Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2022, 07:51 AM   #1

Tankless WH in a micro/mini lite?

Hello, we are picking up our 22 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25FBLS on Friday. Iím skeptical that a 6 gal Tank is going to suffice. Has anyone installed a tankless (i like the Truma comfort eco setting and de-calcification capability). Iím wondering if this is a feasible option to consider! We will visit national/state parks but also plan to spend a month or so at a time down south during the winter.
RobinJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 08:11 AM   #2

I have a 2021 fbls and yet to run out of hot water while showering. That said I don't take a house shower and stand there for 15 minutes. I have changed out the factory shower head , it was lackluster. The grey tank in the bathroom fills up quickly with sink also going into it . Not a problem when hooked up to utilities but state parks and national parks you have to watch usage . I'm happy with the size gallon capacity, recovery is fast also
Ken-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 08:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinJ View Post
Hello, we are picking up our 22 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25FBLS on Friday. I’m skeptical that a 6 gal Tank is going to suffice. Has anyone installed a tankless (i like the Truma comfort eco setting and de-calcification capability). I’m wondering if this is a feasible option to consider! We will visit national/state parks but also plan to spend a month or so at a time down south during the winter.
Considering that hundreds of thousands of RVs have 6 gallon water heaters, why do you think that it will be insufficient for you? Also, you need to consider what you are going to do with the large quantities of hot water you are planning on sending down the drains. Will you be hooked up to sewer connections (full hookups)?

Also, in general, you send a lot more water down the drain waiting for the hot water from a tankless water heater than you do with a conventional tank water heater. Unless you are at a full hookup site, you are going to fill your grey water waste tank faster with a tankless water heater. Unless you use a shower miser.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 08:47 AM   #4

The shower miser is a great addition to save water and grey tank capacity
Ken-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 09:25 AM   #5

There's no reason you can't convert to a propane tankless water heater. Personally, we like the unlimited water for hair washing. It's best if you've got full hookups just in case you get crazy using hot water.

Take a look at this https://tinyhousedesign.com/how-to-c...r-to-tankless/
Old 08-28-2022, 09:33 AM   #6

You mentioned staying at state and national parks, which don’t very often have full hook ups. That means your water system limitation is your fresh water capacity and your waste tank capacities. The 6 gallon water heater is not going to be a problem. If you burn through your hot water that fast that 6 gallons is not enough, you’ll be making multiple trips with the trailer to the dump and potable water stations.

The wife and I can take sequential showers with the 6 gallon heater in electric only mode and have plenty of hot water.

As mentioned already, a “water miser” is a great feature for managing hot water usage.
Old 08-28-2022, 09:54 AM   #7

6 gallons has worked for us all these years and we rarely run out of hot water -- but we're aware there's only 30 gallons of fresh water (and a 30 gallon grey waste tank) and even less hot so we take "submarine" showers; Water on and wet, water off and soap, water on and rinse. It's called camping, not a hotel.

Full service site running both LP and 120vAC elements in the heater provides a quicker recovery so a few minutes between persons usually provides plenty of hot water.

-- Chuck
Old 08-28-2022, 10:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken-m View Post
I have a 2021 fbls and yet to run out of hot water while showering. That said I don't take a house shower and stand there for 15 minutes. I have changed out the factory shower head , it was lackluster. The grey tank in the bathroom fills up quickly with sink also going into it . Not a problem when hooked up to utilities but state parks and national parks you have to watch usage . I'm happy with the size gallon capacity, recovery is fast also
Yes I do realize when not on full hookups it wont matter because you have to manage tanks and possibly even fresh water. My camper comes standard with the Miser. But we rented a Wildwood camper a couple of years ago thru RVShare (February 2020 in Gulf State Park) and the 6 gal ran cold in under 5 minutes. When on hookups in chilly weather, I want the option to keep the water running!

We probably wont stay in the parks if we can get close and have full hookups. At least not until we are really proficient at leveling.

I really was just asking if anyone has done this on a micro or mini lite successfully.

What is a good replacement shower head though? I should order one. Thanks!
RobinJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 11:08 AM   #9

As others have intimated, unless you are hooked up to city water AND sewer, the gray wastewater tank is the limiting factor in water usage (and not necessarily hot water capacity).

However –*at 60 gallons – your unit has a MASSIVE gray water tank - and every bit of the freshwater carried aboard (the 54 gal fresh tank AND the 6 gal in the hot water heater) will conceivably fit in your gray tank. This is a real plus. Additionally, using both the electric element AND gas heating in conjunction with each other will not only speed your recovery time, it will keep adding heat into the HWH as you're showering. And with the showermiser, you won't even waste water (and holding tank space) waiting for hot water to get to the showerhead from the hot water heater.

As surprising as it sounds, 6 gals is a nice easy amount for a camping cleanoff - and when used 50/50 with cold water - you will have plenty of hot water with which to shower. The showers in these rigs (even your large rear bath model) are pretty small, so the Navy Shower method is highly recommended. If you want a quick update for right now, replace the plastic factory showerhead and hose with a nicer, switchable unit: we went with an Oxygenics head based on input from here and online reviews.

The nice thing is that you'll be all set up to camp as-is: give the 6gal hot water heater a try this season, and - if it doesn't work and you really are running out of hot water - you can always refit with a Truma later.

Happy camping!
Rhumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite, mini lite, tank, tankless