Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2019, 10:41 AM   #1

The inevitable shakedown glitch

We took our 2018 Forester MBS2401W up to a local campground for the shakedown cruise. This rig is basically brand new ... bought it from a guy who only put 2700 miles on it and a handful of outings before his mother-in-law passed and then they parked it in storage July of 2018. We bought it a few weeks ago and are really excited about it.

Anyway, I had fiddled with all the systems, sync'd in the phone apps for the OneControl, messed with generator, awnings, lights, batteries, shore power, slides, jacks, etc, etc, etc. in the driveway here and we were delighted at how nice everything works. No glitches or problems except for a loose speaker wire in the awning speaker (easy fix) and a loose wire on the auto steps for the lockout switch.

This lured me into (OK, I admit, lazy) thinking we were good to go. I never filled the water system but had fiddled with tank dumps and so on to see what was what.

SO... up the canyon we went with dogs and gear for an overnighter. We get up to the campground, found a gorgeous spot and then proceeded to look like greenhorns as we fumbled around a bit to get set up We have had a 27ft Jayco Feather and have that down to a science but we found a few little things with the new rig that weren't on the check list ... including the basket of fresh towels sitting next to the door at home (more on that in a minute).

Final step was to put some water in the fresh water tank for showers/toilet/rinsing ... we carry jugs of home tap water for drinking/dogs/dishes fortunately. Filled the tank about 1/4 of the way and all looked good.

Turned on the water pump at that point and had DW open the faucets. Heard the pump gurgle a bit and then hum like normal. DW yells out "nothing yet from the faucets". Pump is still gurgling ... "Hmmm... that's odd". About that moment is when DW starts screaming "turn it off!". Step inside and water was flooding the bathroom and running all over the floor. Here's where that basket of towels we forgot comes in ... we had two little dish towels to soak up several gallons of water .. .*DOH*!

Long story ... less long ...
  • Took apart the base of the shower to get to the pump ... all connections were secure and tight. After mopping up, it looked fine. hmmmm
  • Tracing the water lines a bit, they appeared to go behind the toilet and to the sink. We thought it was the toilet but turns out the water was just flowing out from under the sink into the low spot.
  • FINALLY, looked under the sink and back in the corner is the huge main water filter. Looked fine but wait! What is that? Shiny plastic pieces on the floor in the back of the cabinet!
  • Turns out evidently the PO hadn't drained the filter when they stored it ! The bottom is GONE and the canister is cracked on the backside! *DOH*

Easy fix, but the night was a little "dry" ... fortunately we were very close to campground toilets and stuff, but lesson learned.

Got home and ordered about $40 of new canister, new filter, etc. and should fix the problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0438.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	297.8 KB
ID:	212870   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0432.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	397.0 KB
ID:	212871  
kenmosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:52 PM   #2

And with that filter housing, when you winterize it, make sure you dry both threads. Do not leave them wet. I did not get the shirt.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:54 AM   #3

Good tip! Thanks ... reassuring to hear I'm not the only one!
Old 08-26-2019, 05:47 PM   #4

Just an update ...

Fixed the filter ... easy fix.

HOWEVER, as you might guess, all it did is show that the kitchen faucet was broke up inside the valve (plastic), the bathroom faucet (all plastic) dripped like crazy and there was an ominous hissing in the shower. *sigh*

So, new kitchen faucet (and the adapters since they were huge 1/2" fittings for some reason instead of typical household fittings), a new bathroom faucet (metal this time) AND then the big job... removed shower curtain/door tracks, threshold, hangers and then peeled the surround back to the shower valves.

Once getting to the back corner behind the valves, I find one of the plastic PEX elbows has a pinhole leak in it (spraying merrily). ANOTHER trip to the hardware store to get PEX clamps and a new brass fitting ... replaced the plastic fittings with brass (had to get a new PEX clamp tool too). Put everything pretty much back together and I'm waiting for the double sided tape to get here tomorrow so I can put the surround back together, put the shower door/curtain frame back together and re-silicone everything tight.

After ~$200 worth of faucets, adapters, PEX tool, fittings, etc. everything pressure tests fine again. All is back together except the shower and that shouldn't be too big of a deal now that the hard stuff is done. Important safety tip ... ALWAYS thoroughly winterize your rig!

This was a one of those "whack-a-mole" projects where you fix one thing and the next weakest link shows itself. The factory faucets were all Chinese plastic things so they froze/broke internally. Fortunately(?) the shower leak was in the plastic PEX elbow and not the valves and it probably saved them from breaking too.

Also, I'm never been one that's afraid to tear into something to fix it, so this could have been a nightmare and I'm thanking my lucky stars that it was resolved in a pretty straight forward method (no dropping tanks or tracing blind piping). We took the opportunity to upgrade the faucets to nice household style fixtures and I upgraded any plastic fittings that I could reach/find to the brass style replacements. In the end, I think we're probably in better shape, but MAN what a PITA!
Old 08-26-2019, 06:13 PM   #5

It sounds like it was never winterize no pink stuff anywhere. Frozen water can do a great deal of damage as you found out. Well look on the bright side you pretty know you whole water system now.
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:19 AM   #6

Yup, I think they just parked in storage in the summer and walked away. Like you said, I know more than I wanted to know about the water system now!