Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2016, 12:31 PM   #1

Tank Valve Leaking

Hi. We bought a used 2014 Silverback 33RL about 3 weeks ago. After the first trip (3 nights) I went to the dump station. All 3 levers were closed. I removed the tank cap and was met with about a gallon of smelly, brown water. Disgusting and embarrassing! I did my best to clean it up and, then, to dump the tanks. Not much came out, but some did, and I thought that was OK at the time. We returned home and I decided to open the cap again to try to understand the problem. This time I got about a gallon of the same smelly, brown liquid. Today we are preparing to go on our second trip. I cautiously opened the cap and nearly another gallon came out. There was nothing I could identify, such as TP, or worse, but stinking, brown liquid. The water pump has been off and I haven't had "city water" connected since we left after the first trip 2 weeks ago.

One of the tank valves must not be shutting all the way. If it’s the black tank, where are the solids? If it’s one of the two gray tanks, by is it smelly and brown? I have no idea how to correct this situation.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 08-05-2016, 12:44 PM   #2

Could be black tank and it's closing just enough to allow a small trickle of "stuff" out but nothing of any size. Might have toilet paper or something caught in the channel the valve is supposed to seat in. Just my very uninformed opinion.

As for cleaning it, again, this is just off the top of my head but I would completely empty it and run a hose up the end of the tube into the tank and start flushing.

Should be an extremely messy disgusting job.
Actually probably not a good idea.

Should probably just hook up a hose and flush from the other end and hope you get the problem cleaned out.
2016 Ford F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke DRW 4X4
2016 Brookstone 395RL
dwayneb236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 03:48 PM   #3
Site Team

A lot of people keep a plastic bucket to sit under the sewer outlet so it catches anything when opening the cap.

I believe the Silverback has a black tank flush. If so you can get it pretty clean if you'll spend some time letting it flush. Then you can inspect the valve to see if it's leaking.

There are a couple of ways to handle the problem.
1) Find out which valve is leaking and replace it. A kinda bad job, but pretty easy to actually change them.

2) Get a twist on waste valve and install it on the end of the sewer outlet. That way you can remove the cap and the valve will keep the leak at bay until you hook up the hose.

Tags
leak, tank