Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2017, 07:19 AM   #1

Toilet Continues to flow & fill bowl.

I have a new problem now. When you flush toilet there is a very small stream that continues to fill the bowl. Its not suppose to do that. How do I stop it or fix it. I don't want to have to turn water off every time. It didn't use to do this. So Its got to be something simple. Can you help me out.

thanks
Tim Coltrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:48 AM   #2
clr

If the water continues to flow into the bowl there is only one probably cause that is a sticking or defective water valve. Look at the manual for the brand of toilet and you will see where the water valve is located on your unit. The water valve is toward the side or back of the unit and may be covered with a cover for looks. Changing the water valve is an easy process but you need to secure the proper valve for your brand of toilet. I would try seeing if you could unstick and lubricate the valve before replacing but that is just me.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:07 AM   #3

I had this problem last year and didn't realise it until we woke up one Sunday morning and found the black tank leaking out the bottom of the camper. We cured the problem by shutting off the water and stepping on the peddle and putting Vasoline on the edge of the valve and around the seal. Do this every month and problem was solved.
soapydonutzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:37 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

How much water?
A small amount is normal. (Maybe 1/2 cup)
If it overflows the bowl, then as mentioned, the valve is bad or has debris in it (common) or something is sticking or holding the valve open.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 10:33 AM   #5

Valve

I found valve behind toilet. I took it off and blew it out both ways with a small amount of pressure in hopes to get it cleaned. But to no prevail it continues to slow leak. I see I'll have to replace valve. I just wish I could go on One camping trip with this Brand New 2016 without having any problems. Its so discouraging. I'm suppose to relax not tense up all the time. Thanks for ya'lls help.

Tim Coltrain
Old 04-15-2017, 10:41 AM   #6

Just in case you haven't check this make sure the large dump valve in the toilet is actually closing all the way. Try pulling you foot off the operating valve and letting it slam shut sever times and see along with like others have said grease the seal.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:16 PM   #7

I would not do what Seadog suggested, those water valve casings are made of plastic and it does not take much force to crack one. I would suggest that you remove the valve and disassemble as much as possible and clean, most likely you have some trash in the valve causing it to stick slightly open. Been there and done so.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:19 PM   #8

x2 What SeaDog wrote. I was going to suggest that and also check to see if the actuator lever is releasing pressure off the valve. I think there should be a little bit of free play before the actuator makes contact with the valve.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 01:16 PM   #9

I just went through this with our Thetford Acqua Magic Style II toilet and it needed a new water supply valve. I'd get a valve kit and install the new one. Also make sure the dump valve is closing fully otherwise the water won't shut off. If it seems to be sticking a bit, try a little vegetable oil to lubricate the seal.

The valve in our Thetford sure seems to be a piece of minimal engineering and am not surprised it ended up leaking. The Thetford instructions to replace the valve are poor so if that's what you have, be prepared for some fun.

Leaking water inside can do serious damage to the point of a total loss and always makes me think of this video
Old 04-15-2017, 01:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
I just went through this with our Thetford Acqua Magic Style II toilet and it needed a new water supply valve. I'd get a valve kit and install the new one. Also make sure the dump valve is closing fully otherwise the water won't shut off. If it seems to be sticking a bit, try a little vegetable oil to lubricate the seal.

The valve in our Thetford sure seems to be a piece of minimal engineering and am not surprised it ended up leaking. The Thetford instructions to replace the valve are poor so if that's what you have, be prepared for some fun.

Leaking water inside can do serious damage to the point of a total loss and always makes me think of this video
Of course the moral of the story besides the leaking toilet is TURN OFF YOUR WATER PUMP OR CITY WATER BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE CAMPER...
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 02:01 PM   #11
Dahagen

My Thetford toilet sometimes overflowed, and at other times the water drained out of the toilet. I ordered both part kits and replaced the ball valve and the water valve. Still failed a short time later. Frustrated, I went to Camping World and bought a new toilet for $150. No more problems. I should say that I live the the motorhome 7 months of the year and the toilet had 3 full seasons on it.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 02:38 PM   #12

Toilet filling

I had a similar issue last year and with the help from a friend was able to 're-seat' the big O-ring/washer at the base of the toilet bowl. It had 'moved' a fraction off the 'inner ridge'' just below the toilet bowl. It was really easy to do. Just had to 'feel' around for the ridge and re-seat the edges of the rubber washer back into the ridge so the flap would once again close tightly and seal the bowl after flushing.

Good luck
MMMndp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Of course the moral of the story besides the leaking toilet is TURN OFF YOUR WATER PUMP OR CITY WATER BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE CAMPER...
That can't be emphasized enough!

We were at a CG last Sept. and the pressure started to drop for some unknown reason. The toilet started to fill up with water and when I looked at the gauge we have inside, it was reading only 10 psi. It was after dinner in the evening and we were very lucky to have been there when it started to happen and before the bowl overflowed everywhere. Turned out the temp. was unexpectedly dropping below freezing and the entire CG piping system was freezing up. I did a little checking on the internet and found that we're not the only ones this has happened to with a Thetford toilet. There must be something wrong with the design of the valve that would allow that to happen and would have disastrous results if not noticed. Low CG water pressure isn't all that rare so this could happen to anyone with a Thetford toilet like ours.

I installed a main shutoff valve under the kitchen sink so when we go out for any period of time we shut the water off. Only problem is remembering to use it.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
How much water?
A small amount is normal. (Maybe 1/2 cup)
If it overflows the bowl, then as mentioned, the valve is bad or has debris in it (common) or something is sticking or holding the valve open.
Our camping partner just put a new, top of the line porcelain oval toilet with solid wood lids in his rv. Pedal tight /new and too stiff for the return spring to fully shut it off. First 8 or 10 days had to "help" it by lifting the pedal with your toe to fully shut the water off. Then finally some lube on the mechanism.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:01 AM   #15

Leak

I'm paying a close attention to the toilet. I did take it off yesterday and attempt to clean valve by blowing trash out of it and working plunger several times. I re installed and it stopped. Ok, I'm happy that it stopped but the fear of worrying that it will try to start leaking again. My plan tomorrow it order a new one and replace the old one just because. I also from a pressure point keep a pressure valve in place to maintain the 40 to 45 psi on all lines.

Again I have to say thanks to all of you that responded.

Tim Coltrain Camping at Easter

Happy Easter to All
Old 04-16-2017, 05:40 PM   #16

I have a brand new Vibe just brought it home and put water to it for the first time. The valve on the back of the toilet s leaking where the valve mounts to the toilet. No leaks on either hose going to the valve. It looks like 2 clips in the valve insert themselves into slots in the toilet and looks very delicate and easy to break them. I shut the water off to stop the leak. Since we only had it 1 day it is going back to the dealer.
vmfa is offline   Reply With Quote