Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2020, 02:19 PM   #1

Traveling with Fresh Water Tank Full

Hello,

We purchased a 2020 GeoPro 19RD. And when I asked the dealer about traveling with water he said he wasn't sure that the fresh water tank was braced properly and it may cause damage if its full while traveling. I know that it can reduce mileage because of the weight and sometimes affect the towing of the vehicle to a certain extent. We won't be going long distance with full water but when we get to the area we are going to want to fill up and drive the last 50 miles or so to our boondocking spot. Now with that in mind the last 50 is mountain overpasses and bumpy/hilly dirt roads in the national forest near Colorado Springs CO. Does anyone know if this model has specific bracing made for this? Or information in the handbook that says its okay? I just need a push in the right direction as to where I can locate this information. I figure it has the "off-road" package with additional clearance and better tires. It is also solar powered so its basically designed to be off road and boondocking... i can't believe that the tanks wouldn't be braced for this type of travel as well?
DaSchutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 03:26 PM   #2
Site Team

The weight of the water does very little to affect fuel mileage. It's the frontal air resistance that affects it way more.
You might notice a half percent lower mpg with the water weight.
But it can affect the trailers load balancing but a good WDH with integrated sway control should handle it.
I nearly always carry a full FW tank and I have never had any problems. But I don't have a marginal tow vehicle and I have a 4pt Equal-i-zer WDH.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 03:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
The weight of the water does very little to affect fuel mileage. It's the frontal air resistance that affects it way more.
You might notice a half percent lower mpg with the water weight.
But it can affect the trailers load balancing but a good WDH with integrated sway control should handle it.
I nearly always carry a full FW tank and I have never had any problems. But I don't have a marginal tow vehicle and I have a 4pt Equal-i-zer WDH.
Hello! Thank you for your reply. My trailer is max 3800 fully loaded and the TV i have is for 11800lbs + I have the WDH. Not worried about getting the trailer up/down stuff. I am more concerned if the tanks are properly braced to take the bumps and sloshing water up and down and over things.

Do you also have a GeoPro?
Old 08-31-2020, 03:37 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Some rigs seem capable while reports of others say they've had issues.
Some models even changed bracing mid year.

The only way to know for sure what YOU have is look.

If you are that concerned about the weight/mileage what are you going to do when you fill your fuel tank or an extra person or two want to go along?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 03:43 PM   #5

Often asked question! Two groups on this issue. Those that gonna carry come hell or high water and those that dont.

I personally dont carry water until or when I have to. Have never cammped at a place where I cant find water easily when close to my destination or at destination. Many stories about people dropping tanks and the weight and sloshing pressure. Many add reinforcement.

Just gotta do whats comfortable to you. Bi partisan on this one issue. I often drive with full black and grey but dont on the fresh???? Dealer is not going to commit.
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 04:07 PM   #6

Hello,

Not worried about anything other than if the tanks on my trailer can take bumpy mountainous roads while full.
Old 08-31-2020, 04:08 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSchutts View Post
Hello! Thank you for your reply. My trailer is max 3800 fully loaded and the TV i have is for 11800lbs + I have the WDH. Not worried about getting the trailer up/down stuff. I am more concerned if the tanks are properly braced to take the bumps and sloshing water up and down and over things.

Do you also have a GeoPro?
No, i don't own a GeoPro but you posted this in the General Tech and Repair section, not the Rockwood sub-forum.

If you wanted GeoPro-specific feedback, this thread should be moved to the Rockwood sub-forum.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 04:26 PM   #8
Brake is on left

Quote:
Hello,

We purchased a 2020 GeoPro 19RD. And when I asked the dealer about traveling with water he said he wasn't sure that the fresh water tank was braced properly and it may cause damage if its full while traveling.
TTs are supposed to be self contained. Gotta take water in and waste out. If it isnt braced properly I would not have left with it.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 01:11 PM   #9

we HAD a 2019 Geopro 19FD.
I would not tow with a full tank of water.
keep in mind that a partial load may create weight shifting but its only 8 lbs per gallon for a US gallon and the tank is 30 gallons on yours? so possibly 240 lbs.
its whether the straps are designed for road conditions and the possible shifting.

I know people with a 40 foot 5th wheel who travel with water tanks filled but the supports can handle it. Geopro - I wouldn't
Old 09-01-2020, 01:37 PM   #10

Why would any company make a trailer that is not designed (or at least claim to be designed) to carry full tanks. Are there "no-boondocking allowed" trailers available for sale? That being said, RVs can be very poorly/cheaply made and need extra supports installed for piece of mind, but I'd be surprised if a manufacture would make a camper that they marketed as being unable to carry full tanks. Has anyone come across this?
wharfrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 01:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wharfrat48 View Post
Why would any company make a trailer that is not designed (or at least claim to be designed) to carry full tanks. Are there "no-boondocking allowed" trailers available for sale? That being said, RVs can be very poorly/cheaply made and need extra supports installed for piece of mind, but I'd be surprised if a manufacture would make a camper that they marketed as being unable to carry full tanks. Has anyone come across this?
Seems like fresh water tank supports failing is fairly common with ultra light types of RVs. A google will bring back all kinds of information on this.
When the goal is lighter overall weight, some other aspect (like strength) usually suffers.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 01:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wharfrat48 View Post
There are posts on the net where people have submitted their FW tank laying on the pavement or partially off the trailer and what some have done to beef up the undercarriage to support water transport - so yes to answer your questions.
Old 09-01-2020, 01:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
There are posts on the net where people have submitted their FW tank laying on the pavement or partially off the trailer and what some have done to beef up the undercarriage to support water transport - so yes to answer your questions.
As I said in my post, I realize RVs are not always made well enough to do the things that the manufacturer claim they can do. In fact, after reading all those "posts", I ended up adding additional supports to my fresh water tank as I almost always boondock and travel with a full tank. I was wondering if any campers were actually made/designed not to carry a full tank.
wharfrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 02:21 PM   #14

We have a Rpod and always travel with the 30 gallon fresh tank full. I prefer to boondock in campgrounds with no hookups, and since these usually only have a "central water supply" they are not convenient for filling up.
mrm43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 02:30 PM   #15

Our friends have a Rockwood Mini Lite. He asked the dealer if he could travel with the water tank full, the dealer recommended against it. He likes dry camping as well, so he tried it and nearly lost his FWT. He added in some supports under the tank.
mrm43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 03:21 PM   #16

My opinion I woudnt go a long distance with a full load of water..If you stop like you said 50 miles or less you might be alright.Look back in this forum you will see where people had to brace up there tanks they will belly.These campers are made light so that means less metal less weight
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 04:04 PM   #17

Fill it up and go. I always fill mine for boondocking and I drive 4 hours. You’ve got more than enough TV if it’s rated at over 11,000 lbs, you probably could get by without WDH, but you may as well use it. Just try to load evenly. The bracing on those should be sufficient, 37 US gal tank = about 300 lbs.
Max Tow (10 speed, 3:73, 11,700lbs), HD Payload (2440lbs)
2015 Puma 253 FBS
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe
2000 Honda EX 400, Rad Rover 6 Plus
Palinduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 04:12 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palinduff View Post
Fill it up and go. I always fill mine for boondocking and I drive 4 hours. You’ve got more than enough TV if it’s rated at over 11,000 lbs, you probably could get by without WDH, but you may as well use it. Just try to load evenly. The bracing on those should be sufficient, 37 US gal tank = about 300 lbs.
If these braces is sufficient then why have I seen these braces break or bow on this site
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 04:13 PM   #19
Scoundrel

Quote:
Hello,

We purchased a 2020 GeoPro 19RD. And when I asked the dealer about traveling with water he said he wasn't sure that the fresh water tank was braced properly and it may cause damage if its full while traveling. I know that it can reduce mileage because of the weight and sometimes affect the towing of the vehicle to a certain extent. We won't be going long distance with full water but when we get to the area we are going to want to fill up and drive the last 50 miles or so to our boondocking spot. Now with that in mind the last 50 is mountain overpasses and bumpy/hilly dirt roads in the national forest near Colorado Springs CO. Does anyone know if this model has specific bracing made for this? Or information in the handbook that says its okay? I just need a push in the right direction as to where I can locate this information. I figure it has the "off-road" package with additional clearance and better tires. It is also solar powered so its basically designed to be off road and boondocking... i can't believe that the tanks wouldn't be braced for this type of travel as well?
Your GeoPro 19rd is very similar to my Micro Lite 19fd. I suggest that you consider beefing up the fresh water tank supports - especially if you're going to be bouncing around Colorado public lands. https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...de-129346.html

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 06:13 PM   #20

On our last TT I would sometimes go full and sometimes go empty depending on destination. Something I did was I added some 2" wide metal strapping under the fw tank for good measure and to keep the bottom from ballooning. The tank was located right over the axels and if we hit a big bump the axels would hit the bottom of the tank. Something more to be concerned with is tank location. If the tank is located forward or aft, you need to go either empty or full as rv tanks have no baffles. If the water in a half full tank starts to go side to side it can make the trailer very hard to handle. Another issue I had with an empty tank was bounce. The empty tank would bounce in the frame and it actually broke the vent hose connection off the side of the tank. So I fixed the connector and added a couple nylon straps over the top of the tank to keep it from bouncing.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, travel, water, water tank