Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2019, 11:36 PM   #41

80/20?!!!
Holy expensive Batman!
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:43 PM   #42

My Coachman 204RD already has two straps that run side to side to support the tank but they boe when the tank is full. I can't see what additional supports are used because of the undercover. Would this be enough support for a 49 gallon tank?
Ruggybuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:11 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggybuggy View Post
My Coachman 204RD already has two straps that run side to side to support the tank but they boe when the tank is full. I can't see what additional supports are used because of the undercover. Would this be enough support for a 49 gallon tank?
To me they aren't which is why I replaced my supports with more substantial ones.

This shows the difference between the stock ones and my new Coachmen supports

This is with a full water tank
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:30 AM   #44

I've seen photos of my Ultra Lite (actually a year older than mine) with the FW tank dragging on the pavement. To minimize how often and how much water I carry in the FW tank, I have a 46 gallon plastic tank in my truck bed along with a filter. I connect that to the anti-freeze inlet (which I never use for anti-freeze) so the 5er pump draws from the tank in the truck bed.

Having the FW tank in the truck bed makes re-filling during long stays much easier (we are always boondocking or dry camping).

The 46 gallon tank was $106 shipped.

I have half-filled the 5er FW tank on occasion but usually, if I need more than 46 gallons, I add a couple of blue 7 gallon jugs in the bed.

Fortunately, my 2500 HD has a 3000# payload so I'm well under my payload even with 60 gallons of water in the truck bed.
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 05:41 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
To me they aren't which is why I replaced my supports with more substantial ones.

This shows the difference between the stock ones and my new Coachmen supports

This is with a full water tank
Thanks for the post. Can you tell me what size of channel and thickness you used? Looks like a good result.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:05 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elknut View Post
I have 2017 Roo 223. We mostly dry camp so we need to fill the water tank before we leave. After the first two trips I noticed one of the main beams for the tank was bent. Forest River fixed it and the next time I filled the tank it snapped the two cross braces that hold the tank up. It's now been at Camping World for two weeks while they talk with Forest River on how to fix better.

Has anyone ever had a issue like this?

thanks,
Fred
Yes my straps broke while refilling at Charlotte Motor Speedway two weeks ago so I went to a machine shop and got to 72” x 2 1/2” x 1/4” steel plates and installed them beam to beam underneath the tank this was a temporary fix and I used a floor jack to lift the tank back up to install the plates. It looks to me like a lot of work even to get to the brackets to have a permit fix but I will respond when I get into it
Herm404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:51 AM   #47

Travel with full Water tank

I for one agree with the gentlemen saying never travel with a full tank of water and no propane on (especially at gas stations).
The weight of the full tank is what worries me especially when going thru rough roads. Plastic tank full of water weighing 10lbs/gal. yikes!
After having our Silverback for 4yrs, I forgot to turn the valve from tank to city last trip when we hooked up at the campground and as my wife was standing in the kitchen she noticed that there was a bump in the floor. After we started looking at the floor we noticed that there was about a 2in. bump in the middle of the trailer so I went outside to look and the water was pouring out of the overflow. I immediately turned off the water and we opened taps in the trailer. It seems the overflow couldn't keep up with the pressure of the park. Luckily no damage was done, but I wonder what would have happened if we would have taken off with the truck to get some groceries and left the trailer hooked up. And that's another reason that I always shut off the water whenever we leave to go visit. I have read about people coming back and having pipe burst while they were gone.
Anyway, just my opinion to fill up the tank when you get closer to your destination if you have to.
Joe O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:30 AM   #48

We always travel with a full fresh water tank. But out tank sits inside a cabinet and on the floor, not suspended by straps under the trailer. Good old familiar city water on the road.

250 pounds of water (30gal x 8.34lb/gal) is a whopping 4% additional weight on a 6000 pound trailer and hardly worth thinking about.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:43 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe O View Post
I for one agree with the gentlemen saying never travel with a full tank of water and no propane on (especially at gas stations).
The weight of the full tank is what worries me especially when going thru rough roads. Plastic tank full of water weighing 10lbs/gal. yikes!
After having our Silverback for 4yrs, I forgot to turn the valve from tank to city last trip when we hooked up at the campground and as my wife was standing in the kitchen she noticed that there was a bump in the floor. After we started looking at the floor we noticed that there was about a 2in. bump in the middle of the trailer so I went outside to look and the water was pouring out of the overflow. I immediately turned off the water and we opened taps in the trailer. It seems the overflow couldn't keep up with the pressure of the park. Luckily no damage was done, but I wonder what would have happened if we would have taken off with the truck to get some groceries and left the trailer hooked up. And that's another reason that I always shut off the water whenever we leave to go visit. I have read about people coming back and having pipe burst while they were gone.
Anyway, just my opinion to fill up the tank when you get closer to your destination if you have to.
Agreed... Never had a problem locating a place to fill up.
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:51 AM   #50

If I could not travel with a full tank, I would either fix the problem or get a new RV that didn't have the problem. Period. If you can't use every aspect of your RV when traveling, why bother.
We boondock in the backwoods, VERY far from anywhere that has water. So we haul it in, in our tanks and extra water cans over many miles of unimproved dirt roads. None of us have ever had tank problems.
Never notice any difference in towing or mpg between full and empty. If 450lbs makes a difference for your tow vehicle, you need a different one.....
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:26 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
So no propane on or water when travelling. Next they will say don't put clothes on the closet rod as it might fold under the sheer weight of a couple t shirts..

I do both! Full water and used to run propane fridge on when travelling.
Yup, how else do you travel and not lose all your food? Grandpa always ran his LP fridge in the slide in when we were kids, so we had cold A&W root beer every time we stopped, I believe? (He spoiled us as kids!)

I always ran my slide in fridge for years, and just did in the new 2019 Nitro. Can't believe they would dispute preserving food on the road. It's called a Travel Trailer for a reason, right?
Captain Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:58 AM   #52

I primative camp about 50% of the time. I leave home with 25 gallons fuel and 110 gallons water. Generator and touring bike inside the toy hauler.

Without that capabliity, I probably would not own and RV. I like the trailers as they suit our style much better than any driving one. The driving RVs are for little people.
HDGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 11:01 AM   #53

Thanks all for the great responses. This is how we keep everyone aware of things.
So I'm going to pick up my Roo Saturday. They said they talked to Forest River engineering about it but don't know what they said.
I asked them what they did to fix it and they told me they pretty much put a cage around it. I'll take pictures and post them once I get it home.

I told them the fix for this is to make the tanks aluminum. they are not that much heavier and don't expand to bend the braces that hold it in. It would also be better for drinking water and be easier to maintain.

Fred
Elknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 11:13 AM   #54

Quote:
Thanks for the post. Can you tell me what size of channel and thickness you used? Looks like a good result.
Way Way overkill. Could have gotten by with much less. 4" x 1 3/4" x 3/16". Added 80# or so to the trailer.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:45 AM   #55

Some people here have used the angle irons from an old bed frame. If you don't have an old bed frame laying around you can get them at places like Salvation Army cheap.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 12:35 PM   #56

Quote:
Thanks all for the great responses. This is how we keep everyone aware of things.

So I'm going to pick up my Roo Saturday. They said they talked to Forest River engineering about it but don't know what they said.

I asked them what they did to fix it and they told me they pretty much put a cage around it. I'll take pictures and post them once I get it home.

I told them the fix for this is to make the tanks aluminum. they are not that much heavier and don't expand to bend the braces that hold it in. It would also be better for drinking water and be easier to maintain.

Fred
Unless you're making it very thick, aluminum will bow too. Pressure over a large area is an impressive thing.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 12:42 PM   #57

Quote:
Way Way overkill. Could have gotten by with much less. 4" x 1 3/4" x 3/16". Added 80# or so to the trailer.
Well you know the tank will stay put. I just ordered 3" wide channel 3/16" material and installing it this weekend.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:11 PM   #58

Quote:
Well you know the tank will stay put. I just ordered 3" wide channel 3/16" material and installing it this weekend.
Will easily be good enough.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:37 PM   #59

Quote:
Will easily be good enough.
I just finished installing my fresh water tank supports today. I used the old supports on the grey and black water tanks. I'll take pictures tomorrow and post
Old 06-08-2019, 11:12 PM   #60
Site Team

Quote:
I have 2017 Roo 223. We mostly dry camp so we need to fill the water tank before we leave. After the first two trips I noticed one of the main beams for the tank was bent. Forest River fixed it and the next time I filled the tank it snapped the two cross braces that hold the tank up. It's now been at Camping World for two weeks while they talk with Forest River on how to fix better.

Has anyone ever had a issue like this?

thanks,
Fred
My brother in law's fresh tank fell out the first time he filled it. Camping world came and got it (65 miles one way) and towed it in and fixed it, no charge, out if warranty. FR approved it immediately after seeing these pictures. Click image for larger version

Name:	received_373685636610998.jpeg
Views:	90
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	206785Click image for larger version

Name:	received_368994883963963.jpeg
Views:	94
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	206786Click image for larger version

Name:	received_853923224959437.jpeg
Views:	96
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	206787