Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2020, 09:43 AM   #81

Well, it has been a week now. Enquiring minds want to know....has the issue been diagnosed and solved yet? As described by the OP, it seems odd. Because I had a friend that had bought a new motorhome that had two black tanks...and didn't know he had two separate black tank valves to dump...that was my first thought. But it seems unlikely in this instance. Maybe during the tank cleaning process, something was shoved up into the pipe entrance from the commode to the tank, which is now blocking the drain.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 09:45 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowrideHD View Post
Well, it has been a week now. Enquiring minds want to know....has the issue been diagnosed and solved yet? As described by the OP, it seems odd. Because I had a friend that had bought a new motorhome that had two black tanks...and didn't know he had two separate black tank valves to dump...that was my first thought. But it seems unlikely in this instance. Maybe during the tank cleaning process, something was shoved up into the pipe entrance from the commode to the tank, which is now blocking the drain.

Nope, the plumber doesn’t come until the 29th as they mentioned in a previous post.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:53 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by HESN22 View Post
We know its blocked, just trying to figure out a way to ascertain where blockage is ... have run snake down, at least 6' each time, several times ... and no, she is not pulling the wrong lever ... but thank you

Snakes do not work well in black tanks . go right past any obstruction . i have found a 1/2 pex tubing about 5' long will do the job of breaking up the blockage .

also shutting the black tank valve while flushing for 20 seconds will do nothing . either get the tank full and dump or leave valve open and allow it to do it's job of flushing for 20 mins . Those that close the valve and allow the tank flush to fill tank and then empty do not get the tank as clean as they think . leaving the valve open and allowing the flush to work does much better . sometimes i will let mine go for 1/2 hr . tank is always cleaned after that . Now in case you forget and get distracted you won't have to worry about over filling tank . I've done that took off to the store gone for a couple hrs come back and see i was flushing tank but no issues because valve was open
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 10:10 AM   #84
Another adventure awaits!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
For $20 you can get a "endoscope" that attaches to your cell phone. They are waterproof and have a light on the camera end. Most are stiff enough to snake down or you can tape it to the plumbing snake. At least you can see what's going on if the water is reasonably clear. Might be worth the $20 investment even if you toss it after snaking it down the black water and tank. On Amazon, Ebay, etc....

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=android+e...b_sb_ss_i_1_12
Thank you ... friend ordered a snake with camera, the other day, for her husband ... LOL
HESN22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:48 PM   #85

Was water coming into the toilet when you stepped on the the flush lever? You said the toilet wouldn’t drain through the trap. If somehow you Have a toilet with a trap it will need water coming in to flush. You can test by pouring a bucket of water into the toilet, if it rises then it is blocked.
Joedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:25 PM   #86

3greywolves

Try a shop vac on the drain outlet outside of the camper with an adaptor or reducer coupling to vac hose. Could be a little messy so be prepared. May be a clogged vent pipe.
3greywolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:05 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowrideHD View Post
Nope unfortunately ... a myriad of things have been tried, incl suggestions from this forum, with no success ... tech is supposed to be here Tuesday so fingers crossed ...

Once solution is found will post ...
Old 09-27-2020, 11:08 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedown View Post
Was water coming into the toilet when you stepped on the the flush lever? You said the toilet wouldn’t drain through the trap. If somehow you Have a toilet with a trap it will need water coming in to flush. You can test by pouring a bucket of water into the toilet, if it rises then it is blocked.
Yes water is coming in when pedal stepped on ... water, in toilet bowl, will not drain when trap is opened by stepping on foot pedal. No need to pour water in toilet bowl as it is full, since it won't drain, as I said in original post. Thank you though.
Old 09-28-2020, 08:35 AM   #89
Site Team

I've never wanted to hear a resolution to a problem on this board more than I do this one. The suspense is killing me.

Do the owners have kids? The only thing I can think of that would explain all this is that something got dropped down the toilet and is wedged in tight in the pipe between the toilet and the black tank. It won't move forward anymore which is why the snake doesn't work and it won't allow any water to pass which is why the tank is empty but the toilet bowl is still full.

If that's not it then I'm dying to hear what the technician finds.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:39 AM   #90

I agree
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:40 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
I've never wanted to hear a resolution to a problem on this board more than I do this one. The suspense is killing me.

Do the owners have kids? The only thing I can think of that would explain all this is that something got dropped down the toilet and is wedged in tight in the pipe between the toilet and the black tank. It won't move forward anymore which is why the snake doesn't work and it won't allow any water to pass which is why the tank is empty but the toilet bowl is still full.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1145.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	240122
Old 09-28-2020, 11:29 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post

Nope no young kids ... but that is exactly what I think happened ... they had company about a month ago and who knows what happens with company ... people do not understand the complexities of RV black tank systems ... whatever it is that is causing the blockage, finally got dislodged when owner was cleaning the black tank last week, and is now at the bottom of the pipe, causing the blockage ...
So hoping technician actually shows up tomorrow and can actually fix the issue ... if not, not sure what owners will do ... season is quickly coming to an end.
When I find out, will post ...
Old 09-28-2020, 11:50 AM   #93

Quote:
Nope no young kids ... but that is exactly what I think happened ... they had company about a month ago and who knows what happens with company ... people do not understand the complexities of RV black tank systems ... whatever it is that is causing the blockage, finally got dislodged when owner was cleaning the black tank last week, and is now at the bottom of the pipe, causing the blockage ...
So hoping technician actually shows up tomorrow and can actually fix the issue ... if not, not sure what owners will do ... season is quickly coming to an end.
When I find out, will post ...
Guests can often cause "potty problems".

Back in my boating days we had a sign in the "head". Said "Nothing goes in the bowl unless it was eaten first".

At the time everything had to be pumped out through small 1" diameter piping. Clearing a clog often involved taking things apart.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:41 PM   #94

What was the outcome?
Shadow Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:59 PM   #95
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Stalker View Post
What was the outcome?
Technician is expected tomorrow as posted above.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 04:15 AM   #96

Its finally the 29th y'all!!! Its the day we finally get answers!!
kfd82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:06 AM   #97

Almost a 100 responders, and today, hopefully we get answers. [emoji848]
Old 09-29-2020, 02:04 PM   #98

Toilet wont drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapex View Post
Almost a 100 responders, and today, hopefully we get answers. [emoji848]
Hello all ... first of all, want to say thank you to all who responded ... giving sage advice and pointers

Good news ... problem has been fixed ... Yay!

Tech was here ... black tank was empty as I stated ... blockage was in 3rd length of pipe just before it connects to black tank ... pipe goes down from toilet, then 45 degree connector ... another length of pipe and then another 45 degree angle connecting to pipe that opens up into black tank. Guess when friend was snaking the pipe, only went to end of 2nd length, that is why blockage was not seen ... tech says it's an unusual manufactuer's set up ...

To remove blockage, tech filled black tank with water, allowed it to sit for a bit to "soften" blockage ... emptied tank ... then put snake down toilet again til it once again hit blockage ... manipulated snake and it caught on something, dislodged blockage (miraculously - lady luck) and whoosh ... away it went into black tank. Tech said luck was definitely shining down today ... ... a fix could have been a lot more complicated and a lot messier ...

Tech also stated that the most effective way, when flushing toilet, is to ... a. Step on pedal lightly until toilet bowl almost fills with water, then step down on pedal allowing toilet to open ... tis the force of the larger amount of water going down the pipe that will assist in alleviating a chance of a blockage. Tech also stated that only RV toilet paper or 1 ply be used.

And that folks is the end of the "Toilet will not drain" saga.

Thanks again ... stay safe ... stay healthy ...

🤗🙋*♀️
Old 09-29-2020, 02:09 PM   #99

Quote:
Hello all ... first of all, want to say thank you to all who responded ... giving sage advice and pointers

Good news ... problem has been fixed ... Yay!

Tech was here ... black tank was empty as I stated ... blockage was in 3rd length of pipe just before it connects to black tank ... pipe goes down from toilet, then 45 degree connector ... another length of pipe and then another 45 degree angle connecting to pipe that opens up into black tank. Guess when friend was snaking the pipe, only went to end of 2nd length, that is why blockage was not seen ... tech says it's an unusual manufactuer's set up ...

To remove blockage, tech filled black tank with water, allowed it to sit for a bit to "soften" blockage ... emptied tank ... then put snake down toilet again til it once again hit blockage ... manipulated snake and it caught on something, dislodged blockage (miraculously - lady luck) and whoosh ... away it went into black tank. Tech said luck was definitely shining down today ... ... a fix could have been a lot more complicated and a lot messier ...

Tech also stated that the most effective way, when flushing toilet, is to ... a. Step on pedal lightly until toilet bowl almost fills with water, then step down on pedal allowing toilet to open ... tis the force of the larger amount of water going down the pipe that will assist in alleviating a chance of a blockage. Tech also stated that only RV toilet paper or 1 ply be used.

And that folks is the end of the "Toilet will not drain" saga.

Thanks again ... stay safe ... stay healthy ...

🤗🙋*♀️
Glad you got it fix. But if you went up in from the outside you should had got to the clog .Happy camping and be safe
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 02:14 PM   #100
Site Team

Quote:
pipe goes down from toilet, then 45 degree connector ... another length of pipe and then another 45 degree angle connecting to pipe that opens up into black tank. Guess when friend was snaking the pipe, only went to end of 2nd length, that is why blockage was not seen ... tech says it's an unusual manufactuer's set up
And now we all know why it's unusual. The fewer bends from the toilet to the holding tank, the better.

Good to hear the problem has finally been solved.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain