tank you'll almost never fill any one of your tanks without adding water to fw tank .
When using city water on a Friday Saturday and Sunday weekender will get black and gray shower almost full.
Kids take showers in shower house dw and I in camper.
5 kids and two adults and we very very seldom have to drain some off in a tote over a weekend.

My point is its just "something" you get to know.
Ron
Old 08-14-2012, 12:33 PM   #11

Hey Gil, how hard is it to change the probes? I can see that FR may be using the acceptable brand instead of the best and I don't mind paying the difference to have a dependable probe. We just got our SP240 and have taken two trips. The grey water works great and the black doesn't work at all. We never put paper in our toilet so I know it is not a paper issue. I am using the Geo method with this camper and it seems to work ok.

Like Ron & Amy we have camped enough that I am pretty sure when these tanks are going to fill up. Last weekend at the state park we didn't have sewer so I waited until the dump stations, the grey was full but I don't think the black had more than 10 gallons in it and part of that was prepping it for the Geo system. Does any one have a mail order source for the Waster Softener. We are so urban that none of the stores carry that item. I have to wait until we got out in the sticks to find a grocery store that had it and they only carried the liquid.

Any help appreciated.
(2011-42)
Cmmjmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmmjmoore View Post
Hey Gil, how hard is it to change the probes? I can see that FR may be using the acceptable brand instead of the best and I don't mind paying the difference to have a dependable probe. We just got our SP240 and have taken two trips. The grey water works great and the black doesn't work at all. We never put paper in our toilet so I know it is not a paper issue. I am using the Geo method with this camper and it seems to work ok.

Like Ron & Amy we have camped enough that I am pretty sure when these tanks are going to fill up. Last weekend at the state park we didn't have sewer so I waited until the dump stations, the grey was full but I don't think the black had more than 10 gallons in it and part of that was prepping it for the Geo system. Does any one have a mail order source for the Waster Softener. We are so urban that none of the stores carry that item. I have to wait until we got out in the sticks to find a grocery store that had it and they only carried the liquid.

Any help appreciated.

how does this work ?
Old 08-14-2012, 12:55 PM   #13

I'm wondering the same thing Turbo???
2013 Flagstaff 26RLSS
2012 Days Camped - 20
Old 08-14-2012, 01:09 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailfish Bret
I'm wondering the same thing Turbo???
I'm not really sure I want to know but the question does beg an answer.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:18 PM   #15

I'm thinking they put the used TP in a trash can.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:24 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I've read that some campers put the TP in a closed, waste container and dispose of it daily. Not for me.

The TP free method may put to use what all plumbers say...it washes off with lots of soap and water!

Seriously, I don't fret about the indicated level in the tanks. You soon learn the tanks capacity in days use after a while. You can always look down the hole with a flashlight into the black tank.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:37 PM   #17

We have a container it goes in and then take care of it at home. You have to be a regular kind of guy to be able to do this. (smile)
(2011-42)
Cmmjmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:30 PM   #18
Site Team - Lou

This issue has been solved:

These two threads have all the info you need.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ion-16089.html

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tor-26746.html

The source and "The Why" video are on this web page.

www.rvprobes.com

Black tank probe set is about 35 bucks and the gray and fresh set are 30 bucks each.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmmjmoore
We have a container it goes in and then take care of it at home. You have to be a regular kind of guy to be able to do this. (smile)
Nuff said
Old 08-14-2012, 02:59 PM   #20

Im still amazed more people dont just invest in the Tornado rinser.($35) I have the clear Camco adapter so I can see what's coming out of the tanks. I can empty my black tank completely and then hook the tornado up and you would not believe how much TP still comes out! More than when the tank was emptying itself.

I run the tornado for 5-10min and make sure EVERYTHING coming out is clear and water only.

The fact is....unless you rinse the tank really well, you WILL have TP hung up on those sensors. I have the least expensive FR model ever and have not once had an issue with tank sensors.

Just sayin....

TV = 2016 F-150 5.0L SCREW
Pit Crew: DW (Robin)
Kids: 9yo DD (Riley), 5yo DD (Kennedy)
Security: Boxer (Harley), yorkie (Willow)
BlakeB is offline   Reply With Quote