Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2012, 08:24 PM   #1

toilet dumping into grey wate tank

Just purchased new 2010 rockwood mini lite from a bk dealer. After having a different dealer check out the unit, he tells me that the toilet is dumping into the grey water tank and it was plumbed from the factory like that. Also all the wires for the tank monitors were cut under the trailer . this unit is brand new nothing was put together yet with plastic still on the bed . Was it unhappy soon to be laid off workers or bad engineering?
chipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:10 PM   #2

Did they physically verify that or are they just going by the monitors? Mine were reading backward when I got it new. The black monitor registered the grey tank level and vice versa. There were some other issues and they ended up having to replace the monitor panel. Don't let this surprise you. I think quality control issues in the RV industry have become the norm rather than the exception.
2008 F-250 Lariat 4x4 6.4 Powerstroke
Firestone Ride-Rites w/cab control
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:41 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

If the unit is home, open the gray water valve and pipe to to the yard. Then have someone go and flush the toilet and see if water comes out, with the gray valve open. If not, then open the black valve, and see if water comes out. That is the only way to know for sure. I hope the tanks are empty before you perform this test.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
If the unit is home, open the gray water valve and pipe to to the yard. Then have someone go and flush the toilet and see if water comes out, with the gray valve open. If not, then open the black valve, and see if water comes out. That is the only way to know for sure. I hope the tanks are empty before you perform this test.
If not, it would make a great "remember when we first got the TT..." story, LOL!
Rsgtivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:32 AM   #5

plumbed into grey tank

The rv mech was under the trailer and found the head pipe go directy into the grey tank . The wires were cut to the monitors but 100% verified that the toilet is going to the grey tank. I`m going to check myself to see if my plumber can swap things around
Old 06-23-2012, 05:06 AM   #6

Is'nt the toilet generally mounted right over the black tank so the waste just falls in? I thought that was why the wands work so well. Didn't think they were piped to the tank. Can't see on ours how it gets to the tank, so I am curious now.
Rsgtivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:42 AM   #7

Would improper plumbing (waste going into the gray tank) cause problems with odors in the camper? I am under the impression that only the black water tank has a vent stack. In any case it seems odd that the factory plumbing would have been done this way, as well as the wiring being clipped.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:57 AM   #8

My Mini Lite has two vents on the roof and from best I can tell one goes to the black tank and one to the gray tank.

2013 Rockwood Mini Lite 2306 w/Murphy Bed
2004 F-150 4.6 Liter 4x2 Factory Tow Package
2012 - 21 Nights Camped
2013 - 21 Nights Camped
wolfpack21643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:43 AM   #9

I've owned them with a single stack but vents were Y connected(inside the interior wall ) in route to the roof. Without a vent, the tank would collapse when drained. Odors wouldn't change, but would be nasty if the common practice of forgetting the gray tank level resuls in common shower basin filling, I believe this one has two, there there just not sure how thy are plumbed. NO dwgs from FR.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:58 AM   #10

One way to check this out. The gray tank(s) will have a smaller drain line, The black tank will have a larger 4 inch diameter drain pipe. I really suspect that these people telling you this are looking at the lables on the handles instead of actually verifying the situation. If this is really the case, let the dealer deal with it, since this is a brand new trailer (yea I know 2010) but still brand new and under the 1 year warranty.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:07 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
I've owned them with a single stack but vents were Y connected(inside the interior wall ) in route to the roof. Without a vent, the tank would collapse when drained. Odors wouldn't change, but would be nasty if the common practice of forgetting the gray tank level resuls in common shower basin filling, I believe this one has two, there there just not sure how thy are plumbed. NO dwgs from FR.
What does "NO dwgs" mean?

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier

What does "NO dwgs" mean?
Blueprint authors/readers often shorten drawings to dwgs in text notes
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:13 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipshot View Post
Just purchased new 2010 rockwood mini lite from a bk dealer.
What is a bk dealer ?? If the unit is brand new, then you need to take the trailer back to the dealer and let Forest River fix the problems under warranty.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:20 PM   #14

tank issues

The dealer went belly up and the bank and a motorcycle dealer tryed running the store under a different name ,but shut down the operation,moved the inventory to the mc dealers lot and is selling the units off from there. Another rv dealing went thru the entire trailer and spent 2 days checking everything out He was physically under the trailer and found the cut wires and saw how the plumbing was run. I will pull the panel off the base of the shower and see if it has a trap installed and check the bathroom sink for one too. Both the shower and sink have stoppers that fit the drain so maybe I don`t have much of a issue except that the tank is going to fill up in a hurry and the grey tank which has only the kitchen sink hooked up to it might last all summer. More to come after checking these things out
Old 06-24-2012, 06:31 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

If the dealer went bankrupt, call Forest River and get them to refer you to another dealer to get the problem corrected.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:18 AM   #16

Not sure about your specific model, but I did have a TT which recycled grey water into use as toilet flushing water.......in other words, (not saying the guy knew or didnt know when he was looking) but this might be the case where he sees a grey line to the toilet....just a thought........that was the set up on my previous 28ft Springdale TT

Note: not sure on the mechanic that looked at it, was he/she was an RV one or a Motorcycle mechanic........
Old 06-25-2012, 07:36 PM   #17
Villa Estate 392FLFB

what MTNGUY said. CALL FR!!
Old 07-03-2012, 09:52 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipshot View Post
Just purchased new 2010 rockwood mini lite from a bk dealer. After having a different dealer check out the unit, he tells me that the toilet is dumping into the grey water tank and it was plumbed from the factory like that. Also all the wires for the tank monitors were cut under the trailer . this unit is brand new nothing was put together yet with plastic still on the bed . Was it unhappy soon to be laid off workers or bad engineering?
Was probably a factory worker having a bad day or hacked off at his boss or a new-hire. Since you've already accepted delivery, you need to have the dealer you took it contact FR to see how they want to proceed under warranty coverage. In other words, have the dealer handle it.

Be aware though that since this is a 2010 and purchased from a bankrupt dealer there is a distinct possiblity it doesn't have a warranty.
RonD430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:03 AM   #19

Question Holding Tanks...What Goes Where?

I have a 2003 Sunseeker. During the last camping trip, the black water began backing up into the toilet because the tank was full (of course the guage only indicated 2/3 full). Before I could go outside and open the valve to drain into the park's sewage system, I ran some water into the bathroom sink. The sink backed up and wouldn't drain until I emptied the black water tank. The grey water and galley tanks were not full when the black water backed up (They may each have been 1/4 full).

Does this indicate that the bathroom sink empties into the black water tank? If so, since the kitchen sink empties into the galley tank, the shower must be the only water draining into the grey water tank. I am totally confused...
Sobeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:50 AM   #20
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsgtivr6 View Post
Is'nt the toilet generally mounted right over the black tank so the waste just falls in? I thought that was why the wands work so well. Didn't think they were piped to the tank. Can't see on ours how it gets to the tank, so I am curious now.
In my floorplan the John has 2 45 degrees elbows in the drop into the black tank.

The wand is still long enough to get into the tank, though.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote