RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 09-01-2020, 08:42 PM   #21

Check the allowable cargo weight on your door jam sticker. On our 19fbs Micro Lite, when loaded with a full tank of water and 40lbs propane, we are left with about 150 lbs. cargo capacity. For that reason I never travel with more than 5-6 gallons in the fresh water tank (added to the 6 gallons hot water)
Old 09-01-2020, 08:51 PM   #22

A couple decades ago I made a long trip with a near empty FW tank. I was SURE I could just fill up at my destination. Since that trip I have never left my home without a full FW tank. Face it, water may not be available close to where you are planning to stay.

As for tank supports, my 2018 had adequate tank support to keep it from falling out. I just didn't like the water trapping sag so I added a couple pieces of Superstrut to hold up the bulges.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 08:53 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSchutts View Post
Hello,
Not worried about anything other than if the tanks on my trailer can take bumpy mountainous roads while full.
I'd fill the fresh water tank at home and see if you see any signs of 'bowing'. If you see signs that it might not hold, brace it before you leave.
Old 09-01-2020, 09:17 PM   #24

I've wrenched on RV's on the side for several years. Whether it be a FR product, Keystone, Jayco, Grand Design, or just about any other TT or fiver ... the fresh water tanks are not supported very well for traveling with a full tank. The straps are very similar to plumbers tape. Some FWT have a step molded in them near the top that sits on a piece of angle iron cross-ways with the frames, but still have some fashion of a strap across the bottom. With a full tank of water, they all bow down some as the tanks are not that thick walled and usually only two straps hold the bottom of the tanks up in the frame. I'd add a strap or two or at least replace the thin straps with something wider and add some 1/8" rubber padding between the strap and tank itself. For those of you who regularly travel with full tanks, I don't deny your word, but I will point out you've been lucky. Perhaps being full leads to less slosh, but you still have the weight hanging on basically plumbers tape. I'll repeat that I've been under several different brands of RV's and none have very impressive FWT holding straps.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:27 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSchutts View Post
Hello,

Not worried about anything other than if the tanks on my trailer can take bumpy mountainous roads while full.
Best to crawl underneath and have a look. When we got our 2018 Cherokee, I was underneath redoing the the FW tank drain and grabbed the underbelly strap that was holding it in place and it TORE right off. Next day, son and I had three braces welded in place under the tank.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:30 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawac14 View Post
Check the allowable cargo weight on your door jam sticker. On our 19fbs Micro Lite, when loaded with a full tank of water and 40lbs propane, we are left with about 150 lbs. cargo capacity. For that reason I never travel with more than 5-6 gallons in the fresh water tank (added to the 6 gallons hot water)
He doesn't have a WEIGHT ISSUE.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 11:20 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBass View Post
If these braces is sufficient then why have I seen these braces break or bow on this site
Itís not like the highways are littered with fresh water tanks. If youíre that concerned with the fresh tank, the black tank when full is a lot heavier, even the grey tank.

Yes there are incidents that occur, but they are rare.
Palinduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 11:36 PM   #28

I changed out the small C channel that came with the trailer with much larger C channel. No more bow of the supports.

This shows the difference in size.

babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 11:37 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palinduff View Post
Itís not like the highways are littered with fresh water tanks. If youíre that concerned with the fresh tank, the black tank when full is a lot heavier, even the grey tank.

Yes there are incidents that occur, but they are rare.
On most trailers, the fresh is much larger than either the grey or the black and you tend to travel less miles with either of those completely full
Old 09-02-2020, 12:12 AM   #30

Fresh water tank supports

We added supports on our 2019 Geo Pro G19FD last year after reading bout all the posts about tanks sagging and or falling out. So glad we did it. Search the forum and you will find many posts of ideas and solutions that others have made. That being said, we travel only when we know the water quality or availability is not satisfactory. Our trailer and tongue weight after going to the Cat scales and getting everything weighed when fully loaded is almost maxed out, (that's an another exercise you must do soon to really know what you are pulling, lots of posts about that too).

Picture is upside down, cant get it flip rightside up, but you can see the design, anyway.

You can see the strap also on the grey tank all the way across to black tank out of the photo, in foreground. I put a rubber belting to cushion and stop chaffing between alum bars and tank. I put a long bolt thru the flat bar centered between the grey and black tanks to support those tanks for good measure additionally.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5858.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	372.6 KB
ID:	238201  
Treybecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:37 AM   #31

Two parts to this post. 1. Is your trailer structurally able to withstand the load of carrying a full tank? 2. Should you travel with a full tank because of the additional weight? The only way to know for sure on the structure is to look. That may involve removing the bottom of the trailer. The other issue would be, where is the tank in relation to the axles. Is it behind, or in front of the axles. The answer to that is key to the optimum 60% 40% loading of the trailer for proper handling manners at highway speeds.
The other part is should you. I generally don't travel with water if I know it will be available where I'm going. We dry camp (in the hills above Colorado Springs), where no water is available so I haul a full load up the hill. I really notice the difference, (60 gallon tank), but there is no other option. Water is 8 pounds per gallon, so you can figure that into your maximum load capacity.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:44 AM   #32

Thank you!

To all of you that responded,

Thank yall very much for the support and opinions! I am so grateful to have a good group to help me through the "noob" phase of RVing!

Sincerely,

DaSchutts
DaSchutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:06 AM   #33

For lurkers this should be checked before considering a camper or RV.

Fixing to head out with our Roo for a week at a full service site. Even so we will be traveling with a full freshwater tank for use on the road. No worries as the tank sits inside a cabinet on the floor of the camper, not hanging on the bottom. Fresh water, range, and refrigerator on the road allows the use of rest areas without having to go inside the buildings. Never more than 25 feet from a bathroom.

-- Chuck
Old 09-02-2020, 12:18 PM   #34

Not a big deal unless you are talking about 50 or 60 gallons but a gallon = 8.34lbs.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 12:35 PM   #35

I have a 40 gallon tank. That's 333 lbs. That's such a small fraction of my total weight it's not even noticeable. That's less than two small adults.
Old 09-02-2020, 03:23 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I have a 40 gallon tank. That's 333 lbs. That's such a small fraction of my total weight it's not even noticeable. That's less than two small adults.
Its not the weight that worry me it the way the support braces are made they are cheap and then
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 03:39 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBass View Post
Its not the weight that worry me it the way the support braces are made they are cheap and then
Then you should look at my post #28 to see how I solved that problem.
Old 09-02-2020, 03:53 PM   #38

The easy answer is to empty the tank , look at it . Then fill it up and take notice of the difference . I believe that it will sag very much and be scary looking , also because of the big " belly " your pump suction will not reach the bottom and will reduce the amount of water that you can use .
wanderingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:03 PM   #39
PhD, Common Sense

If the belly looks so much different between empty and full, then it makes sense that, as the tank nears empty, a lot of the belly will disappear, making the bottom water more accessible.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:08 PM   #40

I keep hearing about the tank belly reducing the available water to the pump. I'm not do sure that is the case. If the pump pickup comes from the top of the tank and is a fixed length and the tank top does not move the available water does not change assuming you fill it all the way. The volume of your tank changes.

If you add a fixed amount then yes, when the tank bellies you will not be able to retrieve all of the water. If you fill until overflow and your tank bellies during the fill, you still have access to the same amount of water. Your pickup pipe/hose does not get shorter.

2020 Rockwood Roo 19
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, travel, water, water tank