Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2018, 11:45 AM   #1

Toilet clogging help.

So our toilet in our new to us travel trailer on a seasonal site does not flush directly into the black tank. The toilet discharges to a pretty flat surface about 5 inches under the toilet then runs under the floor and I have no idea how far before it goes into the tank. Our toilet paper etc just ends up sitting on this stupid flat shelf at the bottom. I shooshed it down the line with a stick and ran lots of water last weekend. Now this weekend same problem, but the shelf no longer fully clear of liquid and to after flushing which leads me to believe there is a mass on the bottom of the “pipe” or whatever our system consists of preventing full waste removal. Liquid flows fine but never fully drains. Does anyone else have a stupid tt like this or has any advice? I’ve read people say to snake it, and of course others say never to snake it for fear of busting through the tank or pipe.
I thought of maybe raising the front of the trailer a bit permanently for prevention.
Trailer model is in sig. very similar design to some jacos and zingers of the same vintage.

Thanks for any help. Hoping to have a good plan in place to go out with next weekend.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:09 PM   #2

Every trailer I've owned is almost flat under the toilet, and it's never the bottom of the tank itself. I'm guessing they are designed that way so the vent can do its thing and you don't get an overpowering sewer smell every time you flush the toilet.

Never leave the valve open, even on a seasonal site. For the system to function properly the tank has to fill so it drains with enough force to wash the solids into the sewer hose.

To get things functioning properly again close the valve and fill the tank completely until you see water almost up to the bottom of the toilet itself and drain. It will probably take several fills and drains to get things reasonably cleaned out. RV toilet treatment like TSP will help.

Every time you drain the tank always start with about 4-5 gallons of clean water in the tank. That should bring the level high enough so there is some water directly under the toilet. A dose of treatment chemical will help solids break down more quickly if the toilet is getting a lot of use and you have to empty frequently.

Good luck.
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:16 PM   #3

Also, if you are using the trailer weekends only try filling the tank before you leave on Sunday and let it sit all week then drain it when you arrive next weekend. Just be sure to check to be sure that there aren't any leaks under the trailer with the tank full before you leave the first couple of times, just to be safe. That will give it more time for the solids to break down. Then close the valve and add 4-5 gallons of water and treatment chemical as suggested previously. Repeat every weekend and you should be back in business, so to speak. [emoji3]
Old 07-15-2018, 12:23 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply. I never leave the tank open. Only open it to drain. I empty it after each week or two and I’ve flushed it once. My gauge has been working fine as far as I know and drain only if it’s 2/3 full or higher. After draining the black tank I put in enzyme solution and 3-4 gallons of water before shutting the trailer down for the next weekend.
The problem is whatever pipe connects the Toilet to the black tank does not fully remove material and it just sits no matter how much water is flushed.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:35 PM   #5

Definitely sounds like we are on the same page, sorry for assuming you are new to travel trailers.

Unfortunately. or fortunately for me, I've never had to unblock a clog as you are describing so I don't have any further ideas. I did mess things up pretty good my first season leaving the valve open, but I finally got it cleaned out using the method I described and you are currently using.

Again, good luck and keep us posted. Your solution may help someone else in the future.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:38 PM   #6

Maybe lower a cheap mirror you can throw away after down in there so you can see down the drain and get a glimpse of what you are working against?
Old 07-15-2018, 12:42 PM   #7

No, lol, you were right to assume I am new to travel trailers. I didn’t know a single thing about them 4 weeks ago. This site has helped a LOT and I’ve done a lot of research but still just scratching the surface. This problem sucks though and I’m out of my realm. Hopefully someone will have experience with our trailer or this issue. Thanks again.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:58 PM   #8
Just as confused as you

Just a suggestion. When you setup for camping make sure the side of the trailer with the dump valve is not higher than the opposite side.

I found online a floor plan for a 2010 Rockwood 8317 RKSS and the bathroom is on the right side of the TT and the dump valves on every RV I have see is on the left. I believe most toilets drop straight down into the top of the black tank. Though there are some that uses a pipe with an elbow. You should be able to see which setup you have by turning off the water and look down the toilet with a flashlight. If the toilet is connected to a pipe the bottom and sides immediately under the toilet will be rounded

I have seen many members say they put extra blocks under the side with the slide out so the RV sits level. In the cases of the toilet on the opposite side, I would think that is not a good idea as many black tanks have a flat or slightly sloped bottom. Another thing to keep in mind is many holding tanks don't have much support under the bottom, so with age the belly of the tank will start sagging.

Of course, this is my opinion but others may want to think about it.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote