Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2018, 11:12 PM   #41

The FW tank supports in Roo/Shamrock hybrids and Mini-Lite/Micro-Lite TT's are notoriously poor. See this link.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...de-129346.html

Pic in Post #20 show what the main problem is: they weakened the support, by making two slots, in order to not have to make sure they installed it in the correct orientation. Either way is correct with 2 slots.

That's why I laughed at this post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandl View Post
We've traveled thousands of kms with a full fresh water tank. Notwithstanding specific, circumstantial, tales of woe, why would a trailer manufacturer install a fresh water tank that wasn't intended to be filled before heading to the oasis?

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:26 AM   #42
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
The FW tank supports in Roo/Shamrock hybrids and Mini-Lite/Micro-Lite TT's are notoriously poor. See this link.

Pic in Post #20 show what the main problem is: they weakened the support, by making two slots, in order to not have to make sure they installed it in the correct orientation. Either way is correct with 2 slots.

That appears to be a specific, circumstantial tale of woe. Otherwise known as very poor engineering etc, etc. No laughing matter and... why would they do that? Carry on laughing...

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:50 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandl View Post
That appears to be a specific, circumstantial tale of woe. Otherwise known as very poor engineering etc, etc. No laughing matter and... why would they do that? Carry on laughing...
Call it what you will. The fact remains, there are lots of stuff on these things that I'm amazed they actually put on them and ask myself, "Why would they do that?"

You seemed to be surprised that they would do that.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:31 AM   #44
Just a member

Quote:
You seemed to be surprised that they would do that.

Lol... I've been around the block far too many times to get excited about shoddy engineering. What does surprise me, though, or rather, disappoints me, is the apparent absence of effort in taking the manufacturer to task over the issue. RVers are an industrious bunch and those affected by the issue have come up with some ingenious solutions. Notwithstanding, if the consumer don't hold the manufacturer's collective feet to the fire, how do we get them to quit selling junk?

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:33 PM   #45

You should always keep some water in your water tank when traveling. Should you blow a coolant hose or come across someone with a problem that water could be invaluable.
wmcclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:44 PM   #46

traveling with full tanks

From 2006 through 2016, I owned a 24' Artic Fox TT, using it to boondock in the back woods of Idaho 90% of the time. We needed to take full tanks as there was no other option. In that time, my fresh water tank literally bent one of the mounting brackets enough to allow the tank to drop about 4". I reinforced with some angle steel that worked for a few months. Next, I reinforced with 1 1/2' angle iron and never had the issue again. Understand this happened on Forest service dirt roads of Idaho; which are rarely anything but graded.
Given that water weighs about 8 1/2 lbs per gallon, the additional weight of a 40 gal water tank is fairly substantial. Add the inherent sloshing around of the water, the potential for issues could add up fairly quickly, not to mention the additional drag on fuel economy.
My 2c
ronncda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:50 PM   #47

If you travel with water in your F/W tank, you should have it full. There are no baffles to keep the water from sloshing. That sloshing will add a lot of force to the weight of the water as it moves. It'll affect sway as well.
'09 Rockwood Roo 233s
'03 1500 Silverado LS

I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you.
It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
The things that come to those that wait will be the scraggly crappy junk left by those that got there first.
popeye59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:30 PM   #48

Is it fresh water, grey water or black water.

I like this thread, i belong to several automotive technical forums and i see opinions allot with allot of passion. I think all here are right the JUNK we Drag behind our trucks is always in question with respect to who, how and what went into putting them together.

But first off your boon docking you have to take H20 with you, ???? where does it go? what about the case of diet coke, Bud lite, box of the best vino 8 hamburgers, 6 hot dogs and the coupe bags of chips??? No i'm not O'k with my fresh tank falling out but all that you take with you goes somewhere and I have never been boon docking where they had a dump station. So yes check your equipment Use an equalizing anti sway hitch and don't exceed the DOT sticker on the door for total load and single axle load and you will be OK. I've seen far more vehicles on there roof and TT spread all over the interstate than i have one pulled to the side of the road with it's udders dragging....

If your going to worry about the fresh tank you better worry about the other two or three? and yes i have camped and towed long before the current rig.

Rick

2017 282Rk 2016 F350 SD Power stroke (because i don't like to sweat)
1960fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:40 PM   #49
tootall1

Just a thought. Water weighs 8lbs per gallon, so before heading down the hwy
check your liquid weight.
Have a great summer of camping.
tootall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:55 PM   #50

Poor tank support design

Quote:

That is how I almost lost the tank on my 2015 23IKSS. The spot weld at the end of the angle piece broke, and it bent at those slots. I read about tanks having a problem and looked at mine— it was about to fall out. I bought heavier angle and slid it up behind/under their piece which I straightened. So far it's seems to be holding. We boondock a lot and carry water much of the time.
TeacherLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:00 PM   #51

Fresh tank support problem

I had a problem in October 2017 with my 2016 Flagstaff MicroLite 25 KS travel trailer. While traveling down Interstate 44 with nearly a full fresh tank, a weld on the front tank support broke and started dragging/sparking on the pavement. Fortunately, friends traveling behind us called on the cell and told us. We were able to prop in up and make it to Oklahoma City where a welding shop re-welded and reinforced both the broken weld and the other 3 support contacts. It was a poor design, but when contacted, Forest River said they don't recommend traveling with full tanks!! May want to check how yours is installed.
ArkansasTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:22 PM   #52

Send a message via Yahoo to Magee
[QUOTE=aeblank;1842141]You guys are giving the mfg to much credit for *designing*.

