RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-09-2020, 08:45 AM   #1

Too many black tank levers?

Our camper (see signature) has 3 waste levers...1 grey lever on the righ and 2 black levers on the left...but i only have 1 bathroom. Since our underbelly is sealed and i don't have any clear fittings for my septic hose setup, i have yet to figure out if both levers truely empty a black tank. I just usually pull both blacks and then the grey. But i need to get this figured out.

I think the grey lever on the right goes to the kitchen sink as that pipe that hangs outside heads in that direction. The 2 black levers and pipes go towards the bathroom. I suspect one of the levers should be grey as the only thing in our single bathroom rig generating black water is the toilet. The shower and sink should go to a grey water.

Am i right in my thinking?

Since i can't see inside the underbelly, nor do i have clear fittings, can anyone say with certainty which lever should be grey vs. black?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3406[1].jpg
Views:	617
Size:	434.7 KB
ID:	242717  

SOLD-2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 w/ Max Trailering Package
willie1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:01 AM   #2
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I see 2 levers that are black and it could be they installed the wrong handle on one of the gray tank, and one grey. One grey is for bath room water and the other for kitchen sink. I would say the far left black lever is for the waste tank. Black lever is for waste tank for bathroom stool. You can check by running water down bathroom sink and also kitchen sink. pull the gray one first then go to the next one to it that is black put a bucket under just in case but I'm betting its gray water pull lever. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:07 AM   #3

Where do you see 2 grey?? Both levers on the left in my picture are black.

Old 11-09-2020, 09:54 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie1280 View Post
Our camper (see signature) has 3 waste levers...1 grey lever on the righ and 2 black levers on the left...but i only have 1 bathroom. Since our underbelly is sealed and i don't have any clear fittings for my septic hose setup, i have yet to figure out if both levers truely empty a black tank. I just usually pull both blacks and then the grey. But i need to get this figured out.

I think the grey lever on the right goes to the kitchen sink as that pipe that hangs outside heads in that direction. The 2 black levers and pipes go towards the bathroom. I suspect one of the levers should be grey as the only thing in our single bathroom rig generating black water is the toilet. The shower and sink should go to a grey water.

Since i can't see inside the underbelly, nor do i have clear fittings, can anyone say with certainty which lever should be grey vs. black?
Get some clear fittings. Then after you completely drain all your tanks, try each sink,toliet, shower, etc... one at a time and pull each handle one at a time after using each one. That will tell you what goes where.

If you want to get really fancy, you could use food coloring to see what goes where easier.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:01 AM   #5

Just judging from pipe size and placards the right is grey water and the 2 left are black water. Are both of the left valves the same size?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 11:52 AM   #6

I can't see the valves for the 2 levers on the left. The rods go into the underbelly. I just can't fathom i would have 2 black lines coming from 1 bathroom.

Old 11-09-2020, 12:00 PM   #7

Quote:
I can't see the valves for the 2 levers on the left. The rods go into the underbelly. I just can't fathom i would have 2 black lines coming from 1 bathroom.
I would say the one of far left is black the other 2 are grey . can't always go by handle color .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 12:45 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
I would say the one of far left is black the other 2 are grey . can't always go by handle color .

Yep... canít always go by handle colors.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5015.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	417.4 KB
ID:	242724

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 = 108; booked = 32
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 01:05 PM   #9

@Mr. Dan at least yours are labeled though!! They couldn't spare another sticker to confirm the 2nd black handle (middle one) wasn't another sewage lever?!

Old 11-09-2020, 01:33 PM   #10

A clear 45 degree coupling, for installation on outlet ahead of dump hose, is $9 on Amazon. After first dump with clear elbow you'll see which is which. After that the elbow is great to see when all the "whatever" is drained from the tanks. Well worth the $9

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 01:47 PM   #11

I have 3 tanks , 2 grey 1- black, all tee handles are black, no labels.
Many trailers have 1- grey tank for the bathroom, 1- grey tank for the kitchen and 1- black tank for the toilet. Almost all trailers that have a second bathroom have 2- black tanks.
My washer drain pipe does not go into my tanks, itís piped directly to the drain valve.
Old 11-09-2020, 02:00 PM   #12
CGK
Camping with Labs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
This would be my guess, as well....but in my case it is just a guess. I agree with those who recommend a clear fitting that will let you confirm which valve controls what. Be particularly careful to do your testing after all the tanks have been dumped, so you are only dealing with the water you add for testing purposes. And good luck!
CGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 02:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Get some clear fittings. Then after you completely drain all your tanks, try each sink,toliet, shower, etc... one at a time and pull each handle one at a time after using each one. That will tell you what goes where.

If you want to get really fancy, you could use food coloring to see what goes where easier.
X2, X3!!!
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 02:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOODMAN View Post
X2, X3!!!
I haven't seen a food coloring in the color Brown. I believe the contents of the Black Water tank already that color so no need to add anything to the toilet.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 11-09-2020, 02:29 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I haven't seen a food coloring in the color Brown. I believe the contents of the Black Water tank already that color so no need to add anything to the toilet.
My first suggestion was the drain the tanks completely. So in theory, it should be fairly clean water coming out of each tank...
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 02:37 PM   #16

Quote:

I agree with "Iwritecode" with one difference. You don't have to dump all tanks first, you can tell by the color of the water and what goes floating by (strong stomach maybe required). With a clear fitting either on the trailer discharge or on the hose dump what you think is the black or sewage first and watch the discharge. The water will be brown to dark brown and you will be able to see pieces float by. If you are still not convinced, do what "Iwritecode" said.
bzac1954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 05:27 PM   #17

Some RV's with cold weather packs have a black tank valve right at the outlet of the tank and another one at the dump area. If the tank has a tank heater you want the waste to stay in the tank and not the pipe going to the dump area as the pipe and second valve is not heated and could freeze.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 05:37 PM   #18

I wouldn't worry about it if everything is draining unless there is a concern with what markb422 brings up.
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 06:14 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzac1954 View Post
I agree with "Iwritecode" with one difference. You don't have to dump all tanks first, you can tell by the color of the water and what goes floating by (strong stomach maybe required). With a clear fitting either on the trailer discharge or on the hose dump what you think is the black or sewage first and watch the discharge. The water will be brown to dark brown and you will be able to see pieces float by. If you are still not convinced, do what "Iwritecode" said.
When I dump using a clear elbow there's never been any doubt when I'm dumping the Black Tank. Hard to mistake gray water for the Black.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 11-09-2020, 06:48 PM   #20
D W

I'm guessing that this wasn't covered at the PDI? Anyway, this could easily be figured out at the dump station, or while hooked up to sewage. It would take all of about 5 minutes by experimentation.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, tank