Old 05-31-2019, 03:20 PM   #21

Always carry 1/3 full just in case ...
Frank & Cindy---S Class Solitude 2930RL (SOB)---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 14 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 03:40 PM   #22

I put a couple "safety ratchet straps" from rail-to-rail on mine.. Temporary, till I fix it with angle iron......for 2 years now....
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 03:48 PM   #23

I use to travel with my fresh tank full on my 07 Salem. It had the tank right above the axles and it towed better with the water tank full. Then I bought my 2016 Flagstaff Super Lite and found this website. I have been afraid to tow with water after reading everyone's stories. Last week I filled my tank up and drove about 10 miles. It didn't fall out but it did make my tounge light because the tank is at the very back of my trailer. Until I hear from someone else that has a trailer similar to mine with no issues then I'm going to be a little nervous about filling the tank and driving.
bigmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:49 PM   #24

I'm with Billy Bass. Forty gallons of fresh water adds 320 pounds of weight to you rig. All RV's are designed to easily carry that load while you are standing still in camp. The dynamic loads on the tank supports while full and travelling are not usually considered in the RV design. We still often camp at so-called "dry" campgrounds, but in almost every case, there is a fresh water source at the campground where you fill your FW tank before setting up camp. We always carry and extra 100-foot FW hose for those kinds of situations.

When travelling with empty tanks, we carry a 5 gallon jug of fresh water for any necessary use of our toilet.
Jakie-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 11:08 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmurph View Post
Then I bought my 2016 Flagstaff Super Lite and found this website. I have been afraid to tow with water after reading everyone's stories. Last week I filled my tank up and drove about 10 miles. It didn't fall out but it did make my tounge light because the tank is at the very back of my trailer. Until I hear from someone else that has a trailer similar to mine with no issues then I'm going to be a little nervous about filling the tank and driving.

While the underbelly of mine was off, I was able to look at the supports for the FW tank. Mine has 3 support bars under the tank. So it spreads the load on the cross bar rather than having a single bar in the middle. I've done a number of 200+ mile tows with the tank full or close to it. Now have well over 20k miles on the trailer. No issues so far. Like yours, my tank is as far aft as possible.

With that said, the waste tanks are all supported with a single band across the center of the tanks. So I'm a little more worried about them.

With

S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 11:25 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
While the underbelly of mine was off, I was able to look at the supports for the FW tank. Mine has 3 support bars under the tank. So it spreads the load on the cross bar rather than having a single bar in the middle. I've done a number of 200+ mile tows with the tank full or close to it. Now have well over 20k miles on the trailer. No issues so far. Like yours, my tank is as far aft as possible.

With that said, the waste tanks are all supported with a single band across the center of the tanks. So I'm a little more worried about them.

With
A lot of waste tanks are sort of Tee shaped, where the tank is supported by the ends of the Tee by a either a rail or the frame. Here's an example:

So your strap may be "extra." You might want to look again.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 04:39 AM   #27

The other thing about the waste tanks is that on my last trailer they were made out of a different type of plastic. It wasn't as flexable as the fresh tank. Much more rigid which may help. Even on my old trailer the fresh tank bulged when full. My waste tanks didn't.
Old 06-01-2019, 04:40 AM   #28

Sailorsam, how does your trailer pull when the tank is loaded? Mine was very unstable feeling to drive but I am very close on my numbers for my 1/2 ton truck.
Old 06-01-2019, 06:37 AM   #29

most of us just rebuilt the brackets our self
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:52 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
I put a couple "safety ratchet straps" from rail-to-rail on mine.. Temporary, till I fix it with angle iron......for 2 years now....

Thatís actually a really good idea. I usually donít travel with water but I have occasionally done so without issue when going to an unknown destination. Itís unnerving to hear these stories though!
I really donít feel competent working with metal doing some of the support ideas mentioned but this would be easy...
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:51 AM   #31

Water tank Fell out

I have a 2017 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite. We bought it new 2 years ago. Yesterday the fresh water tank fell out on the freeway. It has a full underbelly cover so I wouldn't have noticed anything wrong unless I took that off. It didn't fall all the way out. The hose connections prevented that. We were totally unaware so we continued to drag it on the freeway until stopping for gas. It was completely destroyed. I didn't think it was possible for a water tank to fall out! It is one year out of warranty but I think Forest River should take responsibility for something like this.
Dexxter43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 10:53 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexxter43 View Post
I have a 2017 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite. We bought it new 2 years ago. Yesterday the fresh water tank fell out on the freeway. It has a full underbelly cover so I wouldn't have noticed anything wrong unless I took that off. It didn't fall all the way out. The hose connections prevented that. We were totally unaware so we continued to drag it on the freeway until stopping for gas. It was completely destroyed. I didn't think it was possible for a water tank to fall out! It is one year out of warranty but I think Forest River should take responsibility for something like this.
Sorry to hear.
My dad has a 2306 like I do and he's in deinal about the tank. His underbelly is enclosed too.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:04 PM   #33

Had my tank supports repaired twice; still can't even fill the tank to sanitize them in the spring without bending the supports. I gave up and only camp with hookups now. Forest River just doesn't stand behind their products. Never again.
danking49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:11 PM   #34

There is already a huge thread for this topic called traveling with full tanks. FYI, link below

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...181592-17.html

Full tank test - A++
Filled our fresh water tank and drove 4 hours without any issues Memorial Day weekend. No sagging or odd handling, etc...

Filled quick and easy by attaching a washing machine hose with one end cut off to our white water hose. The cut off hose went about a foot down the tank fill tube and we had no back splash.

NOTE: the freshwater tank/trailer combo reviewed here is not a Forest River product.
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:30 PM   #35

I have a 2109s Mini lite .Looked underneath a few times .It looks like some 5 year old kids assembled it . There are 3 bars holding the water tank up and the tank is sagging between them . I usually only have about 5 gallons on board when I tow it . I have a mig welder and lots of tools . Sounds like another project soon . You should not have to rebuild a fairly new rv .
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:53 PM   #36

Traveling with full water tank

I have a 2016 Vibe 221RBS I have had many problems that Forest River, Vibe stalled and stalled on until warranty expired. They were very nice but that can still be a stall tactic. I will address the topic of this thread first. I never travel with full tanks, however I filled my water tank before crossing the Mexico border at Mexicali. After that I was hooked up to city water the remainder of the seven weeks there. Upon returning home I noticed a bulge with two sharp edges under my trailer. With much reluctance to open the sealed underbelly I finally did it. What I found was the cross-member supporting the water tank had collapsed. The supporting member was 1/8 steel 1"x 3" the top edge had been cut from a wider piece and had a razor sharp edge that had also completely cut through my heating vent that had been laid on top, on the other side of the trailer I found the main wire bundle had been cut in several places by the razor sharp edge. I had a new 3/16 cross member fabricated and repaired the other unnecessary damage caused by apparent incompetence at the factory. Who lays wires on top of a razor edge?
When my slide out was constructed they made the space between the two seat sides too wide and when the table top was used to fill the space it would collapse leaving the sleeping individual lying in the gap. I wanted a new table top made to the correct size, they would only add unsightly strips to each side to fill the gap.
My brakes on the left side grab smoking the tires. they told me they fixed it on two occasions but I now doubt they ever worked on it. I like the trailer but their attention to detail and quality suck.
Tom B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:05 PM   #37

Never have had issues bc I donít fill my tank. Thereís always somewhere nearby where you can fill. Iíve a 2018 Roo & my sense of it is itís a great average priced & designed unit that isnít built to withstand robust usage. Most RV need TLC
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:42 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by danking49 View Post
Had my tank supports repaired twice; still can't even fill the tank to sanitize them in the spring without bending the supports. I gave up and only camp with hookups now. Forest River just doesn't stand behind their products. Never again.
You are missing allot of good camping, fix the tank supports yourself. FR is not the only one with tank problems.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:23 PM   #39

Anyone have any pictures of the repairs they have done to fix this issue. What's the size of tank that is having the issues. I have a 2019 Coachman 204RD that has a 49 gallon FW tank.
Ruggybuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:51 PM   #40

We picked up a barely used 2016 21FBRS in April. Before the first drop of water went in the FW tank we had our local welding shop beef up the tank supports. We knew about this issue before we bought it but liked the rest of the camper well enough to fix it ourselves. No underbelly cover on this one which is fine with me. I can see the FW tank level any time I want.

Flat_twin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, travel, water, water tank