Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2008, 09:13 PM   #1
Pulling For Fun

Traveling With Full Water Tank

Traveling with water tank full. Aside from the fact that the extra weight would lower the mpg a bit, does a full load of water in the rear affect the handling with the weight behind the axles?

2007 Dodge Ram Laramie 1500 4X4 Quad Cab Hemi 3:92
Superchips Programmer/Dynomax Exh/drilled airbox + K&N
Equalizer Sway Control/Backflip Tonneau, 20" American Racing Mags

Hellwig Pro Series Springs/Ultra Fab 3502 Elect. Tongue Jack
Tandem Honda EU2000i Generators

2008 829FKSS
Dodge Magnum Hemi/72 Chevy Nova 454
lorencherylp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:26 PM   #2

We camp "dry" when we do Civil War reenacting in Florida, and we drove 200 miles there with a full water tank, and did feel a bit sluggish, but not any sway issues under 72 mph. (dry means no water or electric, or sewer. In other words, a open field- shady tree, if your'e lucky!) So we must carry in our own water and carry home our sewage, too. I installed a second battery to the front, and I noticed the excess water weight more when heading home.
We haven't really used the camper yet at a distant full facility campground, So I can't compare fuel savings, but I got about 7.5 mpg. at 65/72 mph. when my truck was stock, and I really haven't been anywhere yet after the mods- (see my signature). It should be better however, and I'm gonna slow down next time !! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 12:41 AM   #3

I would say that it depends many factors... where exactly the tank is located, how much water is in the tank, your tongue weight, anti-sway & load leveling system. A short trip between campsites with some water may give you a good indication on how the handling may or may not be affected.

Last year my dad's Airstream club went to Alaska and during the trip one of the members flipped his trailer. It was totaled. My dad stated that the member had pretty full tanks at the rear of the trailer and when he tried to avoid a hazard on the road the sloshing of the water in the tanks affected the handling of the trailer causing it to go off the shoulder, catch tire on the the edge of the asphalt resulting in the flipping of the trailer.

I travel with enough fresh water that I need for using the toilet in transit. Our version of extensive dry camping is a Wal-Mart parking lot so not much water is required. I always empty my grey and black before I leave each campground as well.

2013 Camping Days: 22
2012 89 2011 50 2010 61
OregonCamper's Pics click here
OregonCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:09 AM   #4

We don't use our water tank to carry water for travel, we use two one gallon milk containers and fill them with water so while traveling if the potty is needed then we have the water for it. We set the water containers on the shower floor while we are towing. I see no reason to carry extra weight unless you are in the middle of no where camping.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:02 PM   #5

We travel with full tanks regularly because we boondock often. I have not noticed any handling issues and the change in fuel mileage is not noticable.
out4stlhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08flagvlite View Post
We camp "dry" when we do Civil War reenacting in Florida, and we drove 200 miles there with a full water tank, and did feel a bit sluggish, but not any sway issues under 72 mph. (dry means no water or electric, or sewer. In other words, a open field- shady tree, if your'e lucky!) So we must carry in our own water and carry home our sewage, too. I installed a second battery to the front, and I noticed the excess water weight more when heading home.
We haven't really used the camper yet at a distant full facility campground, So I can't compare fuel savings, but I got about 7.5 mpg. at 65/72 mph. when my truck was stock, and I really haven't been anywhere yet after the mods- (see my signature). It should be better however, and I'm gonna slow down next time !! Randy
randy
how did i miss you, we have been to those re-enactments a few times

back on topic
i never carry full water.
it gets me to close to being over weight on the axles.
but we do carry about 20 gallons for those unexpected potty breaks
Old 05-11-2008, 10:54 PM   #7

water issues

I travel with full tank unless I know where I am going. last year I did not fill my tank due to weight. We hooked up to water at the state park and it was full of sulfer. It took two more trips to get that completely out of the system. I drained the tank, Did not flush and did not drain the water heater 6 gallons and it took three trips to get it out.

I now always taste and smell before I contaminate my system.

I even keep a 5 gallon tank empty that I can go find good water. We can get by with being very conservative the entire weekend.

good luck
donawilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 05:04 PM   #8

We Dry camp quite a bit, the only thing I notice is the Gas mileage, water is so heavy, we use the Reese DC sway
Old 05-12-2008, 11:36 PM   #9

We always keep the Fresh water 1/2 full or better. Never know when you may need it.

2008 Chevy CCab 5.3L 4WD Z71
2008 FR Surveyor 291
Champion Genset
Slpybear, Mrs Slpybear, Three Cubs
slpybeartx is offline   Reply With Quote