Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2021, 05:50 PM   #1

Toilet Issue

I would like to share a episode with everyone I had with my toilet. The missus and I went on a trip the last for the season and when we got to our destination, got everything parked and starting to hook up the trailer to a full service site, after the power, water, sewer was hooked up, turned on the water to the trailer, next thing I know there is yelling from the trailer; "Shut the water off, Shut the water off!!!" so I quickly shut it off and run to the inside of the trailer. I asked what's the problem? the missus said the toilet was overflowing while I was putting things away. So she got clean towels and started wiping up the floor. Thought this was strange, ok was the thought what caused this. So we tried the pump and I'll be damned the toilet was over flowing again. What the heck is the matter, tried again and sure enough toilet fills up with water. Here it was the damn water valve on the toilet that let go. So we had no water to the trailer, no shower, no sink and of course no toilet.
Here its a Sunday, nobody open so we had to wait till Monday morning. We are about and hour outside east of Edson, Alberta Canada, we called Monday morning they said we should have some one out to you that day to fix the issue. So we waited later that day another call from the dealer service sorry we can't make it out today got a big job, but we will be out Tuesday for sure. We had no choice and said sure. Tuesday they showed up fixed the toilet water valve. Talk about being lucky it was not worse inside the trailer than what it was. So for two days we had to use bottled water to wash and cook, plus doing the dishes. When spring rolls around we are going to have a shut off valve to the toilet installed so that if it happens again the water to the toilet is shut off and we can use the other facilities in the trailer, dump water into the toilet until that valve gets fixed. Moral of the story never go away until that water valve is shut off to the trailer and also making sure you don't have the water pump in the trailer on also, other wise you will come back to the trailer with a huge mess and allot of water damage inside which could be costly in repairs. Thank goodness the missus was inside when this happened and we will get a shut off valve to the toilet installed
ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 07:06 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Sticking/defective toilet valves are more common than you'd think. Years ago my Aunt & Uncle went away for the day only to return with water flowing out the door on return. There was about 4" of water on the floor when they opened the door. We learned right then and there to ALWAYS turn off the water supply when leaving. There have been plenty of similar stories on R/V forums through the years.

BTW... the threads on the toilet valve are common pipe threads. A 10 cent plug would have sealed on the tapered washer inside the nut that threads onto the toilet valve and allowed you to have water in other parts of your R/V until you got it replaced.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote