RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 09-07-2020, 11:26 PM   #61

Iíve had at least a dozen different RVs over fifty years. Trailers, fifth wheels, pick up campers, Class C, and class A. I always travel with a full tank and have never had an issue. I almost never camp at places with water. Several hundred thousand miles.

The tanks should be properly braced. If not it is a warranty issue.

If the salesman told me not I wouldnít buy from him. Not because I believe it but because he is clueless.
Old 09-07-2020, 11:29 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Towed View Post
Slightly off topic but our tank is inside under our bed but we are considering replacing it with one mounted underneath in a sturdy frame of my design. My question is though, currently our water pump is right at the level of the bottom of the tank. If we moved the tank under it would now be perhaps 8 to 10 inches above the tank pickup. With under-mounted tanks are there concerns about the pump losing prime, or needing to be primed initially? Weíve always had gravity on our side but this would change that.
Yes, priming might be needed. Once in 50 years for me at start of season.

You should have 3 way valve at pump suction for antifreeze. You can use that to prime.
Old 09-07-2020, 11:31 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
You would have to see the profile of the tank before and after. If the bottom bulges and it isn't stretching...then what is happening? More than likely the sides start to angle and the top also angles down. Assuming that is what happens, the volume before and after stays the same, the amount of water you can actually use goes down and the tank is getting stressed where it doesn't need to be.

There have been people that have posted where their tank has cracked. There are also people that have lost their tanks on the road because supports fail. That is a fact. Why take the chance of stressing a tank that is VERY difficult to replace in the first place and/or losing a tank on the highway?

Here is a guy on the RVnet forum who had this bulge. So you truly don't have a problem with this?

This was his correction. In addition to the supports he changed how the water was pumped out of the tank.

My trailer is the bigger sister of his trailer but on mine they put some very lightweight c channels on it as well. Even those light weight c channels didn't do much which is why I added much bigger supports.
That is a problem. Take it back!
Old 09-07-2020, 11:35 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDguy View Post
That is a problem. Take it back!
Did you not read what I wrote? Not mine. However, he did a great job of fixing the issue.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 11:41 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Did you not read what I wrote? Not mine. However, he did a great job of fixing the issue.
I did read. My comment was generic.
Old 09-07-2020, 11:52 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDguy View Post
I did read. My comment was generic.
Of course you did say THAT is a problem.

Don't quote me and make a comment next time.
Old 09-08-2020, 01:07 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palinduff View Post
... If youíre that concerned with the fresh tank, the black tank when full is a lot heavier, even the grey tank.
What? Given that almost all gray and black tank capacities are smaller than the F/W tanks, how do they get "much heavier than the F/W tanks?
Old 09-08-2020, 01:12 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palinduff View Post
I believe his black is 30 gal vs 37 gal fresh. Black waste water would be much heavier than fresh water with all the solids. It depends on where you boondock I suppose. I have to travel quite a distance to dump mine. Iíve never had an issue and I go 400 km to my spot (52 gal tank), knock on wood.
Do you have actual data for this or just blowing smoke?
Old 09-08-2020, 01:26 AM   #69
Senior Gold Member

I usually Carrie enough water to get me through The first few days of travel unless Im going to somewhere close which will be dry camping or electric only. Most water tanks are conceal in the bottom above the belly shroud so they are not easily seen. I have heard of tanks not being well supported and even dropping out but you should be good to go with a new trailer if you travel partly full and donít encounter rough roads and potholes. I would only travel full if you are going shorter distance to dry camp. Weight doesnít seem to effect miles per gallon as much as you might think. I now have a 33 foot Class C motorhome with the FordcV-10 and I get about 10 mpg when solo and 9 mpg with the 3000 lb car in tow and thatís at 60-65 mph.
Old 09-08-2020, 06:15 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSchutts View Post
Hello,

We purchased a 2020 GeoPro 19RD. And when I asked the dealer about traveling with water he said he wasn't sure that the fresh water tank was braced properly and it may cause damage if its full while traveling. I know that it can reduce mileage because of the weight and sometimes affect the towing of the vehicle to a certain extent. We won't be going long distance with full water but when we get to the area we are going to want to fill up and drive the last 50 miles or so to our boondocking spot. Now with that in mind the last 50 is mountain overpasses and bumpy/hilly dirt roads in the national forest near Colorado Springs CO. Does anyone know if this model has specific bracing made for this? Or information in the handbook that says its okay? I just need a push in the right direction as to where I can locate this information. I figure it has the "off-road" package with additional clearance and better tires. It is also solar powered so its basically designed to be off road and boondocking... i can't believe that the tanks wouldn't be braced for this type of travel as well?
I had my water tank fall down on the front axel of my trailer, it wasn't properly attached when they built the trailer. The dealer welded the tank brace in place because there was nothing holding it in place. In my opinion Any travel trailer should be OK to run a full tank of water, that's what they are made for. I've been pulling travel trailers for over 50 years and this last one is the first one to have that happen to. Quality control sucks on TT's.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 04:03 PM   #71

Quote:
Hello,

Not worried about anything other than if the tanks on my trailer can take bumpy mountainous roads while full.
Call the manufacturer..
frankhaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:26 AM   #72

Well, after reading all of the replies, it took 50 and 71 answers to get to what I think is the "right" answer, when in doubt, "contact the manufacturer"! Wouldn't that be the most logical and prudent thing to do, especially if its a brand new RV?

But, this being a forum, of course there is going to many varied opinions and solutions to wade through, which in itself can or will be the learning process of "your" RV, or, all types of RV's in general.

To me reading all of the replies, the one that kept popping out that makes the most sense is for the OP to crawl under his rig to see exactly what kind of bracing/supports are on his particular model of TT.

Back when I had my Georgetown motor home I noticed the side panel where the water heater tank is stored was bulging out more than the other storage panels alongside a 34 foot rig. I queriied the question of this Forum to the cause, just like the OP did with his question, and got many great responses with an issue Georgetown's had with their water tank bracing. There wasn't any! All that held the 10 gal. water tank in place in its compartment was the outside bulging side panel held in place by two crappy self tapping metal screws into a cheesy metal framing. I laughed at the R.V.I.A. sticker on the rig by the door, oh yeah at a cost of $350 to the original puchase MSRP. Hmm, propane and electric and an unsecured water tank. My brother fixed the problem (lucky for me to have an excellent mechinic as a bro) by adding wood blocking through bolted to the frame and the water tank mount bolted to the blocking. Side panel door was then pop riveted along the bottom edge 6 times.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 12:20 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
Well, after reading all of the replies, it took 50 and 71 answers to get to what I think is the "right" answer, when in doubt, "contact the manufacturer"! Wouldn't that be the most logical and prudent thing to do, especially if its a brand new RV?
You would think so. Unfortunately, manufacturer information is not always correct.

Case in point. I was asked by Customer Service what hitch I was using in response to a problem I was having.

I replied a Equal-i-zer 10,000/1,000 WDH anti sway hitch.

The reply came back from an engineer.

"The weight distribution hitch you have on your trailer is rated too high for your unit. We believe that these would be causing extra weight to be put on your axles, causing your axles to lose camber. "

I have the email.

I almost spit up my coffee. This engineer obviously did not know how or what these hitches do.

Just in case you want the #s.

SPECIFICATIONS for our trailer.
Hitch Weight:728 lb. UVW6009 lb.CCC 1719 lb.

Have fun.
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 12:43 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Seems like fresh water tank supports failing is fairly common with ultra light types of RVs. A google will bring back all kinds of information on this.
When the goal is lighter overall weight, some other aspect (like strength) usually suffers.
Just came back from 10 days at a KOA, while there my wife and I went for a walk...... trailer watching..... while wondering walked by an Open Range (dont recall model) but was an "ultra lite" and something was odd about it. Closer look and realized the fresh water tank was laying on the ground along with belly membrane and insulation. Tank was located right in front of the axles. The trailer was there for a couple of days so it "Just" happened. The trailer was rather new but dont know how roughly it was towed to get there. So was this a one of? Made on Wednesday trailer? Brand bracing issue? Or the sun moon and stars just lined up that day. Dont know just know what I observed. I wanted to take a pic but wife said no, owners would not appreciate, guess she was right on that one. I personally haul a couple of gallons of water for possible coffee/bathroom break or emergency. When going to a Provincial Park, I fill up when I get there and carry the full tank a kilometer or so. The vision of that Open Range trailer was numbing. But after RVing for ten years and tenting prior to that this was a one of.

Kevin
tenttotrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 02:16 PM   #75

I have a half of a 55 gal plastic drum and a pump if I need it.But but since I bought the new camper last yr all I have use is full hook ups .I never put water in my tank yet.
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 12:30 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenttotrailer View Post
Just came back from 10 days at a KOA, while there my wife and I went for a walk...... trailer watching..... while wondering walked by an Open Range (dont recall model) but was an "ultra lite" and something was odd about it. Closer look and realized the fresh water tank was laying on the ground along with belly membrane and insulation. Tank was located right in front of the axles. The trailer was there for a couple of days so it "Just" happened. The trailer was rather new but dont know how roughly it was towed to get there. So was this a one of? Made on Wednesday trailer? Brand bracing issue? Or the sun moon and stars just lined up that day. Dont know just know what I observed. I wanted to take a pic but wife said no, owners would not appreciate, guess she was right on that one. I personally haul a couple of gallons of water for possible coffee/bathroom break or emergency. When going to a Provincial Park, I fill up when I get there and carry the full tank a kilometer or so. The vision of that Open Range trailer was numbing. But after RVing for ten years and tenting prior to that this was a one of.

Kevin
DAMM! Only thing I could think to say.
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 08:30 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenttotrailer View Post

Kevin

Is it possible that the owner had removed the belly cover and lowered the tank himself for repairs or other access? If the tank was laying flat on the ground I'd probably think that way as if it "fell" then there would most likely be remaining supports at odd angles as well as the tank partially supported on side or end. Belly cover would also most likely be sagging irregularly.

So many possibilites.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:43 PM   #78

Quote:
Hello,

We purchased a 2020 GeoPro 19RD. And when I asked the dealer about traveling with water he said he wasn't sure that the fresh water tank was braced properly and it may cause damage if its full while traveling. I know that it can reduce mileage because of the weight and sometimes affect the towing of the vehicle to a certain extent. We won't be going long distance with full water but when we get to the area we are going to want to fill up and drive the last 50 miles or so to our boondocking spot. Now with that in mind the last 50 is mountain overpasses and bumpy/hilly dirt roads in the national forest near Colorado Springs CO. Does anyone know if this model has specific bracing made for this? Or information in the handbook that says its okay? I just need a push in the right direction as to where I can locate this information. I figure it has the "off-road" package with additional clearance and better tires. It is also solar powered so its basically designed to be off road and boondocking... i can't believe that the tanks wouldn't be braced for this type of travel as well?

Any trailer that can't handle a tank full of Fresh water, gray or black is a POS trailer and shouldn't have ever been built and seriously needs to be junked.

I'm not trying to be mean but seriously the entire point of the tank is so you can haul stuff in it. Do you only fill your truck gas tank half full because your afraid it might fall out?

Fill it up and run it. If it falls out take it in for warranty OR go back and have them fix it now. In no way should you be concerned.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 07:42 PM   #79
REL

We have a 2019 Vengance 25v. We leave home every time with a minimum of 50 gal. In 22 trips only once did we stay at a campground with hookups. I'm going to reinforce the tanks this weekend with superstruts as I'm starting to see sag in all three.
REL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 07:54 PM   #80

If you live near an industrial metal supply place, just go there. Way cheaper than the superstrut stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by REL View Post
We have a 2019 Vengance 25v. We leave home every time with a minimum of 50 gal. In 22 trips only once did we stay at a campground with hookups. I'm going to reinforce the tanks this weekend with superstruts as I'm starting to see sag in all three.

Tags
fresh water, tank, travel, water, water tank