Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2021, 11:54 AM   #1

Unhappy Trailer Underbelly Falling Off Under Fresh Water Tank on 2021 Salem FSX 17BHSK

Bought a 2021 Salem FSX 17BHSK brand new from dealer in February and took it on first trip where we weren't going to have city water hookups. Drove to campground with empty tanks and filled the clean water tank almost full at campground and used most of it during the weekend. Drove home 3-4 hours and when we got home I noticed the black corrugated plastic underbelly of the trailer had pull away from the I-beam and was exposing the clean water tank. In between the water tank and the plastic underbelly was a self tapping screw that looked like it had not been used, just sitting on the underbelly. I took a picture but i'm not sure how i upload it to this thread yet. I checked the tank level and it showed 1/3 full so i drained it and while it was draining i was able to push the underbelly lip back up under the trailer's I-beam lip. The fresh water tank looked pretty bowed out but i'm not sure if that's just how it is supposed to look. I was surprised not to see any metal straps going across the tank to secure it in place. I called the dealer and they're going to get me in to look at it in a couple weeks but just curious if anyone else has encountered this problem. Any advice on how to post the photo would be appreciated. Thanks. Happy campin.
drockhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 04:07 PM   #2

Underbelly Problem

We are going through a similiar situation. Brand new Cherokee, noticed duct tape underneath back of trailer. Sent service man under trailer and he said someone had done some work underneath and didn't finish the job. Now we are taking trailer back for the fourth time Friday to, hopefully, get it resolved. Issues with the blame game between the dealership and manufacturer while we wait for almost six weeks. Each trip is 2 1/2 hours. Even though it was that way off their lot they call it a warranty issue! Don't do it yourself, it's their problem. They need to fix it! They said the underbelly just came in so we'll see Friday. Finally threatened them with a Yelp review, that got some attention!
dqcoach1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 03:11 AM   #3

Similar thing happened to me. Here's a way to fix it.

One day I noticed some wire bundles laying on the ground at the front section of our Flagstaff 527BHS. I found a video that has some good ideas for fixing the problem.

Please see https://youtu.be/F7n6ZX2gmKM

I also plan to reinforce the tanks with plastic strapping.

Hopefully the video helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210223_161208.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	359.2 KB
ID:	252661  
CheyenneMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 01:55 PM   #4

I had the same issue with my 178BHK Fortunately I was picking it up at the dealer where it was having some warrantee work on the canopy. I just left it with them but I had to cancel my weekend camping trip :-( Someone else with a 178BHK posted in the forums that they had the same issue when they were out on the road

I'm assuming it will be covered by the warrantee, but i will keep you updated. We do a lot of boondocking at festivals, so this is mondo important. I'm hoping the black and grey tanks are better supported. I'm going to ask the dealer to check on that. Fortunately the service department is great at Crossroads Trailer so I'm not worried

Peggy
peggyann1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 04:01 PM   #5

Two weeks ago we took our 2021 Salem FSX 178HSKX out for its first trip. I observed the same issue. The underneath plastic covering had bowed down with a full tank of fresh water. The under covering had popped off the frame rail. I didn’t observe any fasteners that would have attached the undercovering to the frame rail. If there had been it’s possible the deformation of the water tank weight might have ripped them out. There was one strap I could see on the tank and it appears to be nylon. The tank was bowed around it. Certainly our dealer will get a warranty call on this. Disappointed spending $ and a fail on the first trip.
Snoopy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 10:13 AM   #6

Bad holding tanks

I have the same issue with my tank hanging below the camper pushing the under belly panels down . Hopefully they have fixed it I am picking it up today will come back and let you know
Bjbikr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, salem, tank, trailer, underbelly, water, water tank