Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2020, 12:28 PM   #1

Toilet fills an inch or two after flushing (then stops)

All,

In my last TT, when you flushed the toilet, the water turned off as soon as you released the foot pedal. I kept telling my kids (to no avail) to put an inch of water in afterwards, just to help seal it from gas rising through.

Traded for a new 5er, and kept doing that out of habit. When I would go the next time, I noticed that the 1" I put in was now 2-3". I ended up flushing again, walking away, and within a few minutes there was 1" or so in there again. When I winterized, you could really see the pink stuff slowly dribble out of holes around the rim, even after releasing the pedal.

When I first noticed this, I was concerned the toilet would slowly fill and overflow. But that doesn't happen, thankfully! I guess this is just something that is happening as pressure is relieved in the lines. Has anyone else experienced this?
jj95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 12:33 PM   #2

Might help to quote your make and model of toilet.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 12:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Might help to quote your make and model of toilet.
Ahhh, something you'd only hear/read on an RV forum . . .
(Just can't imagine that line ever coming up at a cocktail party or Thanksgiving dinner!!)
Old 03-03-2020, 12:51 PM   #4

Our toilet does that also, and has from day one. And if I'm not mistaken, our previous RV did that also. Don't know what toilets they are/were, just that they are porcelain.
Had this RV for 8 years and the toilet doing this has never caused problems. I figure it's just how the valve works, never gave it much thought.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 01:41 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj95 View Post
... I ended up flushing again, walking away, and within a few minutes there was 1" or so in there again. When I winterized, you could really see the pink stuff slowly dribble out of holes around the rim, even after releasing the pedal.... Has anyone else experienced this?
There are some toilets that have a caution about that very thing in the manual. It states that the water could flow for several seconds to a minute after the valve is released. Ours does it a little bit but only a few seconds.
Old 03-03-2020, 01:49 PM   #6

Toilet fills an inch or two after flush

We have a Dometic Model 310. When out last summer we noticed this also and I ordered a new fill valve for the toilet and replaced it. It still occurred, so I called Dometic and was told residual water in the toilet rim may continue to slowly run into the toilet for up to 20 minutes (although not under pressure) and this is noted somewhere in the manual.
Tuckers Truckers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 02:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckers Truckers View Post
We have a Dometic Model 310. When out last summer we noticed this also and I ordered a new fill valve for the toilet and replaced it. It still occurred, so I called Dometic and was told residual water in the toilet rim may continue to slowly run into the toilet for up to 20 minutes (although not under pressure) and this is noted somewhere in the manual.
Good to hear, thanks! It sounds like I need to read the manual! Not even sure what model it is either, other than porcelain and round!
jj95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 02:24 PM   #8

If yo have a Dometic toilet they slowly add a few inches after flush is complete.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 02:54 PM   #9

Probably a good thing

An inch or two is probably a good thing for keeping the flush seal on the toilet, clean and in good shape.
Directions for winterizing also instruct to add a little antifreeze to the black tank to keep the drain seal and drain pipe from freezing.
It also states to add a splash to bowl to protect the seal.
Utah Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 03:05 PM   #10

I have a Dometic 310 in my Dynamax Series 4. The toilet does this also, but not all the time. Not sure but it seems to vary by how quickly I release the foot pedal. If quickly released it usually does not flow after the flush.
Oldnapapartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 03:06 PM   #11

I had to replace my dometic toilet and I did read the manual. It runs for 30 seconds after you flush.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 05:06 PM   #12

Quote:
All,

In my last TT, when you flushed the toilet, the water turned off as soon as you released the foot pedal. I kept telling my kids (to no avail) to put an inch of water in afterwards, just to help seal it from gas rising through.

Traded for a new 5er, and kept doing that out of habit. When I would go the next time, I noticed that the 1" I put in was now 2-3". I ended up flushing again, walking away, and within a few minutes there was 1" or so in there again. When I winterized, you could really see the pink stuff slowly dribble out of holes around the rim, even after releasing the pedal.

When I first noticed this, I was concerned the toilet would slowly fill and overflow. But that doesn't happen, thankfully! I guess this is just something that is happening as pressure is relieved in the lines. Has anyone else experienced this?

That is normal for newer model toilets. You no longer have to add water manually after flushing. The source of the water is that left in the upper area of the housing after the valve closes. Intentional by design.
TandSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 05:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
I had to replace my dometic toilet and I did read the manual. It runs for 30 seconds after you flush.

Strange that "required" a new toilet. A valve change would have fixed the problem. Available on Amazon for under $20, and easy to do for anyone who can operate a screwdriver.
TandSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 05:18 PM   #14

For most toilets the water that continues to flow into the bowl after foot lever is released is merely that water that is between outlet in bowl and the valve. This has always been present in every RV I've owned or rented and the amount varies from model of toilet to model.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 05:55 PM   #15

After Flow is based on several factors Size of Rim Jet holes /PSI of supply water/Amount of Scale/Crud in Reservoir Rim area! Porcelain toilets are more prone to this because of the Hand applied Glaze! Youroo!!
Old 03-03-2020, 06:26 PM   #16

Normal.
Old 03-03-2020, 11:17 PM   #17

We just recently changed from a Dometic 310 to a 320 to get the elongated seat.

The 310 put in about 1" of water, the 320, about 2" of water. Both normal.
Old 03-04-2020, 12:27 AM   #18

Normal. Think about it. You flush, water runs from the rim down the sides of the tank and down the drain. You release the flush valve, the water turns off but the water that was in the flush rim and still running down the bowl sides does not stop flowing just because you release the flush valve. It continues until there is an inch or two in the bowl and no residual water in the rim.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:05 AM   #19

Toilet

Quote:
All,

It's designed to do this to help prevent odors from getting past the rubber seal.
xomkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:04 PM   #20

I woulder if elevation has anything to do with it?
Joe M. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flush