Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2014, 09:53 PM   #21
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
I bet you are bald, no teeth and get irritable easily.
See what that old garden hose did to you.
And that's exactly why I don't post pictures of myself.

Now if you'll excuse me,I have to take my tranquilizers.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:04 PM   #22

Oh for goodness sake. Me and my brothers drank from the garden hose all the time and it didn't affect us none.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hillbillies.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	46529

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:08 PM   #23
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Oh for goodness sake. Me and my brothers drank from the garden hose all the time and it didn't affect us none.

Attachment 46529
I recommend that you follow my advice and don't post any pictures of yourself.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:25 PM   #24

Quote:
There are collapsible hoses that have heavy woven nylon on the exterior and come on a reel. I've thought about getting one of those for the 5er. Easy to store and "good enough" to flush the black tank.

IIRC we saw them at Camping World. A bit pricey.

I think this is it:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/25-repl-hose-for-handi-hose/3072
I had one of these about 20 yrs ago. Also a piece of junk. You'll notice a couple rollers on the holder. The idea is you rewind the hose up and it gets squeezed between the rollers, squeezing the water out. Unfortunately, the inside rubber and outside nylon don't stay in the same place, the nylon starts bunching up while the rubber gets pulled through. Not only that, but the inside diameter is smaller so you don't really get a lot volume through the hose.

Save your money.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:44 PM   #25
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Toxic Garden Hose Water: Drinking From Common Water Hoses Potentially Dangerous, Study Finds

When it's scorching hot out this summer, you may want to think twice before drinking from the garden hose.
A new study released by the Ecology Center in Ann Arbor, M.I., on HealthyStuff.org found that the water from common garden hoses is chock full of toxic materials that could harm the human body.
Lead is found in the brass fixtures at the mouth of gardening hoses and, out of the of 90 garden hoses screened, 33 percent of products contained levels of lead that exceeded those considered safe for children.

Garden hoses are not regulated by the Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA), which monitors the nation's public drinking supply. The study's findings showed that levels of lead in water coming from garden hoses they tested exceeded legal safe levels 100 percent of the time.
But lead wasn't the only dangerous material found in the water. According to the study, the water also contained plastic additives including phthalates —or plasticizers — and bisphenol A (BPA) that were "found to migrate out of the hose material into water contained in the hose."
The Food and Drug Administration defines BPA as an industrial chemical used to make hard, clear plastic. According to the FDA website, the National Institutes of Health is concerned with the potential effects of BPA on the brain, behavior, and prostate gland in fetuses, infants, and young children.
The study found levels of BPA at 20 times higher than those of safe drinking water levels.

The study reported that 100 percent of the garden hoses sampled contained several plasticizers currently banned in children's products. According to Health Stuff, consumption of these hazardous plasticizers can disturb normal hormonal processes and are linked to birth defects, altered levels of reproductive hormones, increased breast cancer risk, and asthma.
Though you'd likely have to drink a fair amount of affected garden hose water to see health consequences, the Ecology Center warns that even low levels of lead may create health problems.

Garden hoses containing lead typically will have warnings on their packaging and others will indicate if they are lead-free.

This is typical, unrealistic ridiculous testing that in no way represents what would happen in use, unless you are an idiot and like to drink water that has been sitting in a hose for 3 days in direct sunlight. Once you run any hose for a minute or two, there would be ZERO lead or anything else that was not water.

Typical enviro-nazi propaganda.

I worked for EPA as an engineer for 10 year and the pseudo science drove me CRAZY. They do some good work, but much of it is biased as well as the even more radical "enviro" groups out there.

Sorry for the rant.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:02 PM   #26
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
This is typical, unrealistic ridiculous testing that in no way represents what would happen in use, unless you are an idiot and like to drink water that has been sitting in a hose for 3 days in direct sunlight. Once you run any hose for a minute or two, there would be ZERO lead or anything else that was not water.

I worked for EPA as an engineer for 10 year and the pseudo science drove me CRAZY. They do some good work, but much of it is biased as well as the even more radical "enviro" groups out there.

Sorry for the rant.
X2 agree 100%
Old 02-20-2014, 11:17 PM   #27

We had (Red rubber & Black rubber hoses).We used them for everything,but if you wanted a (Cold) drink from them you (let er run awhile)! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:25 PM   #28
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post

Sorry for the rant.

X Eleventy! Except I'd disallow the words in bold. (wink)

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:46 AM   #29
RKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Wow - I guess my brothers,father and myself are lucky to be alive after reading this. I can't remember how many times we all drank water from the black hoses we used back then to wash cars,water the lawn etc.

That's for sure. Drank more water out of a garden hose than a kitchen faucet when I was kid. We just had to let it run for a bit to flush the bugs out and let it cool off if it was hot. I even ran with scissors a time or two. Hope mom doesn't read this .
My household is on filtered water from the fridge of bottled. That's the DW preference. It flips her out when I get a glass of water from the kitchen faucet lol.
RKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:38 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Aye, but there's a difference between a regular garden hose and those collapsable hoses. I don't use the x-hose for my drinking water because I don't trust it to remain under pressure. Anything that expands like a balloon, can pop like one too.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:52 AM   #31

Hey guys, I'm looking to replace my fresh water hose. I have one of those white hoses from walmart I think. It kinks and leaks at both ends. I've read about the "no kink" hoses. What do you guys think?
2002 EZGO Golf Cart
FandRChambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:35 AM   #32
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKR View Post
That's for sure. Drank more water out of a garden hose than a kitchen faucet when I was kid. We just had to let it run for a bit to flush the bugs out and let it cool off if it was hot. I even ran with scissors a time or two. Hope mom doesn't read this .
My household is on filtered water from the fridge of bottled. That's the DW preference. It flips her out when I get a glass of water from the kitchen faucet lol.
I guess I'm spoiled now - can't remember the last time I drew a glass of water from a house faucet. Too easy to open the fridge door and get a cool glass of water from the dispenser or grab a plastic bottle of it from the other fridge on the way out the door.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:53 PM   #33

Quote:
X2!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 02:04 PM   #34

As a kid and young adult I used them for drinking water as well.

Thing is, what kind of changes have been made in the materials used then vs now never mind what country they are made in now.