Exactly.
Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:31 PM   #53

If I can’t travel with water, I don’t want it.
Jbrowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:39 PM   #54

Interesting thread. I've never had a problem with the water tank and use it more for tongue weight adjustment than carry spare water. But, as far as fuel mileage goes, it has been my experience that the weight is not a factor. The difference in weight for my TH is close to 1,600 pounds heavier when the toys are loaded. After numerous trips over the same route (with three 6.2% grades) I have never seen any difference in mileage regardless of weight. Same thing with the LQ horse trailer which can be over 4,000 pounds heavier when the critters are on board. Same mileage.

Obviously the large frontal area has more effect on mileage than weight. We generally pull at 65-70 mph (75+ in west Texas) so there's a lot of wind resistance. I will say that if we slowed down to 55 mph or so the mileage really increases but haven't done enough traveling at slower speeds to see if the weight change is a factor.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:46 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerjean View Post
I have recently read some very troubling posts on another forum regarding traveling with full freshwater tanks.

I have a 2018 Sonoma (Mountain Edition) and the undercarriage is sealed so I can't check this out for myself.
Does anyone know if it is safe to travel with the tank full ( we dry camp a lot). Will it need to be reinforced to be safe?
My husband thinks the tank sits on top of the frame and is already reinforced.

I wrote to Forest River but have not heard back.

Thank you for any help
Yes, they are made to travel full. Check your labels and you will see two weights, one dry and one a full. I usually only fill to 1/2, unless I am dry camping, them I will fill it.
frankraney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:56 PM   #56

Our 3850rl Cardinal is in the shop as I write this. The fresh water holding tank fell out of the brackets and tore through the underbelly and ground a hole in it while traveling north bound on HWY 101 with approximately a 1/3 tank of water and probably less. I fill it before heading out to just as the 1/3 full light flickers, then I draw from that to fill the toilet with just enough water for the chemicals. The tank was located between the rear cross bars with three metal non welded braces under it. No bump, no warning just a passing car waving and flagging us down and pointing to the trailer.
We have been RVing for many years and would have never thought this would ever be an issue.

If you have any concerns I would not hesitate to lower the belly and check the tanks support. If the cross braces are not welded or screwed in place get them done so they can’t slip out like ours did.
This our third 5th wheel and we have never had anything like this happen before. So odds are you’ll be fine.

I do have to say Sam at Forest River has been a great help in making sure this is being taken care of.
Mistye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:56 PM   #57

I’ve traveled with full water tanks numerous times with 5 different motorhomes by 3 different manufacturers and have had no issues.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:56 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerjean View Post
I have recently read some very troubling posts on another forum regarding traveling with full freshwater tanks.

I have a 2018 Sonoma (Mountain Edition) and the undercarriage is sealed so I can't check this out for myself.
Does anyone know if it is safe to travel with the tank full ( we dry camp a lot). Will it need to be reinforced to be safe?
My husband thinks the tank sits on top of the frame and is already reinforced.

I wrote to Forest River but have not heard back.

Thank you for any help
Travel light. Take 10 gallons Max on road. If you need full tank do it closest to camp site. New TT and FW do not have heavy enough supports on the ones I've worked on. Water weight is 8.3 pounds to the gallon so conserve gas also.
bonzo63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:06 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
I’ve traveled with full water tanks numerous times with 5 different motorhomes by 3 different manufacturers and have had no issues.
Motor homes typically have the tank above the frame. Yours is probably under your bed, right?

Old 06-21-2018, 09:35 PM   #60

For those of you who are asking the question "why would an RV Mfg. build a water or holding tank that was not designed to be full when traveling?", my response to you is: Remember, they build these things as cheaply as possible. And unfortunately, far too many RV designers (the engineers) are not RVers themselves and never see all the stuff that shakes apart on the road. Poor reinforcement and undersized or too few tank straps are not a rare situation. Think, how many of you have experienced drawer slides in their RVs kitchen or bedroom that the screws rip loose after the first year because all they were screwed into was the thin luan paneling? Do you really think they do any better when building tank straps and their connections to the frame? Every one of my many RVs over they years, except the last one a KZ Stoneridge, has suffered from some type of tank strap failure or bending or bolts falling out.
bill32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel, water