Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2021, 02:52 PM   #1
2018 Rockwood 8324BS

toilet water supply

During setup last week on our first trip since March, the toilet flush valve worked before water from the pedestal was connected (using residual water and pressure from the last trip).
After hooking up water supply from the pedestal, the flush valve only flowed the slightest trickle of water to the toilet.
Is there a check valve in the supply line to the toilet that could have stuck closed during that activity?
The only other thing that makes any sense is the valve failed and will have to be replaced.
Any opinions appreciated.

Boyd
2020 F250 Diesel
RkwdNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 03:00 PM   #2

There is a screen filter at the flush valve that could be filled with crud
Kcoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 03:21 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

There is no check valve in the toilet line but there is a screen in the toilet valve if you have a Dometic toilet.

I don't see where you mentioned the toilet make/model anywhere in your post. When asking questions about an appliance or accessories, it is always best to include as much information as possible.

Forest river uses different makes/models of toilets, refrigerators, ovens, vent fans, etc., across all their different brands of R/Vs. Not all FR units are the same, even within the same division.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	toilet valve.png
Views:	54
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	261184   Click image for larger version

Name:	toilet valve screen.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	261185  
Attached Images

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 04:01 PM   #4
2018 Rockwood 8324BS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
There is no check valve in the toilet line but there is a screen in the toilet valve if you have a Dometic toilet.

I don't see where you mentioned the toilet make/model anywhere in your post. When asking questions about an appliance or accessories, it is always best to include as much information as possible.

Forest river uses different makes/models of toilets, refrigerators, ovens, vent fans, etc., across all their different brands of R/Vs. Not all FR units are the same, even within the same division.
I do have a Dometic toilet - will check model tomorrow morning when it is not "hotter than Hades" in there.

Thanks
Boyd
2020 F250 Diesel
Old 08-17-2021, 04:08 PM   #5
2018 Rockwood 8324BS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RkwdNewbie View Post
I do have a Dometic toilet - will check model tomorrow morning when it is not "hotter than Hades" in there.

Thanks
Boyd
I kinda discounted crud since I figured that the primary source of crud would be the anode rod in the water heater, but I guess that the pressurization system could back water from the water heater into the toilet supply line when I flushed the toilet before turning on the shore water supply, depending on the plumbing arrangement.
That might solve the mystery.

Thanks again all
2020 F250 Diesel
Old 08-17-2021, 06:26 PM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by RkwdNewbie View Post
I kinda discounted crud since I figured that the primary source of crud would be the anode rod in the water heater, but I guess that the pressurization system could back water from the water heater into the toilet supply line when I flushed the toilet before turning on the shore water supply, depending on the plumbing arrangement.

That might solve the mystery.

Thanks again all
If you regularly use the low point drains to drain your system between uses, it is imperative to put the water heater in bypass BEFORE opening the low point drains.

You are absolutely correct the crud comes from the water heater. The cold water inlet/dip tube will suck crud from the bottom of the tank when the low point drains are opened. Not all the crud makes its way out the drains. Some of it remains in the plumbing and when the system is repressurized, it makes its way to the toilet valve and the aerators on the sinks.

Below is a photo of a Suburban water heater dip tube (taken through the anode bung) showing just how close to the bottom tank it really is.Click image for larger version

Name:	suburban%20water%20heater%20mixing%20tube.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	261206

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water supply