Old 05-28-2017, 11:43 AM   #1

Themostat or Switch ?

Does anyone know which side is the high limit and which is the thermostat? I am replacing my control module and I replaced this thermostat as well. Just want to make sure the wiring is correct. I know I know put it back where it was, but I was testing them while trouble shooting and had both red wires off the switch assembly. Picture shows the assembly laying just how the wiring diagram is. I thought the high limit has the button on top. But the diagram shows the thermostat on the right side.

2017 FR Wildwood 201BHXL
2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch Ecoboost
zorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 12:09 PM   #2

Don't know what water heater you have but the thermostat you picture would be the 120 volt thermostat for a suburban that has gas and electric heating. It uses the 2 black wires for the AC and the 2 red wires are for the DC thermostat as the diagram shows. Both thermostats have the reset at the top. The DC and AC thermostats are different part numbers.

bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 12:17 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Don't know what water heater you have but the thermostat you picture would be the 120 volt thermostat for a suburban that has gas and electric heating. It uses the 2 black wires for the AC and the 2 red wires are for the DC thermostat as the diagram shows. Both thermostats have the reset at the top. The DC and AC thermostats are different part numbers.
Correct. What the OP has pictured is the 120 volt hi/limit thermostat.

The 12 volt DC hi/limit thermostat is set up opposite.

As in this pic below, the 120 AC volt t'stat is on the left and the 12 volt DC t'stat is on the right.

If your water heater is propane ONLY, you would have the t'stat on the right.

You have to make sure you order and replace the correct one, as they are two different part numbers as explained by bubbles.

I've reported my DNA missing just in case it's found somewhere bad.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 12:31 PM   #4

Ok sorry I posted the wrong picture. Here is the one I purchased. Suburban 232282 Switch Assembly. For the 12v DC Suburban SW6D. Mine has 2 red wires only. I wanted to make sure I have these 2 wires on the correct terminals.

2017 FR Wildwood 201BHXL
Old 05-28-2017, 01:07 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorky View Post
Ok sorry I posted the wrong picture. Here is the one I purchased. Suburban 232282 Switch Assembly. For the 12v DC Suburban SW6D. Mine has 2 red wires only. I wanted to make sure I have these 2 wires on the correct terminals.

Ok, good, now that you have the correct t'stat pictured, you can see it matches the wiring schematic in your first post, as well as which wire goes to which spade terminal.

The hi-limit side goes to the junction box, and the thermostat side goes to the module board.

I've reported my DNA missing just in case it's found somewhere bad.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 01:52 PM   #6
Head Rambler

They are just switches, so it doesn't really matter which wire goes to which terminal, either way will work just as well. And that fusible link doesn't care which way the current flows.
Old 05-28-2017, 02:42 PM   #7

Thank you Bama Rambler. I knew which wire went to what, I just didnt know what was the high limit and what was the thermostat on the actual assembly. I was worried I would have it backwards and fry something.

2017 FR Wildwood 201BHXL
Old 05-28-2017, 04:54 PM   #8

The responders are like 100% better than me on this...but the one that is resettable should be the limit, because it's resettable.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
They are just switches, so it doesn't really matter which wire goes to which terminal, either way will work just as well. And that fusible link doesn't care which way the current flows.
X2

Grumpy7159 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
switch