Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2017, 09:23 PM   #1

Toilet leaks from the top?

Took the 5er out for the first time this year. Bought it at the end of last year. It's my first one. A nice 2001 forest river rockwood ultralight 2520. First time springerizing anything. After I forgot to close spigots (plural), not having the right size wrench to tighten the hose on the water pump, and not filling up with water before I backed in my spot (that went well superizingly well). I got to Ace for a small pair of channel locks, got the pump working correctly, then the kitchen sink hot water faucet not seated and needed and adjustment.

Now with everything in place, and water siphoned in the fresh tank, the pump wouldn't shut off. Knowing that means a leak, I looked around and saw water coming out of the top of the toilet. Not the seat, but between the top assembly and the main part. I'm good at trouble shooting, but this one has me stumped. Does anyone here have any ideas on what may be the issue? How do I fix it?

Thanks in advance for the help.
DrTFlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:05 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. If you are saying from the top of the bowl then I think it is bowl flush valve stuck open. take your hand and cycle the flush valve several times and see if this doesn't solve the problem if not shut off the water and pull the flush valve apart and service it
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 04:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. If you are saying from the top of the bowl then I think it is bowl flush valve stuck open. take your hand and cycle the flush valve several times and see if this doesn't solve the problem if not shut off the water and pull the flush valve apart and service it
Thanks for the reply. Tried your suggestion, but no dice. Guess I'll take out the terlet and check the valve. Not sure what to expect, guess I'll know it when I see it?
Old 03-21-2017, 07:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTFlo View Post
Took the 5er out for the first time this year. Bought it at the end of last year. It's my first one. A nice 2001 forest river rockwood ultralight 2520. First time springerizing anything. After I forgot to close spigots (plural), not having the right size wrench to tighten the hose on the water pump, and not filling up with water before I backed in my spot (that went well superizingly well). I got to Ace for a small pair of channel locks, got the pump working correctly, then the kitchen sink hot water faucet not seated and needed and adjustment.

Now with everything in place, and water siphoned in the fresh tank, the pump wouldn't shut off. Knowing that means a leak, I looked around and saw water coming out of the top of the toilet. Not the seat, but between the top assembly and the main part. I'm good at trouble shooting, but this one has me stumped. Does anyone here have any ideas on what may be the issue? How do I fix it?

Thanks in advance for the help.
If you remove the seat, you will see a valve right under the cover at the rear of the seat. This is called a vacuum breaker & they have been known to leak. Available @ most RV supply stores & pretty easy fix. I would check this before removing toilet. Good luck.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa GLS View Post
If you remove the seat, you will see a valve right under the cover at the rear of the seat. This is called a vacuum breaker & they have been known to leak. Available @ most RV supply stores & pretty easy fix. I would check this before removing toilet. Good luck.
Will do. Thanks.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Will do. Thanks.
If your RV is 16 years old, you might want to just replace the toilet. It's easy, and they aren't expensive. Two bolts on the floor and water hose. I'm sure there are videos online that show how.

Tom D 2015 REV RB
Tom-n-Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-n-Dale View Post
If your RV is 16 years old, you might want to just replace the toilet. It's easy, and they aren't expensive. Two bolts on the floor and water hose. I'm sure there are videos online that show how.

Tom D 2015 REV RB
We're considering that option. It looks like most new ones are foot flush, is there a reason? Is it better on water consumption that way?
Old 03-22-2017, 01:21 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
We're considering that option. It looks like most new ones are foot flush, is there a reason? Is it better on water consumption that way?
No just easier to use. Don't have to bend over and have your face over the full bowl.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:55 PM   #9
Dahagen

I have a Thetford foot=flush toilet and this winter sometimes water would not stay in the bowl, and at other times the water would not shut off and sloooowly filled the bowl and then ran over. replaced the water valve and the seal and the ball valve and never really solved the problem. So I just replaced the toilet....problems solved. I guess at some point RV toilets are not worth trying to repair. I guessed I had some 5000 flushes on it.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahagen View Post
I have a Thetford foot=flush toilet and this winter sometimes water would not stay in the bowl, and at other times the water would not shut off and sloooowly filled the bowl and then ran over. replaced the water valve and the seal and the ball valve and never really solved the problem. So I just replaced the toilet....problems solved. I guess at some point RV toilets are not worth trying to repair. I guessed I had some 5000 flushes on it.
I think we are going to do that. Are replacements universal?
Old 03-23-2017, 11:49 AM   #11
Dahagen

I got my exact replacement from Camping World. They have a good selection of toilets. I priced them on Amazon and CW's sale price was within $2.00. Except for the water inlet, almost all seem to have the same two bolt floor mount setup.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak